We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    No! That's a step to far for my limited baking skills. Sainsbury be good to yourself sausage meat

I think I feel better now, though it's reminded me that my winter savory - classic sausage flavouring herb apparently - really needs cutting back (like thyme I think)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So pleased.. I think we had 33 entries in the show.. 9 firsts 9 seconds 5 thirds.. Highlights. Mens cake.. First.. Sausage rolls first and heaviest potato at 1.15kg...really pleased with our attempt
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    Options
    Well done mnd.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have a good recipe for apple chutney?

I can't keep up with the fallers and they're now ripe. Most recipes seem to say a certain quantity of apples but given how different they can be after you've cored them and cut out bruising it would be far better if they gave quantities in 'flesh', so to speak.

Obviously I can adjust quantities as you always do with cooking but this board normally has some collective wisdom to tap in to. :-)

In other news today made my first raised bed at my new allotment from 200mm gravel boards: 3 X 1.5m. By the end the sun was well up, far too tired and hot to do the second so came home, showered and breakfasted and fell asleep!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've found in the past, when having been given lots of apples, that they don't necessarily store well indefinitely so it can be useful to peel and chop them down and simply make a big pan of stewed apple (adding a little sugar to taste where appropriate)

If bagged up for the freezer in different sized bags it's then just a case of taking a suitably sized bag out of the freezer for making crumble, apple sauce to accompany roast pork, using as an ingredient in apple cakes, keeping a container of it in the fridge to eat with breakfast porridge or perhaps making up little pots of apple & yoghurt, or apple & sultanas for a work dessert or snack.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I've just done some prep (with a handy little peeler/corer machine - recommended) and now have a kilo of 'flesh' sitting in acidulated water.

For now I think I'll go your route, open a bottle of beer as it's bank holiday and put to a simmer. Chutney is more autumn. :-)
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 August 2019 at 11:26PM
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    So pleased.. I think we had 33 entries in the show.. 9 firsts 9 seconds 5 thirds.. Highlights. Mens cake.. First.. Sausage rolls first and heaviest potato at 1.15kg...really pleased with our attempt
    Well done to you both, 33 entries, that's some going. What happened to the cake and sausage rolls - did the judges leave any?

Last of the onions brought indoors a few days ago. They were too big to be certain they would store over the winter, so after chopping and freezing most I had a moment of inspiration - sticky onion marmalade - three hours later, and 4kgs of onions lighter I have 24 portions in the freezer plus some we had with tea tonight.

I plan to get up early and out before it gets too hot tomorrow, thinking about 6am as I have (non veg) all my winter pansies, primroses, sweet williams and wall flowers to !!!!! out and pot on before they are too big. 'These search algorithms can be a nuisance !!!!'
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    Options
    I'm planning to potter in the garden today. So happy to still be getting strawberries, and pleased that some of the cheap raspberry plants from earlier in the year are autumn fruiting. I am having fresh fruit for breakfast.

Have been tapping my squash, doesn't sound hollow yet.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It seems I have blight on my allotment tomatoes with hundreds of green fruit just on the verge of ripening. I am unsure as to whether to strip the fruit off the lot of them, most of them or what. I have never seen it before but did wonder when we had that heavy prolonged rain whether the splashing of the soil would reveal blight. I have about 25 mixed varieties and it's such a shame to lose the lot. Does anyone have any experience please?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If they have blight, the skin will be blotchy/mottled. Funnily enough I have a green tomato sat in basket in the kitchen amongst its ripe brethren. Normally it would have ripened by now but it's still pale. Maybe it's the variety, not sure where it came from, but I'm certainly used to Ailsa Craig ripening off the vine even when they're lime green

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure