Fertility clinic advice - Care or Nurture?

Options
Morning all,

I am hoping that some of you may be able to give any personal experience of using the Care or Nurture fertility clinics, specifically in Nottingham and where there has been male factor infertility.

We are at the stage where we now need to consider IVF due to low/no sperm count.

We visited both the clinics for an informal meeting and look round yesterday. Now we need to decide which we prefer to book the initial scan and consultation. We will be funding it privately.

If you have used either of these clinics - what was your experience like?

Any advice on supplements that have improved sperm counts (has anyone tried Condensyl?) would also be very welcomed!

Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read and reply!

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all,

I am hoping that some of you may be able to give any personal experience of using the Care or Nurture fertility clinics, specifically in Nottingham and where there has been male factor infertility.

We are at the stage where we now need to consider IVF due to low/no sperm count.

We visited both the clinics for an informal meeting and look round yesterday. Now we need to decide which we prefer to book the initial scan and consultation. We will be funding it privately.

If you have used either of these clinics - what was your experience like?

Any advice on supplements that have improved sperm counts (has anyone tried Condensyl?) would also be very welcomed!

Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read and reply!

Sorry to hear that you need to have fertility treatment as I remember how hard it is to find that assisted conception is the only way too have your much longed for family.

I have a wonderful eight year old thanks to the wonderful staff at Care and an amazing egg donor. Though I had most of my treatment at Northampton I did do one cycle at Nottingham and really can't fault their service. Even though I had my treatment quite a few years ago I've stayed in contact with several of the staff and I've helped the clinic raise awareness of the need for gamete donors and spoken about my experience as a patient in print, broadcast journalism and at medical conferences - it is the least I can do after all that they have done to help my husband and myself. I was never made to feel like a medical patient - the nursing staff in particular are friendly and really put you at ease, and these are the staff you will have most interaction with. I can honestly say that my daughter's conception was one of the most wonderful and joyful experiences - her embryo transfer was done whilst the entire theatre team joined in with singing to Elvis on my iPod! It might not have been the way that we thought we would have our family but I am so grateful that everyone at Care made it so much easier and less daunting. In the summer I'm taking my daughter back to the clinic to meet the staff again and see for herself where her story started - she has always known about the fact that she is donor born and that the special doctors helped to make her and she is really excited to see where it happened.

I hope that you are as blessed as we have been, and feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions you don't want to post on an open forum.

Good luck!
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response LilElvis. How lovely that you have stayed in contact with the nurses.

Did you have many cycles before getting your little one?

We are also uncertain what to do about funding it.... we are unsure, do we just pay per treatment or take a risk on one of the access fertility packages?! Luckily that decision doesn't need to be made for a while but a big decision!
  • LilElvis
    Options
    I had two cycles with my own eggs, the first resulting in an early miscarriage, but I was about 40. My egg quality would have been poor and my issues were compounded by the fact that I'm a poor responder to the medication so, though I had plenty of follicles, the rate of growth was so slow that they only managed to retrieve one egg at each cycle, even though I was on the highest dose for nearly twice as long as normal. Having such a poor response is,apparently, quite rare. I then had a cycle with donor eggs which failed, followed by a cycle using the frozen embryos from the donor cycle. The frozen cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy, though sadly one was lost at 9 1/2 weeks, and my daughter is the remaining twin. We also needed ICSI for each of the cycles. Each patient is different though - some are lucky and it works first time, others can do multiple cycles with no pregnancy. I won't say it's easy, because it really isn't, as the emotional toll of trying to conceive is made worse by the damned drugs - they can leave you quite fragile and prone to extreme mood swings. You really do need too have a supportive partner to help you get through it! Anything else you want to know - just ask and I'll try to help.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you LilElvis, it means alot to know I'm not alone! We are likely to need ICSI too I think. I am quite aware at 33 (and a half!) that soon my egg quality will start decreasing and we don't want to add more problems to the mix!
  • LilElvis
    Options
    Thank you LilElvis, it means alot to know I'm not alone! We are likely to need ICSI too I think. I am quite aware at 33 (and a half!) that soon my egg quality will start decreasing and we don't want to add more problems to the mix!

You've still got plenty of time! I had a natural miscarriage at 38 after only trying for a month, but I then wasted a couple of years before seeking help - so I was 43 when our daughter was born. My donor was 32 with two girls (via treatment) and she donated twice - creating 4 families - so our daughter has 6 biological half siblings, strangely all girls. So someone close to your age most certainly can be successfu!l We needed ICSI too and we had 100% fertilisation rate - the embryologists are very highly qualified. There was a whole programme about infertility and IVF on radio 5 today (Sarah Barnet?) - the bits I heard were really interesting as it was a room full of women at all stages of treatment. It might be worth you looking it up on podcast. You've started the ball rolling, so stay positive and enjoy alcohol and caffeine while you still can. X
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    You've still got plenty of time! I had a natural miscarriage at 38 after only trying for a month, but I then wasted a couple of years before seeking help - so I was 43 when our daughter was born. My donor was 32 with two girls (via treatment) and she donated twice - creating 4 families - so our daughter has 6 biological half siblings, strangely all girls. So someone close to your age most certainly can be successfu!l We needed ICSI too and we had 100% fertilisation rate - the embryologists are very highly qualified. There was a whole programme about infertility and IVF on radio 5 today (Sarah Barnet?) - the bits I heard were really interesting as it was a room full of women at all stages of treatment. It might be worth you looking it up on podcast. You've started the ball rolling, so stay positive and enjoy alcohol and caffeine while you still can. X

Oh yes I will have a look to see if I can read that, thank you. Nurture told us about a fertility support group which is held there and there's a meeting in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about going but not sure at the minute. It's not run by nurture they just allow it to be held there so it is open to anyone!

Wow that's amazing to have 100% fertilisation rate! Care gave us a pack with alot of detailed information of the science side of things so I think I will sit down with a gin this weekend and read it all properly. We've spoken to our GP who is printing off all our results so far so we have them to take to a private clinic.

We have a holiday in August which is providing a bump in the road as it is a low risk zika country. Unsure whether the right thing is to try and squeeze in a treatment before (and risk being very early pregnant there with the ongoing anxiety of wondering if everything is ok) or waiting until after which means delaying treatment until September. I'm not sure which is the best at the moment, my heart says one thing and my head says the other!
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 May 2019 at 10:48PM
    Options
    Oh yes I will have a look to see if I can read that, thank you. Nurture told us about a fertility support group which is held there and there's a meeting in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about going but not sure at the minute. It's not run by nurture they just allow it to be held there so it is open to anyone!

Wow that's amazing to have 100% fertilisation rate! Care gave us a pack with alot of detailed information of the science side of things so I think I will sit down with a gin this weekend and read it all properly. We've spoken to our GP who is printing off all our results so far so we have them to take to a private clinic.

We have a holiday in August which is providing a bump in the road as it is a low risk zika country. Unsure whether the right thing is to try and squeeze in a treatment before (and risk being very early pregnant there with the ongoing anxiety of wondering if everything is ok) or waiting until after which means delaying treatment until September. I'm not sure which is the best at the moment, my heart says one thing and my head says the other!

I hope all goes well, just wanted to say to never give up, it took my parents 10yrs to have me and it happened naturally after 2yrs of going through the adoption process, tons of fertility meds etc

As for the holiday, why not have it and then begin the process after? If early pregnant you may feel pretty rough anyway and then the worry, delaying a few months won't hurt and better than any risk IMO. All the best!
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    I hope all goes well, just wanted to say to never give up, it took my parents 10yrs to have me and it happened naturally after 2yrs of going through the adoption process, tons of fertility meds etc

As for the holiday, why not have it and then begin the process after? If early pregnant you may feel pretty rough anyway and then the worry, delaying a few months won't hurt and better than any risk IMO. All the best!

Thank you. I am hoping our journey will not be a lengthy one but I have a horrible feeling in my heart that it will.

That's what my head says but my heart is just so broken from the wait so far I want to get moving asap! I am a person that likes to have a plan in place!

However, we have found out that we can have the consultation and discuss the treatment options and changes of success now and start the treatment after the holiday at the clinic we preferred
    > which I think is going to be the best option. The other clinic clinic said we would have to wait until nearer the time which is what didn't sit well with me as that meant being in limbo not knowing what options we had for several more months!

So hopefully we will be self referring tonight! :)
  • Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to give you a bit of hope in the early 1970s we were told we would be unlikely to have children due to low sperm count. To our surprise that proved to be wrong. In December 1975 I gave birth to a son then amazingly his brother arrived in March 1977. In January 1986 their sister was born.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    That's amazing mardle! I commented to my OH how we are lucky we have the option of IVF as when we were born this wasn't something that would have been available to our parents. Sadly with our age and that the low sperm count is due to partial failure of the testicles (which I presume will develop to complete failure!) time isn't on our side! But it only takes one good swimmer :)

I have booked my scan and the consultation appointment now so just need to count down until hopefully we have some information and options!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure