Why become a mortgage broker

Options

Comments

• Madjock
    Madjock Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    The 200k is the commission amount, not the no of cases. The no of cases i'm not sure, i know i average about 80/90 cases at any one time allocated to me.
    Yes, a lot of cases are submitted electronically. Our part of the business isn't hugely profitable, but we are part of an estate agent so other parts of the business make up for our lower profit margin, and the life cases are very often more profitable than the mortgage cases. Fees vary enormously, some advisors don't charge a fee, some do - the adverse cases very often have high arrangement fees (as is always the case, the less you have, the more you pay). Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that the more problematic a case the more man hours spent on it. The Halifaxes and Northern Rocks quite often are offered within a week of us getting the case in the office. We have adverse cases that have taken a year or more to complete.
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    Options
    Such is the life of a domestic mortgage broker!

Anyone fancy becoming a commercial mortgage broker?

JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Options
    Average proc fee of £450 would equate to 14/15 cases per adviser which is a good level. I do that without admin support
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JoeK_3
    Options
    homer_j wrote: »
    Average proc fee of £450 would equate to 14/15 cases per adviser which is a good level. I do that without admin support

And work very hard for it I'll bet!

JoeK
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • homer_j_3
    Options
    oh yes - its exhausting

the 80% life to mtg ratio helps me justify the time though lol.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • HelpWhereIcan
    HelpWhereIcan Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    The commercial side of mortgages is a growing (but still ignored) side of our business. The cases I have done have been interesting to do as the skill set required is a little different and business owners tend to be very focused on what they are getting for their money.

This does mean that it is easier to justify charging a fee as most business owners can quantify the time you save them as well as the cost.

I have though found it neccesary to charge an upfront fee for researching their options and coming up with a proposal as I have had business owners use the figures I get them to bargain down their own bank. Easier done in commercial as banks tend to have a bit of movement in the rate when pushed that they no longer have in residential.

interesting work, well paid, but hard work and increasingly competitive.
    I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • HelpWhereIcan
    HelpWhereIcan Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    homer_j wrote: »
    oh yes - its exhausting

the 80% life to mtg ratio helps me justify the time though lol.

You also need that work life balance and I find that admin support and technology help me get that
    I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JoeK_3
    Options
    If it's true that procuration fees are to be squeezed by the lenders, Is this an area that all fee charging brokers will move to in the future?

What will happen to the domestic broker then?

Will the Banks and Building Societies win in the end and continue to take a bigger share of the retail market?

JoeK
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The commercial side of mortgages is a growing (but still ignored) side of our business. The cases I have done have been interesting to do as the skill set required is a little different and business owners tend to be very focused on what they are getting for their money.

This does mean that it is easier to justify charging a fee as most business owners can quantify the time you save them as well as the cost.

I have though found it neccesary to charge an upfront fee for researching their options and coming up with a proposal as I have had business owners use the figures I get them to bargain down their own bank. Easier done in commercial as banks tend to have a bit of movement in the rate when pushed that they no longer have in residential.

interesting work, well paid, but hard work and increasingly competitive.

I've got to be honest I've NEVER EVER done a commercial mortgage - I've had a handful of enquiries in the past but I've always handed them over to other brokers - indeed I pm'd JoeK with one the other day. The reason I do this is because I work alone and I have nobody to train me on them and I feel I would not be giving me clients the service they deserve due to my lack of training in that area

MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • homer_j_3
    Options
    i do get that to be fair and have become strict with myself on the hours I work.

There is a high burnout rate in the industry because people dont pace themselves.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure