PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

offering on 2 properties at once?

Options
There are two houses in close proximity that i like. Both houses are likely to be very popular. I prefer house A which is slightly more money and ive put an offer in. I could live with house B though. The owner of house A still has to find a property whereas the owner of house B has already found and had an offer accepted on her next property.

Should I also offer on house B? I really do prefer house A but as she hasnt got a property yet it could be ages in which case i lose house B most likely as it will sell fast.

I made my offer on house A yesterday but have heard nothing yet.

Comments

• walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing stops you offering on both. I would tell the EA out of courtesy what you’re doing (they’ll find out anyway even assuming they’re not with the same EA) and I would explain your reasoning to them to indicate you’re not a time waster who offers on lots of things for the fun of it - they do exist, we had one bid on our house years ago, then disappear - turned out they just liked viewing houses and bidding, then doing nothing about it.

Be aware that some people view selling their house as a labour of love not a business transaction, and may take offence at this (how dare you think of another house, it shows you don’t love mine like I do) and refuse to deal with you. If you’re prepared for that possibility, crack on.
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    If I were the vendor and I found out you were offering on multiple properties, I'd immediately decline your offer. No matter what the excuse, there's too much risk of you being a timewaster.

What if both vendors do this? You'll end up with no house to buy.

Your call.

ETA: given what you've said about house B selling quickly, they're the vendor most likely to tell you to jog on.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they're not on with the same agent, offer on both, it's unlikely the vendors will find out.

We had an offer turned down on a property A which then came back on the market a few weeks later, the EA approached us and asked if we were still willing to buy and we said yes. The same day a better property came up four doors down, which I only discovered after I got home and searched the net (I'd been out when the EA called). Without withdrawing on property A, we viewed and offered on property B which was up with a different agent. When property B was accepted, we withdrew on A (we're talking under a week involved here). We had to do what was right for us, as the owner of property A thought they had done when they accepted somebody else's offer before ours.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OP, if you really prefer A and your bid on B is accepted then it does give you the leverage to go back to A and say that unless they are prepared to go into rented you'll have to withdraw as you have an alternative. There are quite a few posters here who have hung onto a "purchase" for a year or so and seen other alternatives go by.
    If they won't then you'll really have to withdraw from A since you'll be spending money on B right away and it's unlikely A will find something in a short time and get cracking
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I personally don't like timewasters. If you don't want to buy that property, don't put in an offer.
  • xGogsx
    xGogsx Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I'd offer on both. Gotta look out for #1!
  • Slinky
    Options
    ethank wrote: »
    I personally don't like timewasters. If you don't want to buy that property, don't put in an offer.

We'd have bought either of the properties we offered on at the same time, but obviously we had a preference. How could we tell whether offers were going to be accepted or not? If we hadn't offered on both, we could have ended up with neither. We know the person who bought the property we didn't buy also offered on the one we bought.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How long would you say is reasonable to consider an offer before responding as a seller? I made an offer yesterday morning and sent the seller a message (they are using Yopa so its all done online) but have had no acknowledgment or response.

The property was advertised as OIEO but i offered smack on the nose of the advertised price. I cant really go higher.
  • Slinky
    Options
    How long would you say is reasonable to consider an offer before responding as a seller? I made an offer yesterday morning and sent the seller a message (they are using Yopa so its all done online) but have had no acknowledgment or response.

The property was advertised as OIEO but i offered smack on the nose of the advertised price. I cant really go higher.

It's impossible to say. If the property is fresh to the market, it could take a few days if there is, as you suspect, a lot of interest. We offered well over the asking price on the place we bought to secure it, and it still took the vendor 5 days to accept it.
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

• danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I really hate OIEO. This house is right at the ceiling for the area as it is, let alone expecting more. OIEO would be fine if they drop the price to allow room for higher bids but they havent. There is a risk a mortgage conpany might downvalue it if the price is much higher than it already is.

Meant to be a buyers market at the moment - thats a joke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure