Good dog food at reasonable price?

Options

Comments

• melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Forgot to say, cold pressed food is supposed to be the next best thing to natural/raw feeding, better than kibble which is extruded.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    bmthmark wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting your new dogs!
    Are you crazy two cocker spaniels?? lol

I have a young 1 year old cocker spaniel and he is absolutely crazy. But he is also such a kind loving dog. How old are your new ones?

I give mine dry food, we use a company called Oscar: https://www.oscars.co.uk/
    He has a beautiful shiny cost and is very active and healthy.

Good luck with your new dogs

I also use Oscar. The food is delivered (helpful to me as I'm older) and advice is readily available from knowledgable people. My dog is approaching 13 (on 1/3/18).
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Alvinism
    Options
    James Wellbeloved is a good hypo-allergenic food that doesn't cost a bomb. You can get a big bag for the best price on Amazon - 15 kg for £37.99. I use it for my bichon who has bad skin allergies.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    If its shiny coats, healthy dogs and no unset tums you want, then i swear by

https://www.fish4dogs.com/?gclid=CO2q9fCWg8QCFeLHtAodZw0AtQ

My three have been on it for years.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • abby1234519
    Options
    If its shiny coats, healthy dogs and no unset tums you want, then i swear by

https://www.fish4dogs.com/?gclid=CO2q9fCWg8QCFeLHtAodZw0AtQ

My three have been on it for years.

We get fish4dogs fish skin cubes for the dogs as treats, they adore them. I don’t get the dog food though as I don’t believe it provides everything they need in terms of nutrition

We use Akela, £40 for 10k so it’s expensive but they eat a tiny amount compared to what they were on with wainrights. They’ve been eating less and less so we’ve settled on an amount they’re happy with plus a small amount of wet food to make it exciting (a spoon).
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don’t get the dog food though as I don’t believe it provides everything they need in terms of nutrition

I'm curious, why do you think that?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    I'm curious, why do you think that?

So, the dogs used to be on raw and I got bored of it and decided I'd rather feed a nutritionally sound kibble.

I looked at Fish4Dogs, due to using their treats, and whilst initially I liked the fact that the ingredient list is quite simple it actually brought up some concerns. It's good if you have one of those dogs that is allergic to everything though.It has a low percentage of fish compared to the fillers, and it's blooming expensive for what you get. Cheaper to feed a higher quality food and supplement with a frozen fish a couple of times a week.

I think Allaboutdogfood explains it quite well (and I did my own research)
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0086/fish4dogs-finest-complete

As you might expect, Fish4Dogs is based on fish. The first, and therefore largest ingredient in both varieties is top quality fresh Norwegian fish. Fresh fish is both nutritious and highly palatable but it should be noted that, since it contains around two thirds water, almost all of which is lost during processing, the proportion left in the finished product will be considerably less than the 28% listed - probably more like 10% in fact. Even combined with the 11% salmon meal listed further down the list, that only gives the food a total fish content (not including the added oil) of about 21% which is quite low for this price bracket.

Fish4Dogs Finest is completely natural, hypoallergenic and grain free. As it's carbohydrate source it uses a combination of potato and pea flour, both of which are very unlikely to cause any problems but also won't provide much in the way of nutrients and in large amounts like this (together making up two fifths of the food), they could be regarded as fillers.
    Fish4Dogs does contain a very large dose of fish oils which are famed for their benefits to the skin, coat and joints due to their high levels of essential omega-3 and omega-6 oils.

With regard to it's price, £53.50 for 12kg puts it above many competitor brands, even of a higher quality.

Conclusion: Fish4Dogs Finest is a good quality, hypoallergenic food, especially for dogs with sensitive skin but for the price its low fish content and high proportion of fillers is disappointing.
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • jostenning
    Options
    My rescue dog has been on Oscar dog food since 2006 and he will be 14 this year and people still ask me if he's a puppy! I noticed a couple of other members are using Oscar and I really can't recommend it highly enough x
  • Edinburgh_Pooch
    Edinburgh_Pooch Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    I've got my dog on Poppy's Picnic which is a relatively new but very highly rated raw complete dog food. The contents are pure meat, veg, tripe, bone and other good things. My vet recommended I try a raw dog food as my dog was so fussy. She said to find one why included tripe as this was a sign of a good food. My dog produces far less poo on this diet and never has an upset stomach ever. Also he likes it and this is a very fussy dog who will leave a sirloin steak half eaten from Waitrose. I know some people don't like the idea of raw food but I read into it alot and it is highly rated. So maybe one to consider. For information my dog is a shihtzu crossed with a coton de tulear. The food comes frozen and you just defrost it as necessary. Only downside is you do need a big freezer.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On a related note, nice to see Pooch & Mutt breaking down the ingredients on Bakers dog food, showing just how awful this food is:

What's in Bakers dog food - http://www.poochandmutt.com/bakers_dog_food/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport