PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    That reminds me, I was told number 2 baby was due around lunchtime and if I wanted to attend come along then. I asked when lunchtime was, which seemed a valid question me but not to others

Hello Farway,

A new baby! Exciting - if you aren't able to reply we know you are setting out, good luck and early congratulations...

I sense baby-sitting duties in your near future :j
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just had lunch, a rather burnt spicy chicken and cheese toastie, due to sister messaging that an order I did for is wrong , and I had to ring and cancel and do a reorder.:(
    Farway every time you mentioned black forest ham , I get a vision of a piece of ham with black forest gateau sat on it!!:rotfl:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OK, so I was pacing about ... time came and went. I tried to phone, it went to answerphone; I left it... I tried from another phone and it went to answerphone (just in case he had my number plugged in and was ignoring me!).

Paced about for another 15 minutes and decided he wasn't coming, so got the last portion of that stew and spuds from the fridge and nuked those hot. Into a bowl, walked into the living room and .... he's arrived.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    So you're well "in credit" there on the favours account Apji:rotfl:.

That is the problem to being someone that's absolutely dud on the DIY front - as I am myself:rotfl:. I do struggle with finding a firm to do DIY jobs for me since moving here and do struggle rather and have to do whatever work-arounds I can think of. So that tends to be tagging them onto "big jobs" and paying them extra to do "bits" or asking the once-a-year plumber doing my annual service what he'd charge for an "extra bit". I have been known to ask a female friend (or two) if I can "borrow" her husband for an hour or two for a minor favour as well.

Gawd - that makes me sound so "archetypal female - useless at DIY" errrm...and I am:o.

Sounds like it was worth us all encouraging you to go to that group then - and better breakfast than I'd anticipated it would be - so :D. What's not to like about that?:D

Sending PM re reasons for move here..

EDIT; Pastures - sorry you've had a let-down. I know I'm permanently "on alert" whilst I'm waiting in for a tradesperson - and I should know better by now (having lived here for a few years now and it happens often here). Fingers crossed it's sorted soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrAP, that sounds one excellent group for you, intelligent companionship and great food, something to look forward to :D

Farway, let us know when it happens and you to pastures

Where has the morning gone? Parkin is cooling, lunch eaten, stock ingredients ready to cook, DW on and 40 minutes on the phone, dd and then sister. I have decided to make a good pressure cooker casserole tomorrow and turkey breast is de-frosting. I loved the spice blend I used last time, 5 spice, star anise and cinnamon. Looks as though I will be having turkey soup tomorrow as there is a fair bit of lean meat on the carcase, I`ll just add some pasta to the soup to make a meal. Then the casserole will likely make 4-5 meals to freeze

I suppose I can make pasta sauce from the red pepper and frozen cherry tomatoes, tomorrow and will last a few days in the fridge. I could layer that with cooked pasta and put the remaining mozarella on top for one meal anyway
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a good job he had a van and not a donkey .... donkeys can't walk with their hind legs missing!

Now eating my "packed lunch" I made earlier, made in anticipation of going out and thinking it prudent to pack something to eat.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 January 2018 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello Farway,

A new baby! Exciting - if you aren't able to reply we know you are setting out, good luck and early congratulations...

I sense baby-sitting duties in your near future :j

ooops, I should've mentioned this was over 40 years ago, number 2 baby is now dad of 2, and they are both school age :):):)

No more babies due unless my teenage grandchildren are less than careful;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Paced about for another 15 minutes and decided he wasn't coming, so got the last portion of that stew and spuds from the fridge and nuked those hot. Into a bowl, walked into the living room and .... he's arrived.

Doing something else always works, like waiting in for parcel, go to loo, bing bong, doorbell and note though the letterbox:(

Lunch was BF ham + salad as expected, no added gateau though wort:)

I have made a start on the creamy spud & celery soup, which means the celery is out & prepped, spud and onion out ready for peeling / chopping. Only takes about 45 minutes, including boiling up & whizzing

However I will stick with the fried cod for dinner as planned, the fish is fresh but there are two fillets, and curse of CFO, once opened both will need using.

The soup will keep once ready
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    The roast dinner has been downgraded and I might just have boiled spuds with veg and gravy later. I've been watching the Sunday politics programmes and got a bit distracted.:p

Did anyone see Miriam Margolyes swear on Peston on Sunday? She said the F-word.

OMG, I was laughing so much.:rotfl:

I've had a yoghurt, an apple, some crackers and peanut butter and some raw nuts.

MrAPJI wrote: »
    Good Afternoon :)

It was my first meeting at the ''Breakfast Club'' today. What a super bunch of chaps - all ages and from all walks of life - absolute pleasure to share their company. The breakfast was fantastic and such a wide choice. I chose : Porridge with berry compote; scrambled egg with smoked salmon bagel; almond croissant and a fresh fruit salad. I certainly don't feel like any lunch :). Following breakfast, one of the chaps gave a talk about working as an airline pilot, which was really interesting. Anyway, so glad I joined the group :)

Lovely. I'm glad it went well.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made an all in one sponge cake earlier with dgson, we added ginger, and stem ginger to it, then I left it in too long, as I was descaling the coffee machine!
    It will still get eaten ,I'm thinking of putting custard on it.
    About to put the chicken pie in that was going to be yesterday's tea, will warm up the sliced pots and onion, and put the cauli on.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback