Advice on changing my first name legally

Options

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can crack the passport office, then everything else is easy.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    James_PD. wrote: »
    After all of my older records have been updated, will there be any reason to mention that I have changed my name to future places that I will register with for whatever reason?

For example, I do not have my car license but I want to in the future, will I need to mention that I have changed my name?

Or is it just simply the case of updating only informing places that have my previous name and just using my new name in the future without any mention of my old name?

Yes you will, if they ask.
    I've seen application forms which require you to declare any other names you have been known by in the past.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • James_PD.
    Options
    I know that there will be some places that require you to declare any previous names you have used. Nevertheless, what I mean is that for example if I apply for a different job, a mortgage, etc, do I need to mention that I have changed my name?

How often am I going to have mention that my first name used to be James?

I have read that there is no problem with getting a new passport with a changed name as long as the deed poll is certified.

Surely once everywhere has been updated with the change of name there is no reason to mention that you have changed your name unless you are asked e,g getting a new passport or a DBS check (previously known as the CRB check).
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely once everywhere has been updated with the change of name there is no reason to mention that you have changed your name unless you are asked e,g getting a new passport or a DBS check (previously known as the CRB check).

That's how I would read it
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Once you've got a passport in your new name, an employer won't care about any previous names unless they need you do a DBS check - and even then they won't care about your old name - or ask to see educational certificates which have the original name on.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • James_PD.
    Options
    I have decided to use the UK Deed Poll Service because their issued Deed Poll is accepted everywhere. I know that you can essentially create your own DIY Deed Polls but using that method can create problems because not everywhere accepts them.

I am aware of the different places that I will need to inform but is it advised to write a letter as well or just simply send the Deed Poll on its own in an envelope to the place where I need my information changed?

Does anyone know how long for example the dentist and hospital take to update records? I would feel really silly booking an appointment at the doctors or the hospital using my name and then to be told that no record is showing up on their system.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd write a letter as well: otherwise a Deed Poll arrives, and the person opening the post may not have the first clue what to do with it! Hospital, I'd include your NHS or hospital number if you have one, plus a note of which services you use even if you have those.

How long? Who knows ... but if they can't find Fred Smith, you can always say "I used to be known as Frank Smith, please could you check that?"
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • agatham
    agatham Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hi James,

You'll have to check this out - https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

Make sure that you change everywhere including your education certificates etc. You might have to put a message on Newspaper about the change in name (not sure if this is mandatory) but a good idea to display once you change your name.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I know that there will be some places that require you to declare any previous names you have used. Nevertheless, what I mean is that for example if I apply for a different job, a mortgage, etc, do I need to mention that I have changed my name?

How often am I going to have mention that my first name used to be James?

I have read that there is no problem with getting a new passport with a changed name as long as the deed poll is certified.

From what you've said, you aren't changing your name, just using another one that you already have - not unlike choosing to be called Mick if your given name is Michael. You're overcomplicating things.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    - or ask to see educational certificates which have the original name on.
    In which case, something that connects James Wossname to Phileas J Wossname and indicates they are the same person is helpful. If your birth certificate shows you as being registered James Phileas Wossname - that's probably enough.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure