PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Fair enough they are tasty and cheap to make though and dare I say it they do freeze well

:P

If I were to make them I'd probably do something potato/kidney bean/onion/chilli based... it is the "spicy" bit that attracts me, more than the "bean" part.... beans are pretty lack lustre, although I'd not be against tossing in a few random butter beans for good measure if the mood took me :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :P

If I were to make them I'd probably do something potato/kidney bean/onion/chilli based... it is the "spicy" bit that attracts me, more than the "bean" part.... beans are pretty lack lustre, although I'd not be against tossing in a few random butter beans for good measure if the mood took me :)
    Sounds good though I'm not a kidney bean fan - no idea why they are the only bean/pulse I'm not keen on :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Sounds good though I'm not a kidney bean fan - no idea why they are the only bean/pulse I'm not keen on :)

I'll admit that I've rarely been keen on more than a few in a chilli con carne - opting instead, mostly, for using a tin of baked beans ...but they do lend a nice jaunty colour to some dishes .... and if I'm eating a spicy bean burger I'd expect a nice deep red colour inside :) So I'd use those for colour, rather than what they are, if that makes sense.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    For tea I had 2 bits of toast with one cheese triangle shared between them - I'm now out of cheese triangles.

Yesterday evening I fancied something sweet, but I've no choccies... I was pacing back/forth a number of times when I remembered ... Creamed Rice! Great. So I pulled a 20p can of 4ldi creamed rice from the cupboard and opened it. Half in a tub for another day, half in a bowl, cold, with jam :)

Breakfast today will have to be scrambled eggs on toast because I have bread and eggs and I don't fancy egg/soldiers or poached egg/toast.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll admit that I've rarely been keen on more than a few in a chilli con carne - opting instead, mostly, for using a tin of baked beans QUOTE]

I do that as well. I much prefer baked beans in my chilli to kidney beans. I think it tastes better :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I'm another one who puts baked beans in chilli and sometimes butter beans or lentils as well. ;)

I've no real plans for today though hope to get the rest of the fridge cleaned. How many jars/bottles of stuff does one women need........:o

Breakfast was toast with cottage cheese, a flat peach and a small glass of tomato juice. Lunch will be and egg & tomato roll. I'm not sure about dinner either spag bol using ragu from the freezer or I've half a notion for cod in parsley sauce. I've a piece of cod loin in the freezer that's been there for a while which would do nicely and I've plenty of milk so we'll see.:)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 15 June 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    I've just popped to L1dl for a couple of cans of fizzy pop as it's sooooo hot here (can't have the windows open as there's a building site and it's noisy/dusty) .... and I thought I'd pick up some cheese triangles, but they don't sell the boxes of 8 for ~59p. Instead they have a much bigger tub of an indeterminate number. So I'm biding my time until I can compare the cost between their huge box and a regular box....

I'm starving..... had some cornflakes earlier (instead of toast/eggs as I CBA in the end).

L1dl had baking spuds in their offer, 45p it said (I presume/Kg) ... looked and thought back to the fact I need to be eating what's in the freezer and NOT buying new food.... they'll still be there next week.... and it's not jacket spud weather :)

EDIT: Ended up having a cheese/salad cream sandwich for lunch. Then the other half of yesterday's tin of creamed rice, with jam.

Conscious of the crumpets I bought and haven't opened.... BB 16th though, so loads of time for those, or they can go into the freezer after I've defrosted it *fingers crossed for that bit*
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    It is really hot here as well today.

Breakfast today was Greek yoghurt and berries and then mid morning I just had to have a crumpet and a biscuit or two.

Lunch was a cheese salad sandwich and then a couple more biscuits.

Dinner is a small piece of steak with some new potatoes and veg and a chocolate dessert thingy I bought yesterday.

I'm still on track to get to Sunday night without having any odds and ends to use up. But I have found one of those lightly dusted fish fillets in the freezer and was going to have that tomorrow with new potatoes and veg, but I fancy it with new potatoes and baked beans now.

That would mean 1) that some veg wouldn't get eaten and 2) there would then be half a tin of baked beans hanging around.

I suppose I could always have scrambled eggs and baked beans for a breakfast instead of scrambled eggs on toast though.

Oh I hate decisions at the moment :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all

Hot & sunny here as well, forecast is over 30 at weekend, too much for me but the ripening fruit in garden will love it, including my grapefruit harvest. I may be kidding my self but I think I can spot incy wincy fruit swelling on the bush since the bees found the flowers. Fingers crossed

Off into town, it seems my local Asda is having a refurb, hence the odd clear out items I keep finding. Today's was a litre of virgin olive oil in flip top posh bottle, half price at £3.75. I use olive oil so it will keep, BBE is July 2018 anyway

Waitrose supplied dinner, YS fish pie. Maybe a tad too warm for that but it will do, perhaps add some frozen veg to it, could even steam some limp left over celery after a freshen up in fresh water

Lunch was a change, fancied a sausage sarnie, so used a pair from yesterday's pack, with some manky LO seen better days mushrooms. Used my new red spot frying pan which burns sausages just as well as the others did, but it at least it wipes clean now. Blob of classic brown sauce and lunch was lovely
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Options

Conscious of the crumpets I bought and haven't opened.... BB 16th though, so loads of time for those, or they can go into the freezer after I've defrosted it *fingers crossed for that bit*

The 16th is tomorrow. If you mean June?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport