Cavity Wall Insulation - Damp/Damage Claims

Options

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I sent CIGA an email just before I started the discussion here saying I now wanted to escalate to a claim against MP for all the unnecessary work we had done which made no difference to the damp patches in the house, and to claim for the condemned chimneys, and should we go through them (CIGA) or start an action ourselves. I had a reply to say they had forwarded my email to MP! So I wait to hear from them but MP has already told me that they will not pay anything... I didn't realise MP and CIGA were so closely aligned..

But you are not making a claim against MP, you are claiming against your warranty with CIGA. By stating you want to claim against MP and sending this email to CIGA it is right for them to bounce it back out of their office.

From my perspective, which may be quite different from yours, you do not seem to have a clear strategy of who you are going after.

Assuming you have a valid CIGA Guarantee, and I am guessing you have because they have agreed to be involved (but check this), then you should not be having any communication with MP.

Nothing is easy, and you will need to battle. Hence my earlier comment about tactics and strategy.
  • Rufusthered
    Options
    That may be true! But no-one has really given us any advice so what are our options? How can we do the right thing when we do no know what that is and there seems nowhere to find out?! We turned to CIGA for guidance in desperation and I seem to recall that they said they will arbitrate..
  • Furts
    Options
    That may be true! But no-one has really given us any advice so what are our options? How can we do the right thing when we do no know what that is and there seems nowhere to find out?! We turned to CIGA for guidance in desperation and I seem to recall that they said they will arbitrate..

You should have a guarantee from CIGA comprising one sheet of A4. This is in simple terms and says little, but does explain about complaints/claims going through CIGA. There is possibly no advise out there which may be why the solicitors did not want to assist.

Arbitrate sounds worrying - it suggests Arbitration. If so this costs!
  • CavityAnswerman
    CavityAnswerman Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2018 at 11:46AM
    Options
    Well it's true. Cavity wall alreasy is on its way to becoming the next PPI. So far these proving to be not so {Text removed by MSE Forum Team} companies are securing compensation and damages for the majority of homeowners brave enough to take a punt. Average payout of 23k so far with the highest being 84000 pounds. FACT.
    As an ex installer and technical inspector of said cavity wall insulation inits various forms.....I knew this was coming for the last decade. The quality of work was virtually unmonitored and consequently barely any houses were installed correctly. The scale of the problem is epic.
    CIGA do not have the funds to sort this size of a problem.
    I survey 5 properties a day for energy efficiency and 4 out of 5 would fail insulation inspection be it cavity or loft.
    The problem is caused by ill-considered ad hoc approaches to insulating old housing stock. In 1950 there was no insulation in the loft no insulation in the walls and single glazing. I can remember the condensation running down the glazing as a kid..... improve windows to double glazing .......condensation migrates to walls and ceilings ......insulate loft and walls .....where's the condensation going ???? To any point that the insulation hasnt covered or filled en mass! If you have random mould growth in areas you wouldn't typically expect on external walls and ceilings after having these works " completed " I'd be seriously looking to being one of the millions entitled to claim ........this will be my new career as I have the knowledge to help anyone I can and it's such a shame most of the {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}who installed it will reinvent themselves as new companies helping you to remove it . Please please please let this be heavily regulated this time as all the extracted housing will need reinsulating !!! Personally I believe this will go all the way back to the energy companies who paid for the work as they are the ones who benefitted from the "carbon saving" that didn't actually happen due to the standard of the works ....... watch this space ....
  • CavityAnswerman
    CavityAnswerman Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2018 at 11:47AM
    Options
    Well it's true. Cavity wall alreasy is on its way to becoming the next PPI. So far these proving to be not so {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}companies are securing compensation and damages for the majority of homeowners brave enough to take a punt. Average payout of 23k so far with the highest being 84000 pounds. FACT. All NO WIN NO FEE 25% of your comp goes to solicitor (PPI took 39%) that's 25% of the compensation FOR CAUSING the damage....you get All 100% of the award to PUT THE DAMAGE RIGHT

As an ex installer and technical inspector of said cavity wall insulation inits various forms.....I knew this was coming for the last decade. The quality of work was virtually unmonitored and consequently barely any houses were installed correctly. The scale of the problem is epic.
    CIGA do not have the funds to sort this size of a problem.
    I survey 5 properties a day for energy efficiency and 4 out of 5 would fail insulation inspection be it cavity or loft.
    The problem is caused by ill-considered ad hoc approaches to insulating old housing stock. In 1950 there was no insulation in the loft no insulation in the walls and single glazing. I can remember the condensation running down the glazing as a kid..... improve windows to double glazing .......condensation migrates to walls and ceilings ......insulate loft and walls .....where's the condensation going ???? To any point that the insulation hasnt covered or filled en mass! If you have random mould growth in areas you wouldn't typically expect on external walls and ceilings after having these works " completed " I'd be seriously looking to being one of the millions entitled to claim ........this will be my new career as I have the knowledge to help anyone I can and it's such a shame most of the {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}who installed it will reinvent themselves as new companies helping you to remove it . Please please please let this be heavily regulated this time as all the extracted housing will need reinsulating !!! Personally I believe this will go all the way back to the energy companies who paid for the work as they are the ones who benefitted from the "carbon saving" that didn't actually happen due to the standard of the works ....... watch this space ....
  • moneysaver2018
    Options
    dealing directly with ciga or installers doesn't work! even if you have spoken to them and they have refused, myself and a neighbor used cavity-solutions.co.uk really quick and simple, and the house is dry!!
  • moneysaver2018
    Options
    dealing directly with ciga or installers doesn't work! even if you have spoken to them and they have refused, myself and a neighbor used.cavity-solutions.co.uk really quick and simple, and the house is dry!!
  • dws_72
    dws_72 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also after a little advice.
    We moved into our house approx 5 years ago and the previous owners had the cavity wall insulation put in we know this as it was on the survey. And CIGA have saod they hold a copy of the guarantee.
    When we moved in we have some French doors fitted to the rear of the property and according to the ciga website any structural modifications to the building will invalidate your guarantee..
    Any one know if this is correct. ??
    Anyway, since moving into the property we have had no end of issues with damp. Lots of condensation on Windows. Black mould on ceilings upstairs which is hard to get rid of. I've replaced several sets of blinds and curtains due to the damp and mould that I get on them and can't clean off.
    Had some issues downstairs on walls where paper is pealing off and also paint around the windows on the kitchen plus other bits..
    I've had a company contact me and say they can claim or something for upto 25k but has to have been fitted within 5 years or could have been 7
    . But he said that was moving upto 10 soon.
    I can obtain a copy of my guarantee from ciga for 25 quid. But has anyone had any joy with these sorts of claims and would you suggest doing it or should I just go through ciga
    Thanks for the advice
  • Furts
    Options
    dws_72 wrote: »
    I'm also after a little advice.
    We moved into our house approx 5 years ago and the previous owners had the cavity wall insulation put in we know this as it was on the survey. And CIGA have saod they hold a copy of the guarantee.
    When we moved in we have some French doors fitted to the rear of the property and according to the ciga website any structural modifications to the building will invalidate your guarantee..
    Any one know if this is correct. ??
    Anyway, since moving into the property we have had no end of issues with damp. Lots of condensation on Windows. Black mould on ceilings upstairs which is hard to get rid of. I've replaced several sets of blinds and curtains due to the damp and mould that I get on them and can't clean off.
    Had some issues downstairs on walls where paper is pealing off and also paint around the windows on the kitchen plus other bits..
    I've had a company contact me and say they can claim or something for upto 25k but has to have been fitted within 5 years or could have been 7
    . But he said that was moving upto 10 soon.
    I can obtain a copy of my guarantee from ciga for 25 quid. But has anyone had any joy with these sorts of claims and would you suggest doing it or should I just go through ciga
    Thanks for the advice

Did the previous owners have problems with damp? If not that raises questions. If you have similar occupation, and the same number of people in the home, then lifestyle becomes a question.

Your French doors may invalidate the warranty but this could only be reasonable if the area with damp was around this location.

Constant damp and condensation on windows caused by defective CWI could happen, but when you say ceilings are also a problem this sounds like taking matters too far. Here the question of lifestyle crops up again.

CIGA will try to wriggle out of a claim - all insurance outfits do this and this is a simple fact of life. That means if you contact them you should have eliminated any lifestyle issues first. If you have not done this then this CIGA are likely to throw this back at you making it difficult for you to progress your claim.
  • dws_72
    dws_72 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Did the previous owners have problems with damp? If not that raises questions. If you have similar occupation, and the same number of people in the home, then lifestyle becomes a question.

Your French doors may invalidate the warranty but this could only be reasonable if the area with damp was around this location.

Constant damp and condensation on windows caused by defective CWI could happen, but when you say ceilings are also a problem this sounds like taking matters too far. Here the question of lifestyle crops up again.

CIGA will try to wriggle out of a claim - all insurance outfits do this and this is a simple fact of life. That means if you contact them you should have eliminated any lifestyle issues first. If you have not done this then this CIGA are likely to throw this back at you making it difficult for you to progress your claim.

Really not sure what you mean by lifestyle issues.
    The people that owned the house before were an elderly couple. We have 4 in our household. Me my wife and 2 teenage girls
    We always open windows to keep the moisture down.
    Always open the window in the bathroom when showering or bath.
    Even in the summer when its lovely and warm. There can be moisture on the windows on the morning sometimes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback