PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Suffolk lass. Some great tips/reminders in your last post. :T
    I thi k I will do large batches of crumble mixes and freeze in portions. Good reminder about freezing fruits etc then popping together for quick puds.

Does anyone know a good (cheap) supplier for swing top bottles?
    I know Ikea do a cracking one for £2.50 for 1ltr bottles but I want maybe a dozen and it is a loooooooong drive to get there and back. Will doe d a fortune in petrol costs.

I really want to get into wine making. We dont drink a lot but do entertain and I would be thrilled to offer up my own produce to my guests.

Ps, Am I alone on here re: foraging or are there any others out there who can offer their sage advice????

I'm not sure whether there is a thread primarily for the subject and worry that I may be taking over the GC thread with my ramblings :o
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

Budgets noted to here and I'll update the front page later

Just come back from MrT and bought Basmati Rice - £6.99 for 4Kg and BOGOF so 8kg for £6.99 :]] Unfortunately thats not all I bought lol

Off to update my spending diary now - gulp

Helen x

PS - hope none of you are badly affected by the floods
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have never seen reduced items in Aldi.

I hadn't either until I went at 9.30 this morning and got 2 packs of mince and 2 packs of burgers, all 50% off! Happy days as I'm one of those people who never finds a good yellow sticker offer!

Will update sig later, dog keeps looking at me imploringly.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • In_it_not_to_giveitaway
    Options
    Would echo JJ's and others comment re: tips from Suffolk Lass on freezing. Went to MrM last night and got 3 chickens for £10. Also 2kg of turkey mince.

Chickens already jointed and in bags in the freezer. The turkey mince will be made into a chilli as per British Turkey recipe with one or two oriental adjustments (lime juice-soaked lemon grass, galangal and kafir lime leaves instead of bay leaves etc). Key question is storage - several different suggestions, but I do have an almost empty ice cream box and have bought a few Lock and Lock boxes. So will try both to see which work best in a stand up freezer.

Going to buy a rosemary nursery plant tomorrow and transfer it to a pot in the yard in the sun. I suppose it is one of the more robust herbs to grow and the one I use most :).

A pound saved is a pound plus tax and NIC earned.

All the best,

179/200
    quick question about coconut milk - I cut a block in half to use in a recipe. How long do you think the other half will last for in the fridge? I've stored it in an airtight container but it's been there at least 6 weeks. It's not the type of food you can taste and see!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    quick question about coconut milk - I cut a block in half to use in a recipe. How long do you think the other half will last for in the fridge? I've stored it in an airtight container but it's been there at least 6 weeks. It's not the type of food you can taste and see!

Do you mean coconut butter?
    If so, it will be fine. Sometimes we can go 4-5 months in between a HM Korma and our half used blocks are always fine. It's pretty much pure fat so will last many, many months in the fridge. :T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

happy chick My recollection is that eventually my lurker went mouldy and I chucked it but up until then I was prepared to use it. I should temper this advice as I am a girl who has picked the green bits off bread before toasting it for DS and he's fine but I'm probably not... :eek: I think you mean the tins that are solid and liquid and you mix them to use in curries so if I am on about the wrong product, ignore me!

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi can I join in please? Just to keep an eye on the spends really.

I would like to set £25 per week please on all supermarket/food spends including toiletries and cleaning products for 2 adults and 2 young children.

JumbleJack that cordial looks gorgeous! I think I will give that a try as we have elderflowers nearby and roses in the garden. Had only planned to use the roses for jelly. I think with some fizzy water that will be a nice drink for preggy-me when OH treats himself to his occasional cider.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • keza
    keza Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi there can i join in plz. im on maternity leave and we need to cut bk so i dont have to go bk to work in september. plz put me down for £250 this includes cleaning bits, baby milk, nappies and our food. thanks :)
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 June 2012 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Need a rant please, I before I spit hard enough to
    give my dentures a flying lesson.

I have just received IMO the most appauling customer service I have ever experienced.

I did on shopping on Wednesday, couldnt do it yesterday due to Mums funeral. I bought a chicken for today, as have my DGS and its his favourite meal. Use by date 2nd July. Put the oven on and took chicken out of fridge, just cut into the packaging and the smell almost knocked me over.

As I had promised DGS his chicken I took it back to Asda. CS service agreed it was off and returned my money, no apology offerred. I asked about my busfare, it was 1.20 there and 1.20 back.

I was firstly told I hadnt made a special journey as I had come to do my shopping. I did as I had no shopping to get.

I was then asked quite rudely, dont you have a bus pass, explained I do but its out of date and i have to wait for a new one.

Very grudgingly I was given two Smiley vouchers with the comment well I will give them you but its not what they are for.

Trundled off to get another chicken and presented my Smileys at the till
    they are worth 25p each, so I am out 1.90, been humiliated for asking.
    Edit no actually I am not I am out 2.40 because I asked for the vouchers back
    intending to send them to head office.

I couldnt go back to CS due to having to get back for DGS, and to be honest didnt feel in control enough to be sure I could keep my calm and dignity.
    I do know I am emotionally up in the air at the moment, but I dont think I am being unreasonable i wanting my busfare. I trust you lovely people
    to tell me if you think I am.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family