SKY early termination

Options
bbarroso
bbarroso Posts: 103 Forumite
edited 17 May 2018 at 10:00PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi All,

Sadly due to illness of a family member Ill have to leave the country soon. I have provided notice to my landlord to leave early July and I will need to cancel my SKY service (broadband + talk) early. I understand SKY are entitled to charge for the remaining months until completion of the 12 month fixed term.

Question:
I had a mid term contract increase of £1.01 during the current billing period (23rd April to 22nd May). I don't recall sky having written about it, but in either case, since I'm within 30 days of the increase, is this a valid reason to be able to leave penalty free should I call them now?

Should it be not, is it reasonable to think I might be able to negotiate an exit fee that is more advantageous that paying the period left (6 months)?

I appreciate the help in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You'll have to pay an Early Termination of Contract (ETC) and there is nothing in your post which indicates that you are somehow entitled to pay less than your contract stipulates.

However, approach this tactfully and you may be able to negotiate a deal.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You have to give notice if you intend to leave due to a price rise within 30 days of the notification, not within 30 days of the actual rise. As they would have had to have given you at least 30 days notice in advance of the rise, you will be well out of this period now.

Sky will be able to tell you when they emailed you about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure