Universal Credit payment help

Options
Evening,

Just need some advice, on Monday (April 2) I reported my rent changes when housing association rents changed, but when I reported it on my Full Universal Credit account, I put I pay my rent monthly instead of weekly as I wasn't paying much attention. On Thursday (5 April) I got my statement for my payment and I made a shock discovery as I found out they only paid me £70.12 as this is what it states (You said that your rent is £75.79 per month, and you pay £3.48 in service charges each month) - See I made a mistake by putting month, so I made a new report changes on the 5th and I put weekly on the new one, I also made a few notes on my journal and this is what an adverser replied to me.

Hi Shaun

I have just sent the form off to re verify the changes to your housing costs. Once this is done your housing entitlement will amended.

Regards
Rebecca

All I am asking is, how long does it take to be amended as I am due to be paid on the 11th and I also need to pay my rent as well.

Any advice would be great, thanks :)

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Evening,

Just need some advice, on Monday (April 2) I reported my rent changes when housing association rents changed, but when I reported it on my Full Universal Credit account, I put I pay my rent monthly instead of weekly as I wasn't paying much attention. On Thursday (5 April) I got my statement for my payment and I made a shock discovery as I found out they only paid me £70.12 as this is what it states (You said that your rent is £75.79 per month, and you pay £3.48 in service charges each month) - See I made a mistake by putting month, so I made a new report changes on the 5th and I put weekly on the new one, I also made a few notes on my journal and this is what an adverser replied to me.

Hi Shaun

I have just sent the form off to re verify the changes to your housing costs. Once this is done your housing entitlement will amended.

Regards
    Rebecca

All I am asking is, how long does it take to be amended as I am due to be paid on the 11th and I also need to pay my rent as well.

Any advice would be great, thanks :)
    It depends when you reported the error. As the 11th is just a few days away, if you didn't report this until a few days ago you may have to wait until next month. You can always ring them and ask as we would only be guessing to the length of time here.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I can't answer your actual question, but I think you should contact your HA and ask if you can pay a bit less this month. Pay the absolute most you can manage, but if you're not going to be able to pay the whole amount it's better to speak to them beforehand.

If you can do it in person and show the response from UC to say that it's being dealt with then hopefully they'll be lenient.

Also - check your tenancy agreement. It could be that although you pay it monthly, your agreement shows you need to pay it weekly or fortnightly. If that's the case then you might not end up in arrears at all. Again though, speak to them so they know what's happening.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    It depends when you reported the error. As the 11th is just a few days away, if you didn't report this until a few days ago you may have to wait until next month. You can always ring them and ask as we would only be guessing to the length of time here.

I reported the error on the same day as I got my statement on the 5th.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    I reported the error on the same day as I got my statement on the 5th.
    I would do as Alice suggested because it just may not be sorted out in time for this months payment.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Give UC a call and explain the error. This can be sorted out quite quickly, with any underpayment of rent paid as a faster payment.

With the rent rises, if the increase is less than about £4.50 a week, then the rent can be automatically verified without need to contact the landlord for information. If you entered it monthly rather than weekly, then UC will have automatically paid the reduced amount, as it was auto accepted. Hence why you need to phone UC, explain the error and someone will get it corrected.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    Give UC a call and explain the error. This can be sorted out quite quickly, with any underpayment of rent paid as a faster payment.

With the rent rises, if the increase is less than about £4.50 a week, then the rent can be automatically verified without need to contact the landlord for information. If you entered it monthly rather than weekly, then UC will have automatically paid the reduced amount, as it was auto accepted. Hence why you need to phone UC, explain the error and someone will get it corrected.

Thank you, I will ring first thing at 8am when it opens tomorrow morning!
  • jobseeking_help
    Options
    With any UC FS payment query I would liaise directly with my Case Manager at the Service Centre via the journal in my UC a/c, I wouldn't phone the service centre as you get to speak a telephony agent and I wouldn't guarantee they know what they're talking about.
  • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Options
    Update: My landlord (Calico) has phoned me today to say that they sent the SRS verification back to Universal Credit yesterday (April 9) at 10am but I have left notes on my Journal but no one is contacting me regarding this and my rent is due tomorrow and £70.10 is not enough, any idea how long is it going to take for Universal Credit to pay me the rest of my housing entitlement, or do I need to wait until next month now? I am so worried!
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Update: My landlord (Calico) has phoned me today to say that they sent the SRS verification back to Universal Credit yesterday (April 9) at 10am but I have left notes on my Journal but no one is contacting me regarding this and my rent is due tomorrow and £70.10 is not enough, any idea how long is it going to take for Universal Credit to pay me the rest of my housing entitlement, or do I need to wait until next month now? I am so worried!
    Did you ring UC as advised?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options

Did you explain to your landlord that you wouldn't be able to pay all the rent this month?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure