Tesco and Barclaycard Platinum - Money Transfers?

Options
Hello to you all,

I have both a Tesco Clubcard credit card and Barclaycard Platinum credit card - both at £0 balance and I pay my balance in full each month. I have had both cards around 2 years now.

My question is about the Money Transfers facility they offer. I have phoned both banks today (and in the past) and in my experience they never seem to have offers on this facility.

I would just like to know in people's experience - do they 'ever' push out offers on Money Transfers or should I maybe look for an alternative card that provides offers on this facility as it is something I am interested in using.

(I am just a bit wary of applying at the moment as I have applied for a few things recently but will hold off if that is the best move to make).

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give,

creditcardnewbie :beer:

Comments

• liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barclaycard do...but generally you can only transfer online to a Barclays account. If you want to transfer to another bank you need to call them up, so a bit of a faff!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Apply for a specific money transfer card. MBNA is a good bet, but try an eligibility checker first.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    MBNA are a bit odd these days. They might well do good offers to newcomers, but in recent years their "existing customer offers" I've been getting have been much worse than for other cards I hold. In particular, the fee I get offered for money transfers is usually 4.9% for a 12 month 0% deal.

I haven't used my MBNA for over a year, except for a single transaction of £35 last January which I paid off in full. They just increased my limit from £19K to £20K.
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 13 January 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    creditcardnewbie - I also went through about 5 months without a single money transfer offer from Barclaycard. I called them and said I need a MT as opposed to the BT they were offering. They said it depends on the customer's profile. Eventually got one in late December.
    Apply for a specific money transfer card. MBNA is a good bet, but try an eligibility checker first.

Seconded.
    MBNA are a bit odd these days. They might well do good offers to newcomers, but in recent years their "existing customer offers" I've been getting have been much worse than for other cards I hold. In particular, the fee I get offered for money transfers is usually 4.9% for a 12 month 0% deal.

Agreed. Their existing customer offers are poor. I have never had a 0% offer for a MT or BT from them. Only at 22.9% with an outrageous 5% handling fee.
    liviboy wrote: »
    Barclaycard do...but generally you can only transfer online to a Barclays account. If you want to transfer to another bank you need to call them up, so a bit of a faff!

This is completely untrue. I have completed money transfers online from my Barclaycard to my NatWest and First Direct accounts numerous times over the last 2 years.
  • liviboy
    Options
    creditcardnewbieThis is completely untrue. I have completed money transfers online from my Barclaycard to my NatWest and First Direct accounts numerous times over the last 2 years.

Please don’t reply saying this is “completely untrue”. Every single money transfer offer I’ve ever received from barclaycard has required me to call with information from the LETTER sent to my home address. The information was not on the online offer and online I could only enter a Barclays account number and not another UK bank or building society account.

I’m getting really sick of this forum with people’s replies! A bit of common courtesy wouldn’t go amiss!
  • liviboy
    Options
    In fact here’s another poster with the exact same scenario as me:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66860596&postcount=4

How dare you call me out to be a liar!! Just because YOU haven’t had to call doesn’t make what I said “completely untrue”. It’s just not true for you!
  • liviboy
    Options
    And another post which seems to suggest that SOME customers can transfer online whilst others are required to call.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66864543&postcount=7

Once again I ask you to withdraw your statement that what I said was “completely untrue”.
  • liviboy
    Options
    Weybridge78 has decided to PM me instead of posting in public.

Apparently I am “pathetic” for linking to posts proving them wrong!

I’ll take that as acknowledgement that my experiences and their experiences are not mutually exclusive but are true for what we have both experienced.

Apologies to the OP, I was only trying to give you my experiences of Barclaycard Platinum where money transfer offers aren’t as easy to utilise as say Virgin, MBNA or even Halifax which, if I had wanted to, I could have always taken up completely online, compared with Barclaycard who required me to call up with a code from the letter received.
  • creditcardnewbie
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate everyone's input on this and it has helped me a lot.

I applied for MBNA and was accepted for 0% for 37 months so great result there.

I'll maybe hold on to the Tesco and Barclaycard cards (for now) and keep one eye on their offers.

Again, thank you so much for everyone who has replied so far.

creditcardnewbie :beer:
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My MBNA card has a permanent MT and BT offer on. It’s 0% for 12 months BT with a 3% fee, and 0% MT for 12months with a 4% fee. The 4.9% offer is for a much longer period..three years if I remember correctly. These offers have been available online for years for me, and they keep reminding me.....every month.....by email and letter!
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure