Positive feedback then buyer asks for refund

Options
I've had a buyer left me positive feedback for an item then an week later has sent a message saying it was not as described and can I refund them and that they will return the item if I provide a pre-paid label. Do I just ask them to open a case with ebay and accept the return then refund?

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First find out why they thinks it not as described then if need so yes get them to do so via Ebay
  • Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    They've explained in their message - I dont believe what they have said but realise that it's pointless arguing as ebay will side with them anyway. Its just odd that they had already left positive feedback.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately it makes no difference about feedback. I'd get the item back and resell it if you can. Make sure they open a case though. They may not bother. Make sure you block them regardless.
  • Snowbelle
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it makes no difference about feedback. I'd get the item back and resell it if you can. Make sure they open a case though. They may not bother. Make sure you block them regardless.

Thanks for this. I've now asked them to open a case, however, they insist on keep emailing me asking what I intend to do with the item when I get it back and can I send them a pre-paid label.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Snowbelle wrote: »
    they insist on keep emailing me asking what I intend to do with the item when I get it back and can I send them a pre-paid label.
    It might not be long before you get another e-mail stating that it's probably not worth posting it back and they will be willing to keep the item if you give them a partial refund.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've now asked them to open a case, however, they insist on keep emailing me asking what I intend to do with the item when I get it back and can I send them a pre-paid label.

If they open a case for SNAD they don't need to do anything else. If you don't give them a prepaid label eBay will (and charge you, along with a defect for unresolved case). Send them a label so you have control.
  • Snowbelle
    Options
    If they open a case for SNAD they don't need to do anything else. If you don't give them a prepaid label eBay will (and charge you, along with a defect for unresolved case). Send them a label so you have control.

How do I send them a label?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    How do I send them a label?

Buy the label and upload it. I have accounts with RM and Hermes, but if you don't, you can join someone like Parcel2go, Hermes or another reseller and buy a label addressed to you. Then upload it to the case. You have contracted the carrier, so you retain control.

Or you can use the Ebay label, but they will charge you and if the item is lost/damaged you may have a challenge on your hands in sorting out compensation.
  • Snowbelle
    Options
    Buy the label and upload it. I have accounts with RM and Hermes, but if you don't, you can join someone like Parcel2go, Hermes or another reseller and buy a label addressed to you. Then upload it to the case. You have contracted the carrier, so you retain control.

Or you can use the Ebay label, but they will charge you and if the item is lost/damaged you may have a challenge on your hands in sorting out compensation.

OK thanks - do I need to wait until they have opened a case before sending the label?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Yes. Ask them to open a return. When they do, buy the label and upload it. They will then have to print it out and return the item, you then refund when you've got the item back.

If they don't use the label, most carriers will refund you (Parcel2go and Hermes will if they see it hasn't been used, I'm sure there are others).

If you need more detailed help, just say. There's nothing worse than being given advice and you can't make head nor tail of it :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure