British Gas Homecare, is it any good?

Options
Just signed up with BG, I have details on homecare plan sent through telling me it all costs 0.00 for the first year then costs will kick in. Shall I go with this plan and cancel if I dont use it after a year, is there any catch here?
Thanks
Sam

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sam_James wrote: »
    Just signed up with BG, I have details on homecare plan sent through telling me it all costs 0.00 for the first year then costs will kick in. Shall I go with this plan and cancel if I dont use it after a year, is there any catch here?
    Thanks
    Sam

It might get expensive after the first year but there's no reason to not get it when it's free.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You are better off putting the money into an account and using it to repair your boiler or other items as required.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had HomeCare for many years, and whilst I understand the argument that it's expensive, I've always found it convenient that I could get an engineer out fix a problem within a day or two. And, for me at least, they've been pretty efficient at getting problems sorted.

However, I currently have some intermittent problems with my boiler, so yesterday I went online to arrange an appointment. The earliest they could manage was in 10 days time (or 5 days if you were without heating and/or hot water).

Not only that, but it appears that you can no longer speak to a person on the phone. The only means of contact is online, using an app or via an automated voice recognition phone system.

They seem to have gone drastically downhill.
    Stompa
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're better off posting on the energy board here. This is for LPG, oil and other fuels.....

BG have a poor reputation, especially when it comes to condemning boilers rather than fixing them (engineers earn commission).

But some people swear by them and the 'peace of mind' offered by having a contract.

It's free? No brainer. Accept. Check if that includes the annual service or whether that's a compulsory add-on though. Read the small print!

Then reconsider in 12 months time. Personally I'd follow Relievedsheff's advice above.
  • Nevro89
    Options
    I would advise anyone to stay away from British Gas Homecare Gas maintenance plans. Actually, their service should receive no stars rather than 1
    British Gas service is appalling. On trying to arrange an annual service (last service Oct 2018) the earliest service they would offer is the end of January 2020 which is absolutely unacceptable
    They also noted it was within terms and conditions to offer a further service any time within the renewal period (i.e. between Oct 2019 and Oct 2020).
    In addition to this their level of customer service is non-existent in relation to Homecare. I have called several times, only to be left on the end of a Customer Service Homecare line for up to 1 hour with no response
    Having had this plan for only a year, we can also comment that when purchasing a plan from British Gas they were accessible almost immediately (i.e. when they are taking money from you), however when they are required to fulfil their contractual responsibilities they are extremely inaccessible)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure