Options

Comments

• hichoslew
    Options
    Just registered to reply here

As an affected customer, this is what I found today
    aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/ycam-tco
    I can't post full link as a new user…

Amazon is the backbone of y cam, and is also likely the main reason why y cam broke its marketing promise

Anyway I bought from y cam directly but did go through PayPal and AMEX so will try both to get refund. Guess the mass effect will bankrupt y cam but that's the deal - you swallow your words I take my money back!
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well.... it was always going to be iffy that they could ever continue to offer 7 day free recording when not even Google, Apple or Facebook let you do it for free at unlimited.

To be honest the system wasn't well rated anyway and it was only the free cloud recording that most reviewers probably liked. Don't use it myself but I think most burglars will be out looking for these cameras as they will be sure nothing is being recorded....

Joking aside I think it won't be long before Y-cam will need to come up with a local storage method else risk people cracking their software to make it local storage.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As an affected customer, this is what I found today
    aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/ycam-tco
    I can't post full link as a new user…

Here it is;

https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/ycam-tco/
  • Cynicalgit
    Options
    Forgive me for disagreeing and I don't mean to offend but I think the statement, " Well.... it was always going to be iffy that they could ever continue to offer 7 day free recording when not even Google, Apple or Facebook let you do it for free at unlimited." doesn't really reflect the true situation IMHO

The cameras are much more expensive than a standard IP camera. The premium was basically a pre-payment for the cloud storage. Cloud storage is cheap and gets cheaper every year.
    The storage was limited to 7 days of very compressed video and you must remember that the cameras are not constantly recording for that time- I've got no figures to hand but I don't think that will amount to many mb of info to be stored- certainly far less than the gigabytes of storage offered for free by Apple /Google.

This was a blatant effort to secure an income stream for the company that they are not entitled to. What I anticipate happening is rather than increase income this is going to bring the company down. They tried to get an extra £60 a year off me but I'm returning my cameras to Amazon. I don't know their arrangements with amazon (and I note they use amazons cloud service) but anticipate the £400 refund amazon are giving me will make its way to the company.

So, for the sake of £60 pa greed they are going to be out of pocket by quite a bit.:rotfl:
    Classic CEO mistake of believing your own bull****
  • ballyblack
    Options
    website from 2015

9vgio3.jpg
  • Andywest
    Andywest Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Just filed enquiry with Advertising Standards Authority. ASA.
  • ballyblack
    edited 3 December 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    FREE FOREVER???

154de09.jpg
  • Biilbo
    Options
    Y s’cam no more . . . .
    So what system is everyone now going to use? What is the best on offer?
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    if any of you guys affected by this are in the Beds, Herts or Bucks area you should contact Jonathan Vernon Smith who hosts a daily consumer radio programme on BBC Three Counties Radio (11am -12pm).
    he is excellent and i'm sure would be very interested in this thread which you should link to him on his email:
    jvsshow@bbc.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/articles/2008/03/28/consumer_feature.shtml

good luck. this sounds terrible business practice and should be challenged.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Biilbo wrote: »
    Y s’cam no more . . . .
    So what system is everyone now going to use? What is the best on offer?

Interested in this too, am after 3 or 4 small, high quality cameras for in the home

I have 3 Y-cam indoors EVO cameras, 1 bought on Amazon marketplace, 2 bought new on Amazon, I'm going to return all 3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure