Oap grandad somehow got a hire purchase car

Options

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    adeelh1987 wrote: »
    Thanks but dont toyota have a responsibility to ensure he is working before they give an agreement as such?.
    What's working got to do with it? I took out a PCP deal 2 years ago after I retired, pension income was sufficient.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks. If Toyota send me the application and it shows he didnt provide much, im assuming we got a case to argue?.

It's unlikely, as Toyota are the ones taking the risk, and he passed their criteria.

But stranger things have happened.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All the doctor's letter states is that he has started to become more forgetful, and it's dated two months after the agreement.

I think you're going to struggle with any complaint, due to the time lapsed and the lack of evidence of any difficulties at the relevant time.
    He can!!!8217;t drive due to his memory problems and his eyesight it not great either; I refuse to get in the car with him as I fear for my life.

This suggests he is still driving. Has he been driving the car since he got it?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised that Toyota are actually talking to you unless you have POA.

And from the sounds of it, if you haven't got it then it is to late and you would need to go through the Court of Protection.
  • adeelh1987
    adeelh1987 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He drove it for about a month and its been parked up since. Okay re letter.

By poa do you mean power of attorney? I dont have it but he was presant when we spoke on the phone and gave authorisation for me to speak to them on his behalf so a poa is not required.

His pension income is not sufficient to be forking out the cost on this agreement, he barely is able to survive on food for himself and his animals as well as his household bills. Which is why i am mentioning it, not to offend anyone on a pension.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He drove it for about a month and its been parked up since. Okay re letter.

By poa do you mean power of attorney? I dont have it but he was presant when we spoke on the phone and gave authorisation for me to speak to them on his behalf so a poa is not required.

His pension income is not sufficient to be forking out the cost on this agreement, he barely is able to survive on food for himself and his animals as well as his household bills. Which is why i am mentioning it, not to offend anyone on a pension.

But did he tell the garage he couldn't afford it?

The doctor's letter does not suggest a lack of capacity, which is what would be required for the contract to be void.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Being a pensioner is irrelevant. I'm a pensioner and I have far more disposable income now than I ever did when I was working.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    But did he tell the garage he couldn't afford it?

The doctor's letter does not suggest a lack of capacity, which is what would be required for the contract to be void.

That's the key bit of info we're missing. Did he mislead them? I can only guess the answer's yes. The question of income will have come up and I can't think they'd have gone ahead if he'd told them his annual income was around £3,600.

I think the GP letter may damage your case rather than help it. It doesn't describe a man who's unable to make financial decisions.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,837 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 4:05PM
    Options
    In my experience one of the first signs that friends and family notice about dementia is when someone starts making unwise financial decisions, often made to please & also for attention. It is upsetting for everyone concerned & sometimes the "seller" actually decides to help. I hope they do decide to help here. This seems to happen when every other sphere of their life is running normally, such as being where they said they would be, cooking, cleaning, all with no problems.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    In my experience one of the first signs that friends and family notice about dementia is when someone starts making unwise financial decisions, often made to please & also for attention. It is upsetting for everyone concerned & sometimes the "seller" actually decides to help. I hope they do decide to help here. This seems to happen when every other sphere of their life is running normally, such as being where they said they would be, cooking, cleaning, all with no problems.

Good post. I too hope they decide to help. I think that's far more likely to happen if you can avoid trying to apportion blame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure