Monzo tops our bank apps poll as traditional banks lag behind - MSE News

Options
Challenger banks Monzo and Starling have scooped the top spots in our latest bank apps poll, with traditional banks left playing catch-up – check how your bank did....
Read the full story:
'Monzo tops our bank apps poll as traditional banks lag behind'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    A poll on "features and usability".

Not a poll on customer service, product offerings etc.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shock, horror: banks whose continuing existence is solely dependent on the quality of their apps have better apps than the rest! ;)
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm surprised to see there's a 10% difference between Lloyds (49%) and Halifax (39%) when their apps are the same, -it's just a different colour scheme. Perhaps people who prefer green (Lloyds) are easier to please than those who prefer blue (Halifax).
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see there's a 10% difference between Lloyds (49%) and Halifax (39%) when their apps are the same, -it's just a different colour scheme. Perhaps people who prefer green (Lloyds) are easier to please than those who prefer blue (Halifax).
    Same with Bank of Scotland (43%): just a different shade of blue.

In fact, the BoS and Halifax apps can both be logged into with the same username and password!
  • SlovakianGuy
    SlovakianGuy Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Speaking about apps, can anyone explain me what in the world can cost 100 million pounds in the banking app? I've heard an interview with someone from Metro bank boasting about how creating their app costed only 8 millions (or something like that) while RBS app costed over 100 millions. I must say I was a bit shocked... like, what the hell?

Btw, what's wrong with Monzo customer service? They never asked me to call them which is a big positive to me. Whenever I had some problem, I was able to sort it out via their in-app chat or even on FB/Messenger.
    I hate when other banks just reply "Please, call our XYZ team on *** number". Last time it was Halifax, I had to call them 3x. First time I was too slow with typing my card number on my phone screen, then I pressed a wrong number by accident and was redirected somewhere else, then finally, after million safety checks and typing numbers, I managed to speak to a real person. Horrible.
    NatWest on the other hand, have an in-app chat like Monzo, and they can sort various problems without the need to call them. I tried it about a month ago and it was really nice.
  • SlovakianGuy
    Options
    Just in case someone is interested...
    Nationwide is working on their new online banking and app, which should be showing icons, transaction times, locations, addresses, possibly notes, and finally, payment references!
    I spoke directly to their Head of Digital Propositions.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never voted on this, always missed the date

but thanks for a change, it's not FD
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No_6 wrote: »
    Never voted on this, always missed the date

but thanks for a change, it's not FD
    First Direct's abject performance here is much the same as in last year's poll on banking apps - are you getting confused with their regular polls about customer service perhaps?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and finally, payment references!

Hurray! At last! Will it also show the person's name for payments between Nationwide accounts? If someone sends me money from their own Nationwide account, the app and online banking doesn't give me their name, -all I get is the sort code and account number, which makes it impossible to tell who the money's come from unless you happen to recognise the account number.

It's the same on the sender's statement/transactions, which means they aren't confident that they've actually sent the money to the right person.
  • SlovakianGuy
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Hurray! At last! Will it also show the person's name for payments between Nationwide accounts?

Not sure about this one but I guess it will. It should be a new system after all.
    For now, there is a small "hack" at least if you want to see sort codes and full account numbers from which you receive money to your Nationwide current account. If you have Halifax (I assume it works the same with Lloyds and BoS), just link your Nationwide account with Halifax app via Open banking in the Halifax app. Then you open the Halifax app and click on your Nationwide current account and you can see not only names but also account numbers from which you received payments to your Nationwide (this is how it works on Monzo). Funny thing is, you can't see this in Nationwide's own app or online banking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure