UK Passport Application - No option to upload photo

Options
So I've just applied to renew my old (expired with corner cut off) passport.

Having filled out the appropriate details and paid the online fee of £80 I was expecting to be given the option to upload a digital photo of myself.

Instead, I've had to download a declaration form that needs to be printed and sent in with physical photos.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a UK photo driving licence, did they ask to use that photo?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why have you paid £80? This page says that the renewal fee if paid online is £75.50. Are you sure you used the gov.uk site?

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I renewed mine online and uploaded a digital photo, are you on the correct website ?
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    I just filled in my form to renew my passport last week.

It cost £75.50 and I uploaded an image of myself.

It costs £85 to be done by paper. There is no £80 option... Have you paid via a third party website rather than the official site? https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    When renewing an expired passport online, there is sometimes a requirement to submit expired passport by post.

If you have to do this and you want the expired one returned to you, you have to pay the cost of the return postage and if this is the case with the OP, it might explain the extra amount that they have paid.
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    When renewing an expired passport online, there is sometimes a requirement to submit expired passport by post.

If you have to do this and you want the expired one returned to you, you have to pay the cost of the return postage and if this is the case with the OP, it might explain the extra amount that they have paid.

There is a £5 charge to have it returned by signed for mail, which is optional. You can opt to have your passport returned for free via regular mail (as I have done).

But yes, that could be why it was £5 more...
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    So I've just applied to renew my old (expired with corner cut off) passport.

Having filled out the appropriate details and paid the online fee of £80 I was expecting to be given the option to upload a digital photo of myself.

Instead, I've had to download a declaration form that needs to be printed and sent in with physical photos.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew
    Photos
    If you use the new online passport renewal service you’ll need someone to take a photo of you using a digital camera or smartphone.

If you use the old ‘existing’ online service, send your application by post or use the Passport Check and Send service, you’ll need 2 identical new photos of yourself.
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    Just an update, yes the extra £5 was for the return postage.
    I had read the paragraph quoted above
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Photos
    If you use the new online passport renewal service you’ll need someone to take a photo of you using a digital camera or smartphone.

If you use the old ‘existing’ online service, send your application by post or use the Passport Check and Send service, you’ll need 2 identical new photos of yourself.

At no point did it ask whether I wanted to use the old or new service, guess I'll be sending those photos in.
  • frugalbutfun
    Options
    I recently renewed my passport and wasn’t given the option of using the old or new service. I had to send in physical photos despite wanting to upload photos. On querying this, from memory, it was because I have dual citizenship.
  • Pasanda
    Pasanda Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The new online service with photo upload is limited in the number of applications they take (think it is still in trial mode or sorts). If the quota is filled, when you get to the renewal site you will be directed to the old one which requires you to send a form and photos in as you describe.
    My husband did his recently and got immediately to the new versions, whilst I had to try several days until I got the new service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure