Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 15

New Post Advanced Search

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 1:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.3K views

Replies

• happy chick My recollection is that eventually my lurker went mouldy and I chucked it but up until then I was prepared to use it. I should temper this advice as I am a girl who has picked the green bits off bread before toasting it for DS and he's fine but I'm probably not... :eek: I think you mean the tins that are solid and liquid and you mix them to use in curries so if I am on about the wrong product, ignore me!

SL

It's the stuff that comes in a hard block and you mix with water.
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Do you mean coconut butter?
    If so, it will be fine. Sometimes we can go 4-5 months in between a HM Korma and our half used blocks are always fine. It's pretty much pure fat so will last many, many months in the fridge. :T

Thanks JJ. I wasn't sure so nipped to the co-op for a can of coconut milk but the result wasn't the same. Wish I'd risked it now!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the stuff that comes in a hard block and you mix with water.

Thanks JJ. I wasn't sure so nipped to the co-op for a can of coconut milk but the result wasn't the same. Wish I'd risked it now!

Aww. Never mind, you'll know next time.
    I hope you enjoyed your curry :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    boodle welcome, £25 a week? thats incredible i wouldnt have a hope of doing that

meg thats disgusting behaviour from CS i had a similar problem with my local Tesco , their CS were appalling , i have voted with my feet and dont go there anymore , ( i have a car though and many SMs to choose from )

my budget is £100 a week , thats for all food, toiletries, eating out , cleaning stuff, pet food/ bedding and holiday supplies for 4 adults 2 guinea pigs and an extremely fussy cat

been to l!dl and @sda today spent £23.60 and £72 respectively , some of this was for bun making ( cupcakes, cornflake buns, twink hobnobs ) for around 50 people and this will be refunded :T so hopefully will be able to get more fruit midweek
  • edited 29 June 2012 at 9:09PM
    miffy257miffy257 Forumite
    890 posts
    edited 29 June 2012 at 9:09PM
    Hi there, please put me down for £500 again. We seem to have DD's BF here most weekends so spends are up a bit.
    Think I managed to come in under in June but really need to try and get it down more . Thanks for starting and maintaining the thread Zippychick, Helen and Rosieben.
    £180.00 in 'sistercas'fund
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
  • Had a HUGE day of batch cooking today - 15 portions in the freezer and no room left! Made chilli, ratatouille and sweet potato soup. Have about 3 weeks until I go away for the summer so that should just about do it!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've reckoned up for June and it was £370.60/£400 - on the face of it not too bad, until I look at where I should be for the year and I must come in at £383 or less to recover my spend for the year. I am determined to come in £500 less than last year's total, for the year as a whole.

I have to buy a gargantuan amount of cat litter tomorrow. Happily, they pee outside. I'm prepared to put up with the poop as it means it's not in the veg patch :rotfl: Sorry!! :eek:

Have a great weekend everyone - and remember; the meal plan, stick to the list and remember to read and post (thank as you go so you can find your place)

All the best
    SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • Had a HUGE day of batch cooking today - 15 portions in the freezer and no room left! Made chilli, ratatouille and sweet potato soup. Have about 3 weeks until I go away for the summer so that should just about do it!

That's really great. Wouldn't mind the sweet potato soup recipe (not very good at soups and not a little nervous about batch cooking).

Soaking chick peas overnight tonight for some homemade hummus tomorrow with sliced raw carrots. Would be nice to be able to make pita bread.

Have a good weekend all,

179/200
    ✭✭✭
    Meg - lots of hugs winging their way to you. Look after yourself.
    It must have been awful dealing with those people at 'cs'.
    I think you should write to the manager and cc the letter to their HO. Take care.

JJ- I LOVE reading your foraging exploits :) You are so clever :T

In_it... - To make soup: Chopped onion, veg stock -either powder or a cube - Knorr has the nicest colour - Veg Oxo goes brown, and whatever veg you like. Chop, put in a decent size pan, cover with water, cook until tender, then blitz - either with a hand blender or in a jug type blender. Be careful you don't splash yourself - it's HOT! You can add red lentils for a bit protein, or some barley or broth mix - follow the instructions on the pack if it says to soak overnight. You can cook a piece of bacon/gammon with the veg, and put some of the chopped meat back in the soup after you've blitzed it. Just experiment with the extras - the base stays the same.

Well, yesterday was literally a washout! We had a swimming pool where the patio should have been, and at one time, we had 3 waterfalls in our garden! The garage flooded by about 1 1/2 inches right through, as it's on a higher level than the house and patio, and the water got over the air bricks and the damp course of the house but thankfully didn't reach the doors. It was amazing how quickly the water came down - like something in America! We also had a 4 hour power cut from 3.40 to 7.45ish - just in time for Wimbledon at 8pm ;)
    DH has spent all day in the garage while I was at work. Not much damage as most things are in boxes off the ground - mostly junk anyway. I'm glad I put my freezer on a pallett when we first put it in the garage though.
    So... 2 NSDs, only 2 more to go....
    If I can make it to Sunday, I'll come in at £6.10 under budget for June :) (copied/pasted from June GC)
    #59 Saving for Christmas 2020
  • Can i join back in for £300 THIS MONTH please, ive put off shopping for a few days as so cant be bothered noones starving yet either lol x
    LOST 7ST 1/2LB July-groc chal £209/£300
    POALYDBX2012:santa2: #342 £2192.00/£2842 1 debt vs 100 days 9...£10/£123 8/11 NSD in July..
  • Make-it-3Make-it-3 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Hi, room for another newbie? I try and fool myself I am good at running a food budget, and my weekly shop is usually quite organised but it all goes to pot after that.

We are myself, OH, DD aged 1 and cat. I’m going to put us down for £200 for July, but it’s more to set a benchmark than a goal (that’s for food, household, toiletries and cat grub). Eating out counts as "entertainment" and that's too big to tackle right now.

I do menu plan, but I would find batch cooking a chore and I rarely have more than a packet of frozen peas in my freezer. My main downfall is that although I live two minutes walk from a decent size supermarket, we don’t have a car so I only come back with what I can carry and it means succumbing to the temptation of the top-up shops (usually at least a couple weekly).

Also can I ask how you people account for your OH’s spends? Mine will pop to the local ethnic food stores every couple of weeks to buy lots of snacks for himself. He’s also a bad boy in buying lunches out even after I’ve bought stuff for his lunchbox.

Anyway, I’ll be starting on Sunday, as I think we’re all set for tomorrow as we have friends over for a BBQ and that overspend counts as June, so bring on a clean slate.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.