2»

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2019 at 3:05PM
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    No - people (yourself included) used the terms "cash transactions", not "cash withdrawal".

They are 2 different things.

I stated whether it will work depend on if the underlying card processes a cash withdrawal via Curve as a cash transaction or purchase.

Which is completely relevant to the discussion as Curve processes all transactions through to the underlying card as an online/card not present transaction (no cash marker) so it's all dependant how the underlying card classifies the transaction.

Most providers (RBS/Tesco are the only ones I know who don't) process cash withdrawals via Curve as purchases therefore bypassing any underlying limits.

The MCC Curve use for cash withdrawals is 6540 (POI Funding Transactions) which is not 6011 (actual cash withdrawals). This is presumably because 6011 cannot be used for an online/card not present transaction and can only be used in a card present environment.

Therefore if you have a £1,000 cash withdrawal limit via Curve and only £200 on the underlying card. Most cards will let you take out £1,000 via Curve because they see it as a purchase as it's not MCC 6011.

So long as you're using an underlying Debit Card, you're not falling foul of any T&C.
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I can confirm that stevenhp1987 is correct.

My bank allows me I think £300 or £400 daily ATM withdrawal if I use the debit card directly. However I have used my Curve card (linked to that same debit card) and withdrawn £800 over a day (obviously more than one transaction as ATMs have limits themselves)
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What I'm reading here suggests that Curve's protestations that they are passing the appropriate data to identify a transaction as 'cash' are not completely accurate. They are passing transaction data that suggests it may be a cash transaction but most issuers will rely on the Cash Transaction Code (TC) being present to make this determination. That TC is not there - presumably (as suggested) it can't be used with MCC 6540 or with any other card-not-present (CNP) indicator.
  • il638
    il638 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    cheers guys, in that case maybe will give it a shot. but i took the chaps advice earlier upgraded to advance today and got 500 withdrawal limit :D

£600 is most i'll ever really need out of a machine
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can always go into a branch to withdraw more cash from over the counter
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Certainly works for me, my co-op bank debit card sees a curve cash withdrawal as a purchase, so I can withdraw my usual cash limit directly with the debit card and more if I need to with curve.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    il638 wrote: »
    cheers guys, in that case maybe will give it a shot. but i took the chaps advice earlier upgraded to advance today and got 500 withdrawal limit :D

£600 is most i'll ever really need out of a machine

Chap's a laydee:p

Good news re the Advance account.

Don't forget the 5% regular saver you now qualify for;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure