Should I report neighbour for fraud?

Options

Comments

• trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Usual he/she might have a little bit more than me story.

I love the way people 'know' their neighbours business.

I can't believe that any poster is fooled by this.

But as to money in general just don't talk about it.
  • Stop_Watch
    Stop_Watch Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    I would say 95% of sickness benefit claimants including MOST on this forum have stretched / bent the truth to get PIP/ESA. It just seems to be part of todays snowflake entitled culture.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    But if you are claiming points because you can't prepare a meal then being able to cook to ease your anxiety contradict each other - they can't both be true.

Not really, As the point of being on these benefits is suppose to help people, And it sometimes cannot be a life time award, So sometimes people just need to do stuff outside their comfort zone.

That's assuming they have the capability to turn a cooker on and do whatever, Am sure the assessors noticed this. Or in the evidence.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stop_Watch wrote: »
    I would say 95% of sickness benefit claimants including MOST on this forum have stretched / bent the truth to get PIP/ESA. It just seems to be part of todays snowflake entitled culture.

Pick a number.....any number.....present it as fact with no supporting evidence whatsoever....
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    Can't stand people like this, Yes report fraud, But don't report someone because of jealousy or bitterness.

Seems OP doesn't want people eating certain foods because they're on benefits! Everyone who passes an assessment talks about it, And of course glad they passed or got enough points. A western democracy having to have people show you have enough points to be deemed sick.

Someone with anxiety, Cooking and baking does actually help with symptoms and takes ones mind off those symptoms.

The OP has explained what they see as inconsistencies / lies between what the claimant supposedly told PIP and their own direct experience of the claimant. The OP has not said the claimant shouldn't eat certain foods, they have said that the claimant stated they were unable to cook when that is apparently untrue.

How should entitlement to incapacity benefits be determined if not by making some form of calculation? Just believe what the claimant says? That's basically what happened with DLA and is the reason for replacing it - there was a massive level of fraudulent claim under the old system.

I'll restate what I said before, the OP should report the potential fraud and provide as much evidence as possible. The relevant authority will make the final decision. If the claimant has made a false claim they deserve to be caught, and if they are bull****ing about what they said during interview the shock of being investigated won't do them any harm either.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 1:41PM
    Options
    But if you are claiming points because you can't prepare a meal then being able to cook to ease your anxiety contradict each other - they can't both be true.

Yes they can, as I explained above. The OP says the neighbour got points because they wander off and forget they've put something in the oven. The points this would get are for needing supervision. The claimant lives with her father and so it's entirely possible (or even probable) that she's cooking with him to supervise. Which actually confirms the points were correct.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would certainly NOT report the neighbour...there is no real evidence of fraud...and more than a suggestion of wanting to stir-things-up

As has been pointed out, PiP is not means tested....and you can work full time and still claim it. In fact, for a number of people, they are able to work BECASUE of Pip...it helps cover 'additional expenses'.

As for the argument that the claimant claims points for not being able to cook, and yet clearly manages a roast or some cookies....you need to understand PiPs ...to satisfy a criteria you need to be able to do the stated task, reliably, repeatedly. safely and in a reasonable time....so the claimant would need t be able to do this for the majority of the time, and without risk to herself, and in a reasonable amount of time. (I have days when I can manage a small meal...and I have times when I cannot make myself a cuppa....like many people, my condition varies)

The idea that if you are not committing fraud you have no reason to fear an investigation is wrong. Claiming disability benefits is stressful...and being investigated can cause real worry that your lawfully-awarded benefits will be taken from you.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stop_Watch wrote: »
    You must have a crystal ball hidden somewhere to say something like this. I have no idea how you can say that without knowing anything about anyone that posts here.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Totally disagree with this. My daughter can't prepare a meal because she's not safe holding a knife, she forgets what she's doing, and when it comes to cooking it, she wouldn't know when it's cooked, she wouldn't even know when something is hot enough to eat.

She can do this with supervision, in fact she has a support worker that supports her to do this. She scored 4 points in that PIP descriptor. Reason being....she needs supervision to cook or prepare a simple meal.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would certainly NOT report the neighbour...there is no real evidence of fraud...and more than a suggestion of wanting to stir-things-up

The OP is wanting to do the right thing, there is no harm in reporting something, so long as it is an honest report. The benefit Office will dismiss the report if it is irrelevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure