IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones / Euro Car Parks / CCJ / Wrong Address

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    __________ :wall: ___________
  • theblackfox
    theblackfox Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    This is what I advised you on 17th November last year:

I'm giving up on repeating advice. My life is too short!

I took every post on board and read all given advice to get me through the first part of getting the CCJ set aside (which I won at hearing) to the best of my ability, I was slightly confused with the step by step information provided in the newbie section so I asked for advice.

I didn't realise it's a repeat of the original steps I followed.

I've now sent off Directions Questionaire, will update with further info when I have it.
  • theblackfox
    edited 5 June 2018 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Another update for you guys!

After sending directions Questionaire off I have received a 'Notice of Allocation To the Small Claims Track (Hearing)' Document stating the following:

- Judge has allocated the claim to the small claims track

- Unless the claimant does by Xpm on XX XX XX pay the court the trial fee of £25 or file a properly completed application then the claim will be struck out with effect of XX XX XX without further order and, unless the court orders otherwise you will also be liable for the costs which the defendant has incurred.

Then just general info on hearing date and when to submit particulars of claim etc.

So fingers crossed they don't bother filing a properly completed application and it gets struck out, but I expect the worst and going right to the end of this, a bloody year later!

Time to get my paperwork together.
  • theblackfox
    Options
    Hi Guys, quick question for you.

I'm re-prepping my documents to submit to the court for my final hearing, should I:

a) keep the defence/witness statement the same as what it was for the set-aside hearing.
    or
    b) Amend the defence/witness statement removing set-aside points such as wrong address etc?

Also, I've still not had a single copy of the POC from Gladstones (I briefly saw it at my set-aside from the Judge) after repeatedly asking them for it. So I'm still none the wiser of their claim.

Thanks in advance
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've still not had a single copy of the POC from Gladstones

Get onto them now and ask them where it is. Make sure you note when you called. emailed or wrote. If you still don't get anything, you put in your defence that

a) No POC even after asking and
    b) a request to sanction via a strikeout of the claim and your costs.

Don't expect the court to do the work for you when you can do it yourself.
  • theblackfox
    Options
    Thanks IamEmanresu, sent another email to them on the day of your reply, still nothing. Will print email chain for my evidence.

Any thoughts on the above question:

Should I:
    a) keep the defence/witness statement the same as what it was for the set-aside hearing.
    or
    b) Amend the defence/witness statement removing set-aside points focusing on not receiving the claim such as wrong address etc?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 9 July 2018 at 10:35PM
    Options
    You can do a new witness statement as the statement filed for the Set Aside was a statement in support of the application. The statement you are about to submit is the statement in support of the claim.

For clarity, you should endorse the statement in the top right corner of the statement in smaller font (I use size 8) as follows:
    [/

Witness Statement of: The Black Fox
    For: The Defendant
    Statement: Second
    Exhibits: TBF1, TBF2, TBF3
    Date: Date

Underneath that you have the names of the Parties in the usual way and in size 12 font, double or 1.5-line spaced.

PARKING COMPANY Claimant
    -and-
    THE BLACK FOX Defendant

WITNESS STATEMENT
    OF THE BLACK FOX

Unless the Claimant has served a new set of Particulars, you presumably will have little to add to the Defence, anyway? If the Claimant is serving a new version (and post #94 suggests that this is what the Claimant has been ordered to do) then that is your opportunity to tidy it all up - there may be new allegations that you haven't had a chance to address/ haven't anticipated. Generally, Claimant Particulars are so bad, them serving a new version that you can respond to isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • theblackfox
    Options
    Thank you Josh!
    Johnersh wrote: »

Unless the Claimant has served a new set of Particulars, you presumably will have little to add to the Defence, anyway?

Correct, the defence will pretty much stay the same because the Claimant has never sent me a POC, and still not recieved one even though they have been ordered (Probably recieve it the day before deadline!)

I'll tidy up a new Witness statement and get all my paperwork filed as I have 6 days left. Then I can re-focus on getting ready for my wedding!
  • theblackfox
    Options
    I've created a new Witness statement, kept it as simple as possible and focused on not receiving any documents from the claimant (Only breifly seeing them in court at set aside). Let me know of any points I should add and I will post tomorrow.

I am XXXXXX and I am the Defendant in this matter. I am unrepresented, with no experience of Court procedures. If I do not set out documents in the way that the Claimant may do, I trust the Court will excuse my inexperience.!

1. The facts set out in this Witness Statement are true to the best of my knowledge and belief and are within my own knowledge unless stated to the contrary.

2. I have not received any paperwork or particulars of claim from the Claimant through this entire process thus was never able to properly challenge the Claimant!!!8217;s claim.

3. On 28/02/2018 as advised by the court, I emailed the claimant asking for a copy of the particulars of claim, this has been ignored

4. On 08/05/2018 I emailed the claimant again asking for a copy of the particulars of claim and again this has been ignored.

5. On 03/07/2018 I attempted again to obtain any documents from the claimants via email to which it has been ignored once again.

6. The claimant has failed to serve the defendant with any copies of the particulars of claim to file a full defence.

7. I believe the particulars of claim do not meet the requirements of Practice Direction 16 7.5 as there is nothing which specifies how the terms were breached. Indeed the particulars of claim are not clear and concise as is required by CPR 16.4 1(a)

8. I further submit that the Claimant!!!8217;s claim is without merit due to substantial issues in law. This is for the following main reasons:

8.1. Lack of Standing by Claimant: The Claimant is unlikely to be the landowner of the car park in question, and will have no proprietary interest in it. This means that the Claimant, as a matter of law, will have no locus standi to litigate in their own name. Any consideration will have been provided by the landholder, and only they would have been able sue for any damages or trespass.

8.2. Claimed charge is an Unenforceable Penalty: I further submit that the Parking Charge that the Claimant claimed, given it is not based on any loss suffered due to the alleged breach, is nothing but an unenforceable penalty.

8.3. No contract with the claimant: Any contract must have offer, acceptance and consideration both ways. There would not have been consideration from the Claimant to the motorist; the fee for parking benefits the landowners, not the Claimant. Therefore, there is no consideration from the motorist to Claimant.

9. On this basis I believe that the Claimant has not provided any reasonable cause of action and thus the claim should be dismissed in its entirety.

10. In order to make informed decisions and statements in my defence as keeper of the vehicle, I will require copies of all paperwork and pictures of all signs from the Claimant.

Statement of Truth:
    I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
    Full name: XXXXXXXXX

Dated XX/XX/XX

Signed: __________________________________
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    In your points 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 you state you have not received particulars of claim (POC) then go on in 7 to state that the POC do not meet the requirements. How do you know if you never received them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure