Paying a cheque in using a phone

Options
I've tried really hard to pay a cheque into my bank account using an app on my mobile phone. I spent ages trying to get the phone camera position in just the right way and at the right height with enough light but nothing worked. I eventually gave up and took the cheque to the Post Office. A friend has just said that she's been trying to do the same thing but has also found it impossible. Has anyone on here ever managed to do it? Is there something you could use to hold the phone steady? I'm sure we can't be the only ones to fail.
Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:

Comments

• What bank?
    What app?
  • KrsyW
    KrsyW Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently had a RFL refund, and using the Lloyds app was a bit tricky until I put the cheque on a black background that was big enough to fill the rest of the screen. I had been using something that was a dark brown and didn't quite fill the screen.

Once I switched it over it seemed to be much more forgiving with regards to camera position.
    Emergency Fund: £10,000/£10,000
    Mortgage Overpayment Fund: £18,160/£60,000

Current Mortgage End Date: Nov 47
    Target End Date: Apr 34
    End Date Inc Overpayment: Dec 45
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Done it successfully several times with the Lloyds app.

Sometimes it is tricky to get the focus right - and you do need a steady hand.

And as mentioned above a contrasting background, plain, is best. Don't overdo the light though.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paid in with both Lloyds and Halifax apps (I know, both LBG, same app different branding)

Both times, a machined printed, large format, business cheque.

A contrasting background helps.
  • mrsyardbroom
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    What bank?
    What app?
    It was Lloyds Bank, their own app.

Perhaps I didn't use a big enough dark background to fill the screen.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • BakingC
    BakingC Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Managed it with Halifax earlier in the year. Took ages as you say but I was bed bound after surgery so had nothing better to do with my time anyway.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It works for me. My app even put a frame up on the screen into which I had to fit the cheque.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does it let you set the self-timer on the phone camera? Helps no end as you can then use both hands to hold the phone steady and don't have to press the button for it to fire.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    datostar wrote: »
    Does it let you set the self-timer on the phone camera? Helps no end as you can then use both hands to hold the phone steady and don't have to press the button for it to fire.
    I don't think you need to press a button. IIRC it takes the shot automatically when it sees a cheque shaped object, in focus, within its aiming zone.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    I've done it three times on the Halifax app and it's always worked for me. it is hard to get the hang of at the beginning, though.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport