MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Options

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Left Iresa last October. Eventually got my credit back after the switch was complete, but I only just got the 'final readings received' email last night. Guess they're clearing the backlog?

It's a shame. Every now and then it seemed like they were going to get a grip but it never came to be. It does demonstrate there's an absolute floor on energy prices though.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    Can anyone with previously paid out Ombudsman-ordered compensation, who is still a customer, confirm the compensation is still credited to your account? Mine has disappeared from the list of transactions under "Finances" in the portal, but I can't tell if that means they have uncredited it -- my account is too much of a mess to work it out based on what Iresa says my credit is. If it is still recorded as paid I guess it goes into the calculations for Octopus, but if not I guess I need to include it when I contact the administrators about my as-yet unpaid compensation.
  • psamuel
    psamuel Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like my £25 compensation has also disappeared.

Is this legal?
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    Can anyone with previously paid out Ombudsman-ordered compensation, who is still a customer, confirm the compensation is still credited to your account? Mine has disappeared from the list of transactions under "Finances" in the portal, but I can't tell if that means they have uncredited it -- my account is too much of a mess to work it out based on what Iresa says my credit is. If it is still recorded as paid I guess it goes into the calculations for Octopus, but if not I guess I need to include it when I contact the administrators about my as-yet unpaid compensation.
    psamuel wrote: »
    Looks like my £25 compensation has also disappeared.

Is this legal?

So I tried to work out if it's still accounted for somewhere. I downloaded Iresa's spreadsheet of how much it thinks I have used and added up all my direct debits. Including the compensation I'm within £5 of what Iresa thinks my credit balance is, so maybe it's just disappeared from the transaction list rather than actually having been reclaimed.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 August 2018 at 10:00PM
    Options
    And it's official...

Iresa announcement - Octopus Energy

Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most highly rated energy supplier, to take over your energy supply from Iresa. Your energy supply will carry on as usual, and any credit balance will be safe. You don't need to do anything now, we will be in touch with more information in 7 days.

Dear Adrian,

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has asked Octopus Energy to step in and look after Iresa's customers as Iresa have ceased trading.

Over the next few weeks, we will transfer you to our award-winning customer service platform on our cheapest tariff.

While this will cost more than what you're currently paying, it's priced to ensure we're a sustainable business. Although we've won numerous awards for our customer service, we make less than 5% margin, which covers the entire costs of running our business. Find out more about why we're not as cheap as Iresa https://octopus.energy/iresa/#cheaper.

Once your transfer is complete, you'll be free to switch to another supplier without any fees or charges, or simply stick with us if that's what you prefer.

Unfortunately you won't be able to switch to a different supplier while the process is underway, due to energy industry limitations - but we are working night and day to get you through this as quickly as possible.

Good to know:

Your energy supply will continue uninterrupted. You will not be cut off.
    Any money Iresa owed you is safe and will be credited to your new Octopus account as soon as possible.
    You will be moved onto Octopus's cheapest tariff which is hundreds of pounds cheaper than the Big 6.
    If you pay by Direct Debit, you don't need to change anything. This will transfer to Octopus automatically.
    If you are a prepayment customer, you will be able to top up in the same way you have been doing and will not lose supply.

There's no need to call or email us - we will be in touch within 7 days with an update.

We have a lot of work to do cleaning up Iresa's poorly managed accounts. It will likely take us several months to iron all the issues out, but we hope to have your account up and running within a week or two.

You don't need to do anything right now, but we'd appreciate you taking a note of your meter readings.

If you can, please make a note of your meter readings today and store them. We will ask for it soon. If you are away, or can't make a note, don't worry. It won't affect your switch and we will be in touch soon with more information.

Octopus is renowned for fantastic service, but please do not call or email us unless it's an emergency.

Here's what will happen next:

Within 7 days

We will contact you with an update.

Within 14 days

We expect to have most accounts reviewed, transferred, and operating properly. Please do not cancel your Direct Debit as we will move it over to us.

Within 21 days

Your switch will be complete, and you'll be free to switch to another supplier (but we hope you'll stay).

We are committed to making this as smooth as possible. We're proud of our reputation for customer service and ask that you bear with us whilst we begin the tidying process so we can give you the service you deserve.

For the latest information, please visit the Official Iresa Octopus Information Page. https://octopus.energy/iresa

Finally, it would help to know your plans, so we can plan accordingly:

- I plan to stay with Octopus Energy <clickable link>

- I will probably stay with Octopus Energy, if you offer fair prices and good service <clickable link>

- I will probably leave Octopus Energy for a cheaper supplier <clickable link>

- I plan to leave as soon as possible (and please let me know when I can do this) <clickable link>

Please bear with us, whilst we're working hard to tidy up the very messy information we've inherited from Iresa.

Love and power,

Jon Paull

Operations Director

Octopus Energy

P.s. Who are Octopus Energy?

We are the only energy supplier recommended by consumer champions Which?, uSwitch's Supplier of the Year, and backed by the £8 billion Octopus Investments.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wasn't exactly leaking secrets, my posting was off the back of the Ofgem announcement.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By "It's official", I only meant that that communication had just been received - no slight intended. Presumably it was received by all Iresa customers roughly simultaneously, although given the seeming staggering of stuff from Iresa...
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking for advice?
    I took the plunge and found a new electricity supplier soon as I received the news Iresa had stopped trading. I was in credit with Iresa by just a few pounds and there were only a few months left with my Iresa contract.

My new supplier is Enstroga and they have arranged for my new contract to start from the 20 August and I have set up a direct debit account for the payments. Reading the information from Octupus Energy is suggesting that any new contracts with alternative suppliers will fail, is this correct? If so should I contact Enstroga and cancel the contract that I have set up? and if so will I be subject to an exit fee?
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've received the e-mail saying that we are being switched to Octopus from Iresa, but we switched away from Iresa at the beginning of December (8 months ago).

I assume they are not going to try and switch us from our current supplier ?
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Exactly the same as darrren72 above except that our date of switching away from Iresa was 5th October. Had to wait until March before (after the intervention of the Ombudsman) they issued an accurate final bill and refunded my outstanding credit.

Although they have not sent me any actual bills, since switching Iresa have applied further charges to my account based on the theoretical usage that they estimated would have occurred had I not switched. I am slightly concerned that in the confusion of their implosion someone may get it into their heads to pursue me for this non existent purely theoretical debt.

I have e-mailed Octupus back with the facts and hope I won't hear from them again in relation to this.

What a shambles!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport