April King

Options

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    No deprivation the doner is dead.
    I am talking about trust setup long BEFORE the donor dies.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Does not apply to tenants in common and life interests
    Your reply is opposite to what councils claim.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I am talking about trust setup long BEFORE the donor dies.

In those cases the doners may have deprivation if their share is needed for their care, but the tax changes make them less effective for IHT mitigation.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Your reply is opposite to what councils claim.

Where do councils say they can access assets never belonging to the person that needs care.?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Where do councils say they can access assets never belonging to the person that needs care.?
    As per the link in post #32.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    As per the link in post #32.

You have not understood the contents of the link.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Care to explain please?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Care to explain please?
    The article referred to says:
    "However, if the Local Authority considers a transfer of an asset away from a person’s ownership to be a ‘deliberate deprivation’ of that person’s assets then they have the power to challenge such transfer."
    But this thread is talking about the 50% which was never owned by the person wanting care, not the other 50% they do own, so I don't see how deliberate deprivation could apply.
  • Yorkshireman99
    edited 14 May 2019 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    The article referred to says:
    "However, if the Local Authority considers a transfer of an asset away from a person’s ownership to be a ‘deliberate deprivation’ of that person’s assets then they have the power to challenge such transfer."
    But this thread is talking about the 50% which was never owned by the person wanting care, not the other 50% they do own, so I don't see how deliberate deprivation could apply.
    Thank you. Point taken. However, I was making a wider point. If ONE OF A couple as TIC place one half of the house into a trust for the deliberate purpose of avoiding future care fees does that count as deprivation? It seems to me there is a strong case for the Council to say it does. AIUI a number of companies have been pedalling this sort of trust with exactly that objective.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    YM99 IANAL but seems to me that since the couple own the house 50/50 then the LA cannot coherently argue that the 50 that doesn't belong to the party who needs to pay for care, can be confiscated in order to do so. Each party has free reign to leave to whoever (or whatever) they want.
    To argue otherwise would in essence be arbitrary confiscation of assets. They may not even be married or in a partnership. And Why stop at the house? Why not take the other partner's investments or their car or whatever ? This is not a joint asset. If the government doesn't want people to hold assets separately they will need to legislate and I can't see that flying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure