We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all...

I just seemed to have been driving from a to b to c to.....
    mum is going back to her flat on Monday and we went there today to take some of her accumulated stuff from here.

we have had rain too !! not a HUGE amount but enough to kick start everything.
    the bottom 2 fields [ 2 x 5 acres ]we had chain harrowed and fertilised some weeks ago and they finally look like they are greening up.. hopefully a better hay crop this year.. our best was 1200 bales , our lowest 800..

the field jim jam was in is waiting to be de-weed sprayed so hopefully soon now they are sprouting up.. trouble is there has always been a boggy area which we assumed was some sort of overflow from the farms pond but it turns out its a 200 year old clay pipe drainage system that runs across [3ft down ] the field from various directions...and its blocked ! the guys dug down and a geyser shot up !! im not sure its JUST surface water and maybe comes from an underground spring ?? it all leads to a stream at the bottom of the field that "diverts" into friends lake and "diverts" out the other side back into the stream...

all my new planting round small pond no2 seems to be thriving.. I just have to join the leads and get the pond pump working.. I paid £15 for a waterproof electrical link thingy and cant bl**dy get into it to do the wiring ! nearly ended up jumping up and down on it !! so have bought another easier to do one and will crack on tomorrow..

just off to buy a broody coop as we have just had chicks appearing under a banty and as we didn't think they were going to hatch [obviously got our dates wrong ! ] not sure the others in with her will leave the chicks alone so will separate till a bit bigger..

need to get strimming too ! ive weed killered all the drive ... again !

I have a Gatwick pick up Tuesday evening
    and its only 3 weeks till son gets home from Canada so will try and get ship shape by then...

hope everyone that WANTS rain gets it soon ...

I will give choille a ring to see how she is doing
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    But in day dream news, I've seen s few places that could have potential...sadly not a small holding yet but gardens with some scope.

I'd not recommend a smallholding to anyone more interested in gardening than farm animals. They're uneasy bedfellows at the best of times! One always steals time from the other, and in the country, the wildness of everything around means that the weed problem is always more severe than in town. :(

It's pretty bad here at present, with the American willow herb growing faster than I can pull it....and glyphosate doesn't really stop it. So, it'll be out with the agricultural selective stuff next to zap those. I move on to that anyway around now, as the docks and thistles re-appear in the fields, although not in the horrendous quantities originally found.

How far can a vine weevil walk? I've tried various experiments in bumping them off without using expensive chemicals/nematodes, but recently I've just put badly infected compost into a barrow and then removed the lot 200m across the field to the bit of natural land at Mr Dog's end. They don't 'home' I suppose??? :eek:

I have to send our latest response to the conservatory company soon. I don't intend to pay them anything like the money we originally agreed for it, but I wonder whether I'd be better saying nowt and leaving that part of the negotiation until they've actually done the work?

I like to be up-front about things, not devious, but in this case I wonder if pursuing compensation now will just delay matters more and result in an even worse job.

The key thing is that we must first agree to use the large component they forgot to put in the contract, before they'll return and fit it properly, but if we do that, our bargaining power is then much reduced.

Theres one part of me that says, "Just get it done and then refuse to pay more than, say, 75% of the agreed price and bet they won't chase us for the rest," and another that says "You have them by the goolies right now, so put the pressure on for a deal, even if it means a longer stand-off!"

What do you guys think? They'll not go legal, and even if they did, we'd have lots of ammo for a counter-claim (small claims, no lawyers, we can handle it.....I think!:o )

Arrrggghhh! :(:(:(
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    I will give choille a ring to see how she is doing
    Thanks alfie.

Hope she is OK. Must've been quite a heated 'discussion' she got into....or then again, maybe not.......It seems this place is going super-PC.:(

I've just had one of my posts edited-out on another Forum here and I'm hopping-mad about it. :mad:

It wasn't anything I said that caused it, as I was very polite :A, but the person I quoted had called someone an @rse, so I was deleted too!

I don't want MSE to become emasculated like this. The place used to have some balls!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think Choille was involved in some of the political threads... so it may have been a mass cull. I find I have to just ignore an awful lot of idiots or I'd have been banned long ago!

I think with the conservatory company you need to take it a step at a time. Get it done, and then negotiate on price - you'll have a comprehensive list of the issues, and how badly they dealt with it, so a defensible case for not paying as they didn't deliver, and have massively delayed completion as a results. I tend to prefer completion bonuses for work done on time, but penalties for delay are normal in the construction industry.

Re. American willowherb - before I go out destroying is that the small pink thing? Should I be destroying it?

I keep finding slugs in the growhouse, so need to get stuff planted out. I'd intended to do it last week, but kept putting it off because the weather was awful. Which is lucky as we had a 4 hour thunder and hailstorm on Friday, with torrential rain. There was a lot of flooding, and it rained most of yesterday too, so things are pretty waterlogged, although water levels in the stream have dropped back down pretty quickly (I must do something about the weed though... I was going to take out a third of it on Friday...)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    dave.....

tott up what it will cost to PUT RIGHT..
    deduct this from their bill...
    get it put right ...
    sorted ???? ;)

they aren't going to argue it as you hld the purse strings and any £s are better than NO £s for them..
    if they don't agree to this tell them you will go to the small claims and be after compensation...

id take no prisoners myself :rotfl::rotfl:
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ditto what Alfie says. If you're doing it do it right and how you want it don't settle for secondbest.

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm with Alfie as well. You've waited long enough. Might as well go in for the long haul and get the very best deal you can.

I am more agardener than an animal farmer but I would like a small holding one day. Or maybe a cottage with land where I could have done animals and maybe a little cottage industry...ba boom!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    What do you guys think? They'll not go legal, and even if they did, we'd have lots of ammo for a counter-claim (small claims, no lawyers, we can handle it.....I think!:o )

Arrrggghhh! :(:(:(

Way I try to figure out this kind of conundrum is to put myself in the other party's shoes as completely as possible. List to myself all the ramifications for them (loss of face is a common one that small-business builder "blokes" can't face, that I can, for example). What are they currently losing? What are they losing day-by-day? What else is it costing (obviously the costs not yet paid, also bad publicity, hold-up on another job, bad feeling in work crew... ) everything.

Then I sleep on it.

.. and then try to find a way that's likely to appeal to them as as positive an exit as they are likely to get, saves them face, allows them the appearance of holding the moral high-ground, yet finishes off in my favour.

{Diversion of an example: I had a useless general builder do some rebuilding and plumbing in a bathroom for me fifteen years ago; hopeless, cost him an awful lot for all his copper & time, two-week estimate, and he was still unfinished by week four, but needed much re-doing - which I could do myself. He'd saved me the time I hadn't had at the time, and done all the really smelly, filthy & dusty stuff, but he hadn't the skill to get the pipework into small enough spaces, and he'd effectively given the bath two U bends, by dint of running the waste pipe down then up hill, so it wouldn't drain, and botched the shower.... Stalemate; he couldn't finish, but needed/wanted payment, I didn't want the hassle of getting someone else in/legal.... and he was actually a nice, honest (but extremely thick) guy. So, I paid him more! I got him in to do a patio and surrounding wall for me, so I could "have his help" to finish the bathroom plumbing myself, as I'd have the time, as I'd (honestly ;)promise ) allocated the time to do the patio myself (NOT!).

I barely needed his help, but invented reasons to consult him for advice. He contentedly did the patio, held the end of a piece of pipe occasionally, and was genuinely pleased not to have to finish. He even gave me a hefty reduction on the patio pricing, and admitted I'd helped him out of a hole.... I was much happier doing the bathroom than the patio!}

So, I'd offer a small amount towards the resolution, possibly to better any cheaper, easier resolution, and avoid a botch fix. Maybe pay towards new roof profiling... depends on the details of your "fix".. Or, you could have them renew another house window (if you want one done) and not worry they overcharge for that by a £100 or so...

I would make it clear this is a time-limited offer, and that if they don't act, you'll simply ask for them to remove all their unrequired fixtures and fittings within 21 days, and make good the damage, or you will then sue them.

However, one problem that you've given yourself by the delayed timescale is they are now in their busy season, and any resolution takes men off a paying job, putting them onto your (non-paying) one.

I think time-playing is now neutral; they've delayed getting payment long enough they'll survive it now, but you just want/need the danm job done and dusted... Your need is as great as theirs now. I'd push for a speedy resolution, or suggest legal action from now on.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies folks....I'm even more confused now!:rotfl:

I don't think I've explained the conservatory problems very well, but rest assured, it will be finished properly, and we already know it will be fully inhabitable, despite facing due south. That's the most important thing.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    So, I'd offer a small amount towards the resolution.
    We're going to drop the being difficult stance and offer an olive branch, so long as we're not required to sign any new agreement. They just come, put it right and finish off.

Then we'll talk money. ;)

Any variation on that and we'll ask they dismantle it, within a reasonable time limit, copied to the GGF, so there's a paper trail.

We're not so concerned now which way it goes. I'm sure we could have a replacement structure there by the end of the year, which is roughly where we wanted to be with it. Another firm, recommended by a friend, has confirmed they can connect to the existing windows and add their own roof, if needs be. :)

Right now, our main worry is our builder, who's gone from being a tower of strength to something of a liability. We're not going to lose sight of his previous good works, but the sooner he finishes now the better, because his mind is definitely elsewhere......I think he has health worries and the enormity of what he's taken on elsewhere is hitting home.

Why do we put ourselves through this stuff, eh? :undecided

In other news, you'll be amused to learn that I more or less managed the delicate art of fly casting with my new kit, but apparently not the even more delicate skill of tying on the fly. It was dusk when I packed up, still without actually connecting with a fish, but I have a horrible feeling there wasn't anything on the end of my line for the last half hour! :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback