PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I have eaten very weirdly today and I'm having a glass of cider now too. :o

Dinner will be marinated, oven roasted tofu, penne and whatever veggies I have lying around.:)

I keep trying with Tofu but struggle to make it taste anything other than, well, bad..... is there a technique behind cooking it?
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I keep trying with Tofu but struggle to make it taste anything other than, well, bad..... is there a technique behind cooking it?

The trick is to freeze it first, thaw it and then try and get as much water out of it as possible with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel.

I'm not exactly a chef so I usually just throw it in the wok with some sesame oil or make it into a tofu scramble with veggies or throw it in a marinade and then roast in the oven. It does pick up whatever flavour you use like a sponge.

It is an acquired taste, though. :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 December 2017 at 5:41PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I noted stewing beef chunks are on offer from Thursday

Earlier I was thinking about a stew ... not for the stew, it's the dumplings I make/love... but then I thought "veg stew's not very exciting".... so I'll definitely be getting some of that beef then and doing beef stew & dumps.... several times.

:)

NOM.

Love dumplings, but it's often that "it could really do with a stew...." moment and without the ingredients you can't knock one up. I do sometimes just eat dumplings though, to be honest.... I'm more likely to eat just dumplings than a stew/dumps if somebody stood and counted. Just gravy and dumplings .... in fact.... that will be tea tonight I think. Just dumplings/gravy.

EDIT: Done that. 2 dumplings, chicken gravy (used up the final tablespoon in the annoying 'almost empty' canister) and some random peas just because I thought I should cook something else with the dumps :)

Eating them now :)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    The trick is to freeze it first, thaw it and then try and get as much water out of it as possible with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel.

I'm not exactly a chef so I usually just throw it in the wok with some sesame oil or make it into a tofu scramble with veggies or throw it in a marinade and then roast in the oven. It does pick up whatever flavour you use like a sponge.

It is an acquired taste, though. :D

It is, but I know it's possible to make it taste nice. I once tried to make a tofu curry and it turned out just awful. Then a few months later, I visited a local all-you-can-eat place, that was serving up curry. I accidentally picked up the vegetarian option, tofu, and it was delicious. So I know it's possible, I just can't seem to get it.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    'Afternoon folks
    The remark by money on apple methods prompted me to nuke / stew one of my nicked apples last night, eaten with Greek yoghurt & honey. Very easy and same again tonight I think

that's my dessert for tonight sorted :D

B was usual overnight oats
    L parsnippy soup (see below)
    D tuna and broccoli in a tomato sauce with green pea fusilli

parsnippy soup - I decided to do a soup overnight in the SC, opened the tin of coconut milk, then found I only had one parsnip, a big fat one, but not enough, so I added the stalk from some broccoli and a tin of butterbeans, some curry powder and left it, whizzed it up this morning and it tasted pretty much like my usual curried parsnip soup :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    oh dear caronc, they will be back in no time but I bet the time is going so slow right now.
    Thanks kittie, I spoke to my son just as he was leaving Dover, now heading to Calais rather than Dunkirk! I'm sure he'll be fine driving on the "wrong side" juat wish he wasn't doing it in the dark. I shall be mightily relieved when I hear he has got there. :)

Welcome Stoke :hello:

Good evening everyone,
    I carried on with my cleaning mission today, I wish I could say wrestling with Henry was getting easier but it ain't. Managed to clean the porch, sort/clean the bathroom cupboard and wipe down the wood work in hall. I paced myself but I think tomorrow I'll need to have a less bendy day as I can feel the pressure in my ear building:(. Still good to get these jobs down and thanfully most just need a wipe rather than a scrub unlike yesterday's effort:).
    I see if the fish pie has defrosted and if not I think rather than pasta dinner will either be curry from the feeezer or something I can bung in the oven. I do hope the pie is defrosted though as the temperature has dropped a fair bit again and it has got quite windy so just the night for something topped with browned mash :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A bus ticket to get to, say, 4sda would cost me about £3.70 return.
    A taxi would be closer to £15-20 (it's £8 from 1 mile up the road!).
    Driving at £2 is the cheapest option on a day to day basis, after the initial outlay of course of buying one, taxing it, insurance, services, etc. There's also no waiting or carrying/lugging heavy goods if you're using your own car as you push the trolley to the car and offload without any pressure.... ditto at home. I'll often leave groceries in the car if they don't need to be in the house immediately ... right now I still have a 4-pack of beans in the car I'll get round to bringing in when it suits me.

I've just had an e mail, unsolicited, free delivery for new customers :T
    There is a small print catch, minimum order applies:mad:

Without checking I just know the minimum will be more than I spend there in a month, like the 10p a litre off fuel at Morries, if I spend over 40 squid in the shop. Fat chance, ever

I guess I could stir up a twitter storm, except CBA, and I don't use twitter anyway
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had an e mail, unsolicited, free delivery for new customers :T
    There is a small print catch, minimum order applies:mad:

Without checking I just know the minimum will be more than I spend there in a month, like the 10p a litre off fuel at Morries, if I spend over 40 squid in the shop. Fat chance, ever

I guess I could stir up a twitter storm, except CBA, and I don't use twitter anyway
    Yes it will be a £40 minimum, though Asda do include quite a bit of household items that you can get delivered wih your groceries so if you are looking for any bits like that could be worth looking otherwise it's "delete" ;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 December 2017 at 8:14PM
    Options
    I'm starving. No idea how/why as I've eaten well today!

I've had 2 bits of toast, 1/3rd can of beans, 2 eggs, 2 dumplings, 1/3rd of a can of peas.

I'll have two more bits of toast, that bread's almost gone....

EDIT: had that .... and beans and cheese :)
    Because I can.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

PS Andy I could do a "walk there and back" once I'd treated myself to some kind of 'cooling bag' to keep frozen goodies sensible I guess. I have no 'style concerns' with being seen with some kind of trolley either
    I have a trolley, and use a cooling back from Lild, guess most shops, especially Iceland, would have something similar. What I like is that it is flexible, so can easily be rolled, squashed to fit in when empty, and only used when frozen, or chilled products are bought
    :) That's a good thought thank you. I'd not really given much consideration to 'storage' of it as such.
    I'm starving. No idea how/why as I've eaten well today!

I've had 2 bits of toast, 1/3rd can of beans, 2 eggs, 2 dumplings, 1/3rd of a can of peas.

I'll have two more bits of toast, that bread's almost gone....
    hmm you're making me hungry now too, as I purposely did not buy bread today (or much else!) as I have some things being delivered on Thursday and figured I'd easily do a 'day without' . Perhaps some crackers will suffice for the moment :D Mind you there is still an abundance of tinned things to eat anyway.

I was thinking earlier about 'mash on toast' for some reason while looking at 'other bean types for adding' I've added it to my "things to look at" listing.

That might be OK if I do my 'mixi-veg mash' and cut two pieces into quarters, so I have four 'mini sandwiches' to grab with a fork etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure