Having a second phone line fitted

Options
Hi, we let a section of our home on Airbnb,and have decided to have a second phone line fitted so they can have a separate wifi connection.
At the moment we are with BT but due to switch to sky next Tuesday.I have just phoned them to see about having another phone line fitted and they said it has to be a different address,and we would need to get in touch with the council and BT and register that section of the house as a separate residence.Are they right? I didn't think it would be this hard to have a second line fitted.

Comments

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve had BT put two lines into my house. Not a big deal. The wiring was already available - it just needed new wires from the master socket to the new phone point and another connection in the Openreach cabinet.

I don!!!8217;t know why Sky would be different as I assume they!!!8217;d have to use Openreach just like BT. Maybe Sky don!!!8217;t offer second lines.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's probably too difficult for the Sky front line staff to cope with so they make some guff up to get you off the line. You can certainly have two phone lines to a residential address, I did back in the days of dialup as people complained they could never telephone me as the line was permenantly engaged due to the modem. That was with BT though.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    expensive way.

just give them your wifi, unless they look really dodgy !
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got both Sky and Virgin BB to my house.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get a router that supports multiple wifi networks and VLAN with bandwidth quota so they can have part of your wifi, but not all of it.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a second line put in about 2 years ago, I was with Sky at the time. I live in a bedsit, (just wanted a socket near to the computer rather than a cable trailing all over the floor) and there is only one address.

I'd ask to speak to someone who knows what they are doing. Or call back another day, there is no way you need to make a new address- that's crazy! It took me about 5 minutes to sort out and about a fortnight for them to sort out.

It's BT that do the work, but Sky who request it. It was around £125 IIRC
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 lines in a bedsit ???

You can have extension sockets, which are a lot less than £19/month
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 May 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Can I ask why you feel that your guests need a separate WiFi connection through a separate line?

Seems an expensive route to go down.

If you are concerned about them hogging bandwidth then something along the lines of Owains suggestion in post 6 sounds like a solution.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Korkyb wrote: »
    Can I ask why you feel that your guests need a separate WiFi connection through a separate line?

Seems an expensive route to go down.

If you are concerned about them hogging bandwidth then something along the lines of Owains suggestion in post 6 sounds like a solution.

I watched Panorama last week and it's made me very nervous,they showed how easy it was for fraudsters to hack into your wifi and they can see all your passwords ect.
    They suggested you change your wifi password,everyone I know just uses the one on their router.We just give everyone that stays with us the router one so I thought if we had separate wifi for guests it would stop the risk,.
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 May 2018 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Get a router that supports multiple wifi networks and VLAN with bandwidth quota so they can have part of your wifi, but not all of it.

Thanks for your reply,we have unlimited broadband it's more about security.

I am not very techie,do you mean you can have a router that several providers can use at the same time,if so I thought they all send their own routers when you join them.I thought it was one phone line to one broadband provider.

We have just left BT and switch to sky tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure