PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Little interest

Hi all,

My girlfriend and her sister have their flat listed for sale but have generated very little interest. The flat was listed first week of July and resulted in one viewing soon after. However, they have had no viewings since. I'd welcome any feedback on the listing itself to identify ways to improve its marketability - link below:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63410100.html

It is priced reasonably competitively for the area. The location is sought after and favourably located near Bournemouth beach.

Once sold, my girlfriend and I will be buying together so we are eager to accelerate things if we can.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    If you’re not getting viewings, it’s probably the price. Have you thought about reducing to generate interest?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2019 at 9:52PM
    The low sloping ceilings are a bit oppressive and claustrophobic. Get out the white paint and brighten up those smaller rooms! Not sure if it's the photography, but the walls/ceilings look grey/dirty and just.... off-putting.

The only other 2 bed flat listed for sale in that postcode is on at £214K - significantly lower than yours at 250K.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64353897.html

As for actual sold prices:

Flat 1, Highview, 21, Burnaby Road, Bournemouth BH4 8JF

Flat; leasehold, residential
    Sold 06 Aug 2018: £182,25

Do you happen to know how many bedrooms that flat has?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The ceilings do make it a bit atticy.

I wouldn't describe a flat as "duplex" merely because you own the final flight of stairs!

The Street View link takes you inside the hotel across the road.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Can't do a full more like this.
    2 beds for sale/SSTC within 1/2 mile.
    0-230 06/07
    0-240 09/10
    0-250 14/17
    0-260 16/19

Loads more if you go higher.

How does it compare to the 17SSTC that's what people are viewing and making offers on.
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    This building has no kerb appeal. It looks like a former hotel which has been turned into apartments. Its sad because the building interesting shape...... I would invest in some planters or hanging baskets to soften the look on camera.

Perhaps the best thing about this property is that it is less than five minutes walk from the beach. Why does it not say that.... What does a buyer think about "short walk"! Why not have a picture of the beach!

Pics are taken from the wrong angle, making all of the rooms look super small. Would never have guessed the lounge is 15ft by 18ft!
  • jamie_128
    jamie_128 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Needs much better pictures, perhaps a slightly wider lens.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most likely, it's price. I appreciate it's got a larger square footage than most 2 bed flats. However, most of that is only accessible to cast members of The Time Bandits.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Try dropping another 10k? Love Bournemouth beach BTW.
  • getmore4less
    for me although the living room is big on paper the two pics look like you can sit on the sofa to watch TV or eat at the table without your head hitting the sloping roof.
    With that issue it is a no go at this price point.
    It would be a curiosity viewing just in case if there was nothing else.

if you just look at 2beds within 1/4 mile any price we are at 27/17

Plenty SSTC over £300k so money is not short people are buying.

2bed 1/2mile 240-260 8/18

10 properties SSTC 4 of them within 1/4 mile

£250k is getting places with parking and gardens in conversions

this one £195k SSTC smaller but probably more useful space.

this one £170k for sale smaller but again more useful space.

then there is this one £210k in the same building.

I am really struggling to see £250k and suspect that any offer would be to far to be considered so would not bother until more realistic expectations were visible(ie a price drop).
  • getmore4less
    ethank wrote: »
    This building has no kerb appeal. It looks like a former hotel which has been turned into apartments.

Converted to 5 apartments 2000

formerly the Highview Hotel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/sets/72157626120013551/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills