PAYG monthly or contract sim?

Options
~Daisy_81~
~Daisy_81~ Posts: 45 Forumite
First Anniversary
I need a new sim for my phone but there's so many I can't decide what's best. My current network is o2 but I don't get enough right now with my bundle, my new phone is locked to EE but I know I can get it unlocked (can I do this online?) I need unlimited texts, as many mins as possible or unlimited and some data. I did get a EE sim a bit ago bundle that's £15 monthly for unlimited texts 250 mins and 4gb data but haven't used it yet.

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ~Daisy_81~ wrote: »
    I need a new sim for my phone but there's so many I can't decide what's best. My current network is o2 but I don't get enough right now with my bundle, my new phone is locked to EE but I know I can get it unlocked (can I do this online?) I need unlimited texts, as many mins as possible or unlimited and some data. I did get a EE sim a bit ago bundle that's £15 monthly for unlimited texts 250 mins and 4gb data but haven't used it yet.

For a quick solution you might wish to look at Asda Mobile or any of the others shown here as piggybacking off of EE: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking

This may help: https://www.giffgaff.com/unlock .

EE would unlock the phone for £8.99 in most cases: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/Unlocking-your-mobile-phone-or-device-The-EE-quick-guide/td-p/390754
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if locked to EE,

PlusNet sim only starts at £5 month
    or virgin sim only start at £6 month
  • ~Daisy_81~
    ~Daisy_81~ Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. So if asda is through ee would I still need to unlock the phone?

Thinking about giffgaff too the £12 goody bag maybe. Some say the speeds are slow on this network though, is it a good one for not crashing etc & giving OK speeds (though I know a lot depends on area and time)

I really need to get a sim ASAP as my current bundle runs out next week
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

No need to unlock, and the Asda one comes with couple of bob on it so you can try it out for free just in case

You can either buy one in the shop, 50p I think, or free on line with quick delivery IME
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Thinking about giffgaff too the £12 goody bag maybe. Some say the speeds are slow on this network though, is it a good one for not crashing etc & giving OK speeds (though I know a lot depends on area and time)

I really need to get a sim ASAP as my current bundle runs out next week

No you wouldn't. With an EE locked phone you can use EE or any network that piggybacks off of EE without needing to get it unlocked (this is for the best for now I'd say as depending on the phone and unlock provider, it might take that long or longer for it to be unlocked.)

giffgaff runs on O2 so you would need an unlock for that. Their data speeds are slow in general yes. For the best data you would need either an EE or 3 backed network. Depends on the area though; the latter two are poor in mine!
  • aayush
    aayush Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    check out u switch as the sim only 4 pounds 100 mins and 1.5 gb data
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts