Landline telephone

Options
Howdy !

When I moved , I bought a cheap telephone from Argos . Around £5
Fair enough I thought as I use mobile most of the time . However , there are times when I think it's useful to have a landline rather than using mobile , such as press 1 for this. 2 for that . You get the picture.
So, the telephone I have , is cheap ( obviously ) ..and nasty.
I find that I have lots of excessive noise like being underwater and when I do talk the person at the other end sounds miles away .
If I bang it , sometimes the problems are solved albeit temporarily .

Could someone please recommend a better quality phone , perhaps with hands free that isn't expensive ?

Thanks

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Erm you you have it on the end of a microfilter? if not then you internet will be suffering too, of course if you have a good phone socket with a built in filter then ignore me
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Erm you you have it on the end of a microfilter? if not then you internet will be suffering too, of course if you have a good phone socket with a built in filter then ignore me

Thanks for swift reply .
    It actually goes straight into the wall socket .
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2019 at 7:54PM
    Options
    I agree with debit's inferance, make sure you do not have a fault first!

Having said, bt 4600 comes out as a Which? Best buy at under £35 for a cordless.

Corded telephones tend to be a bit old hat but can be better quality. Bt decor 2600 at under £30 gets good reviews.

Bear in mind all phones that do not function on batteries or do not have battery backup to work fail if there is a power outage and even emergency calls cannot be made. Cordless often only have batteries in the handset and the base unit mains powered and then.....ooops, no comms!
    I cover that eventuality with an old non powered analogue phone!
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for swift reply .

Yes but if you have internet on the same line you need a microfilter otherwise, well, this happens.

Do you have internet on your home phone line or not?
    If you respond as "using wireless" from your mobile that would imply that you do, unless you are connecting to the mobile phone network but you need to specify how your phone is getting online.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Thanks for swift reply .
    Does your router go into the same socket? or is the phone on an extension in another room
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks folks for your useful advice as always . Sounds like I've probably done a basic mistake like not using the microfilter.
    Having said that , the phone goes into the master socket in the living room open reach 5c . The telephone is in one socket and the broadband in the other . Hope that makes sense ..
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not difficult to press 1,2, etc on a mobile phone........Sounds like you have an Openreach 5c master socket with a Mk4 faceplate. If this is correct then you shouldn't need a separate filter AFAIK.
    Hopefully someone can confirm or correct that...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks folks for your useful advice as always . Sounds like I've probably done a basic mistake like not using the microfilter.
    Having said that , the phone goes into the master socket in the living room open reach 5c . The telephone is in one socket and the broadband in the other . Hope that makes sense ..
    a picture (or possibly in your case pictures) paints a thousand words.

the router has a different wall connection, rather than a bt one.

The actual router does not need a filter, but to stop noise going to the phone they must add a filter
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unplug your router and try the phone. That way you cam eliminate the router/filter problems.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    mksysb wrote: »
    Unplug your router and try the phone. That way you cam eliminate the router/filter problems.

Thanks for that . Will do later .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport