We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just made the cake for Sundays show...wish me luck
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Good luck Mnd! :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    Just made the cake for Sundays show...wish me luck

What sort, my OH loves cake - good luck

Brought in the last of the onions, they're too big to store well so I'm going to chop and freeze them, I'll just grab a handful when needed for casseroles etc over the winter.

I've had a tidy up in the greenhouse today, broke the handle on the brush so that's a job for Mr Z, no doubt he'll add it to the bottom of his ever growing list of things to do. I might be quicker to invest in a completely new brush!!! At least he greenhouse looks tidy - at he moment but tomorrow is another day.
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Topher, sorry you've had such a bad season. You are not alone, and I am certainly no expert. It seems to have been a tough year all round I think!

I was expecting/hoping for a second bloom of blueberries, but no joy there. At least, I don't see any new buds or flowers yet and it now seems a bit late for round two.

My shop bought strawberry, June cropping, plants suffered a near fatal drought whilst we were on holiday in May and never really recovered. I didn't realise they were June bearing either until then. Saw less than 10 strawberries from them. I started some strawberries from seed that took forever to germinate (I had almost given up entirely on them), and have taken just as long to start producing (evidently they are everbearing, but I didn't know that when I started with them! lol). I literally ate my first strawberry, grown from seed, last night. lol. It was lush. There are now quite a few more forming, so that's positive, but it was never going to be enough to fill a punnet. I understand that second and third years are better for strawberries, and after that should be replaced with a new plant from one of the runners.

I've had a massive learning curve this year. And still have sooo much to learn.

As for the problems with some of your plants. I'm not sure. I have a book at home about vegetables, and all of the potential problems and how to treat them (or not, as is sometimes the case). I shall try to remember to look it up for you.

As for beans....when I planted mine, I had a similar issue. Pesky slugs! I then planted a new seedling, this time with a cut off plastic bottle placed around it, with some copper tape placed around the top edge. This seemed to be enough to keep them at bag long enough for the plant to get established. They still get the occasional snail/slug, which I pick off by hand, but they have suffered with aphids (been using a soapy water solution to spray on), and now later in the season the caterpillars are also trying to have a go! *rolls eyes*

This video has some helpful tips on dealing with slugs. Going to give the beer trap a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R7LkDigfDc
    Topher, don't despair, I think it's been an odd year for a lot of our gardens. I've had very few raspberries, no blackthorn, no cherry plum and maybe one damson (if it's still there). You've also moved a few things around recently, which might have disrupted cropping for a few seasons
    While I'm sorry to hear ofother people's disasters and sympathise, is was helpful to find that I'm not the only one. I'm also very grateful for the tips you've given me, I'd totally forgotten copper tape, I even have some in stock although I wouldn't have thought of making plastic bottle collars with it, so thanks for explaining that. Thanks also for the video link.
    T
  • Mnd
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for your good wishes.its a dundee cake, the class is for men only. im really pleased with it. We will be showing tomatoes cabbage lettuce peppers onions and potatoes.French and runner beans, African and French marigolds, sweet peas and asters.
    The cookery section, as well as my cake, my wife is doing biscuits, scones, lemon drizzle and fancy cakes. And im going to make sausage rolls, andctry not to eat them!

Busy weekend
    Annual target £24000
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks for your good wishes.its a dundee cake, the class is for men only. im really pleased with it. We will be showing tomatoes cabbage lettuce peppers onions and potatoes.French and runner beans, African and French marigolds, sweet peas and asters.
    The cookery section, as well as my cake, my wife is doing biscuits, scones, lemon drizzle and fancy cakes. And im going to make sausage rolls, andctry not to eat them!

home made sausages ?
    always fancied trying that, but chemo that made my bodily fluids toxic (including sweat) for two weeks out of six really dented my passion for making food gifts - I'm still not making bread even (and the last thing I need is a new hobby when my passion for linocut has barely progressed since 1988)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Topher wrote: »
    I'd totally forgotten copper tape, I even have some in stock although I wouldn't have thought of making plastic bottle collars with it, so thanks for explaining that. Thanks also for the video link.
    T

Top Tip (or Life Hack if you're under 30)
    If you've not used copper tape before, be careful.
    The edges can slit your fingers open without you even knowing. I always now wear gloves, and smooth down the edges with a plant label/old credit card etc.

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,931 Forumite
    Options
    Morning. I got outside yesterday and harvested strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, green beans and cucumbers. The butterflies have eaten all the leaves on the Brussels but they are still growing so I'm leaving them for now.

Also did some tidying in the greenhouse. There is a large squash in there, not sure how to know when it's ready.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    There is a large squash in there, not sure how to know when it's ready.

I **think** you tap them - if they sound hollow they're ready. You might need to google that to verify...

• Mnd
    Options
    home made sausages ?

No! That's a step to far for my limited baking skills. Sainsbury be good to yourself sausage meat
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family