Dont even know where to begin

Options
Was supposed to be flying out today from Bristol to Budapest Via Brussels. Bristol was 10.35-12.50 Brussels (BMI) and then connection was 15:15 Brussels to 17.05 (Brussels airlines) landing in Budapest.

No notification until check in that the connecting flight from Brussels to Budapest has been cancelled because of strikes. Managed to sort alternative flights.

Departing Bristol 12.10 to Munich at 15:10 (BMI) ...departing Munich at 18:40 arriving in Budapest at 19.50 (Lufthansa). Arrived in Berlin and the Lufthansa connecting flight has now been cancelled apparently because of earlier weather (even though we landed and many other flights are taking off). They have offered to put me on another flight departing at 22:15 and arriving at 23:25. Nobody has even offered a cup of tea!

Any idea where to even begin unraveling this?

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can claim back expenses you incurred for refreshments during the delay (send Lufthansa your receipts). You may also be entitled to cash compensation depending on why your flight from Munich was cancelled. File a claim with Lufthansa and take it from there.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who was on strike regarding the Brussels to Budapest strike? Was it Brussels Airways staff, if so you are due compensation from BMI/Brussels airways for a short notice cancellation.
    Who organised the replacement flights? You or BMI/Brussels? Could mean a second bite of the cherry. ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • jpsartre
    Options
    I believe it's Brussels Airlines pilots that are striking. I thought only "wildcat" strikes had been ruled to be non-extraordinary?
  • JPears
    edited 15 May 2018 at 12:09PM
    Options
    I would have thought known strikes would definitely not be an EC.
    Possibly a wildcat strike is non EC but is there a ruling on this anywhere?
    The strikes were reported in press at least as early as 11th May, if not earlier, so not really wildcat anyway.

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    Brussels Airways had issued an advance warning last week of strikes on the 14th and 16th June, they even produced a list of flights that would be operating. If you booked through BMI Regional they should have proactively notified you and offered you the alternative, which at least they did when you went to check in. If you booked through an agent, it was their responsibility to notify you and offer an alternative option.

As to the delay in Munich, they appear to be suggesting weather issues but that will be subject to further investigation. I just hope you are not returning tomorrow, 16th, as you will be caught again
  • jpsartre
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    I would have thought known strikes would definitely not be an EC.
    Possibly a wildcat strike is non EC but is there a ruling on this anywhere?

Yes, a recent one (see link below). I can't find any rulings to suggest that "proper" airline strikes are non-extraordinary and the regulations explicitly lists industrial strikes as an example of extraordinary circumstances.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2018/04/victory-for-passengers-in-landmark-wildcat-strike-flight-delay-ruling
  • JPears
    Options
    I think most would regard an internal strike within the airline as within the control of the airline.
    Sure a strike by ATC or airport staff are not within the control of the airline.

• activist3
    activist3 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With regards the Brussels airlines flight, we were not informed of that flight cancel until we checked in and the flight was not listed as one of those that was cancelled.
  • JPears
    Options
    Did you arrange your alternative flights or did BMI/Brussels Airline?

• activist3
    activist3 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Did you arrange your alternative flights or did BMI/Brussels Airline?

Expedia did who were the agent, but they did it through brussel airline as would only use a partner airline to them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure