Paid and booked for specific seats didn't get them

Options
Hi

I booked and paid for 2 extra space seats (wife and I) for a 4 hour return flight. When i checked in i was told that those seats were booked to someone else and i had extra leg room seats.

When the plane took off i complained to the flight crew and explained i had booked those specific seats for a reason and my seats now meant i had to disturb other passengers if i wanted to access the isle and i was sitting next to someone. The flight crew did their best but I didn't get the seats i had booked and paid for.

The same on my return flight. Except i spoke to someone prior to checking in and basically they were sympathetic but nothing they could do. Again flight crew were great but I couldn't really move 2 people who had also booked those seats.

I will be seeking compensation from the airline any help appreciated.

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask the airline for a refund of what you paid for your seats. Whether you're entitled to one depends on the T&C of your booking. They might argue that you paid for extra legroom seats and that's what you got.
  • Medano
    Options
    Thanks but i paid for extra space seats. They are different.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wife and me (not I)

What airline? Surely they'll have a FAQ about this.

• jpsartre
    Options
    Medano wrote: »
    Thanks but i paid for extra space seats. They are different.

Either way, you need to look at the T&C of your booking and/or contact the airline you flew with.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Is this Virgin having problems keeping their 787 fleet in the air?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    You booked and paid for a specific type of seats, not specific seats. Seat numbers are always subject to change. Refer to the airlines T&Cs re seating.

Is this TUI by any chance? If so most of their extra space seats involve asking someone to move (unless you book aisle seats). The only ones that don't are the front row exit seats which obviously come with seating restrictions. On the 757 the mid cabin exits seats don't either.

Presuming this is TUI then you wouldn't know when you booked the extra space whether you'd be able to get seats with direct access ie not having to ask someone to move, until after you'd booked.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Is this Virgin having problems keeping their 787 fleet in the air?

Virgin do not have any 4 hour flights.

TUI use the terminology the OP refers to.
  • Medano
    Options
    I booked specific seats on a plan of the actual aircraft. That was the same aircraft that we flew on. The seats i booked on the plan were taken by other passengers. I had a invoice for those seats. These seats are different than extra legroom seats. I might of chosen a different airline if i couldn't get the seats i had booked

Thanks for the lesson in grammar Dave .Most helpful .The airline FAQ wont be helpful in assisting with potential litigation/claim.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    I booked specific seats on a plan of the actual aircraft. That was the same aircraft that we flew on. The seats i booked on the plan were taken by other passengers. I had a invoice for those seats. These seats are different than extra legroom seats. I might of chosen a different airline if i couldn't get the seats i had booked

Thanks for the lesson in grammar Dave .Most helpful .The airline FAQ wont be helpful in assisting with potential litigation/claim.

But those seats are always subject to change. Airlines never guarantee specific seats, nor do they form part of the contract.

You've not said which airline it was? I'm still guessing TUI?
  • jpsartre
    Options
    I booked specific seats on a plan of the actual aircraft.

But whether that's what you *paid for* is a different question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure