Electric cars

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wasn't highlighting any issues, merely pointing out that manufacturers of components like traditional gearboxes are not necessarily going to be "toast" as a result of increasing electrification. ZF, for example, has embraced the changes and diversified into complete EV motor/transmission packages and control systems etc.
    Hi

Understood, but the issue raised is that which of the two complete supply chains will fail to exist in it's current form ... drive-train? -or- power-train? as both couldn't exist and maintain the level of profitability to maintain the required level of product & plant investment ... effectively, if the OEM stands back and allows tier1 to take the strain and supply modular solutions then there'll be a massive reduction in fixed overhead recovery at the assembly plants which will lead to consolidation/downsizing of assembly sites to maintain margin, else parts of the supply chain will be subjected to mergers and/or acquisitions to both widen the technology base and achieve scale related economies ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Understood, but the issue raised is that which of the two complete supply chains will fail to exist in it's current form ... drive-train? -or- power-train? as both couldn't exist and maintain the level of profitability to maintain the required level of product & plant investment ... effectively, if the OEM stands back and allows tier1 to take the strain and supply modular solutions then there'll be a massive reduction in fixed overhead recovery at the assembly plants which will lead to consolidation/downsizing of assembly sites to maintain margin, else parts of the supply chain will be subjected to mergers and/or acquisitions to both widen the technology base and achieve scale related economies ...

Or, like their suppliers, the OEMs could just adapt and, for example, switch from manufacturing IC engines in-house to manufacturing battery packs.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 January 2018 at 11:43PM
    Options

There will of course always be those that can adapt and survive, i pointed out the spark plug company as an example. Looks like ZF are attempting the same. That solution may get taken up or it may not, the chinese see this as a massive area where the playing field is level and they are not playing up up to ROTW expertese in ICE.

Lke dinos, few will become birds and survive (OK I realise thats not an exact analogy).
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    You can easily spent 15 minutes in a service station if there are a few of you. With 2 kids we're likely to be stopping at least every 2 hours.

Hi, I may be wrong, but I think the latest Leaf, or perhaps the coming 60kWh Leaf is capable of using 210kW chargers, so in the future, taking your 15min example and running with it, it should be possible to put a 50kWh charge in, and driving another 3-4hrs and 200 miles. that sounds very reasonable to me too.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:25AM
    Options
    I wasn't highlighting any issues, merely pointing out that manufacturers of components like traditional gearboxes are not necessarily going to be "toast" as a result of increasing electrification. ZF, for example, has embraced the changes and diversified into complete EV motor/transmission packages and control systems etc.

I think you may be missing the point, even if ZF and others stick with gearbox production, then their business will still reduce massively.

They will go from producing a large and expensive piece of kit, such as a multi gear + reverse manual/automatic gearbox, and replace that with just a very simple gear reduction unit (not really a gear box as it only has one fixed gear).

Although it's been many decades I can still recall building R/C cars, no gearbox, just a small gear on the motor shaft and a large gear on the prop-shaft to give a gear reduction from the high speed motor and a torque increase, that's all it was. However the limited slip differential was a monster with so many fiddly parts.

So there is simply no comparison between an 'old' gearbox and a 'new' gear reduction, and the loss of gearbox work will be massive.

[Edit - Perhaps this is a better explanation. Let's say the production of a single fixed gear reduction is 90% (or perhaps 99%) simpler than building a gearbox, then the industry will contract by 90% to 99%. M.]

Or, like their suppliers, the OEMs could just adapt and, for example, switch from manufacturing IC engines in-house to manufacturing battery packs.

Yes they could, but you are confusing the issue. What you are suggesting is the survival of a company by changing what it does. That's not the same as an industry surviving. For example, let's say Cummins Diesel switches to building battery packs, Cummins may survive, but diesel engine manufacturing hasn't.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hi, I may be wrong, but I think the latest Leaf, or perhaps the coming 60kWh Leaf is capable of using 210kW chargers, so in the future, taking your 15min example and running with it, it should be possible to put a 50kWh charge in, and driving another 3-4hrs and 200 miles. that sounds very reasonable to me too.

Of course, what needs to be remembered is that fast charging is a Bad Thing for batteries. For an occasional special trip it is ok, but it is not a solution for regular long journeys as it will prematurely kill the battery, even with the careful recharging management. Full charge left lying around, full discharge and fast charging are all issues. A high battery capacity has the advantage of allowing the daily routine to be far less challenging and make it easier to extend battery life, especially if you can work between say 20 to 80% charging. A bigger battery pack also allows better performance without stressing the batteries with a fast discharge. Ludicrous mode in Teslas is a performance mode that kills the battery due to excessive discharge - ok for a very occasional treat or putting Ferraris in their place I guess.

There was the case where a Tesla owner was very miffed that his Tesla would no longer fast charge as he recharged it like that every time. RTFM was the response I think.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    I think you may be missing the point, even if ZF and others stick with gearbox production, then their business will still reduce massively.

They will go from producing a large and expensive piece of kit, such as a multi gear + reverse manual/automatic gearbox, and replace that with just a very simple gear reduction unit (not really a gear box as it only has one fixed gear).

On the contrary, I think you may be missing my point. To ensure that their business does not reduce massively, ZF are not sticking with gearbox production. They have diversified away from solely producing gearboxes and final drives to also producing integrated electric drive systems.

A quick glance at the picture I posted or better, a perusal of their website using the link I also posted should convince you that these integrated systems are equally as large and expensive as any conventional gearbox.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And I think the point I made above is being ignored. Reality and facts can be so inconvenient to these arguments...

Transmissions are just one part of ZF's business.
    https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/products/further_product_ranges/index.html

They're not even the entirety of ZF's car business...
    https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/products/product_range/cars/cars.html

...and cars aren't the entirety of their automotive business...
    https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/products/product_range/product_range.html

Would a complete cessation of their car transmission business, tomorrow, hurt their bottom line? Yes, of course. Would it kill the business? Not even close. Is that complete cessation tomorrow going to happen? Of course it isn't.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    Yes they could, but you are confusing the issue. What you are suggesting is the survival of a company by changing what it does. That's not the same as an industry surviving. For example, let's say Cummins Diesel switches to building battery packs, Cummins may survive, but diesel engine manufacturing hasn't.

Again, I think you are missing my point... they aren't changing what they do. The company is in business to produce vehicles, that is what they will continue to do.

The majority of the parts that they use are bought in from outside suppliers, however, some may be made in-house. Jaguar Land Rover, for example has an IC engine production plant. As the demand for IC engines decreases and the demand for batteries increases, the plant could switch from producing IC engines, a key component in current powertrains, to producing battery packs, a key component of EV powertrains. Meanwhile, their core business remains unchanged.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Again, I think you are missing my point... they aren't changing what they do. The company is in business to produce vehicles, that is what they will continue to do.

The issue was gearboxes, and the gearbox industry. You are trying to spin the survival of that industry by pointing to gearbox manufacturers "changing what they do", that is the survival of a company, not an industry.

If a coal company changes to mining tin, it is not the survival of the coal industry.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback