PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• cathh70
    cathh70 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    _____________________________________________Mortgage 1 £80k paid off july 2014Mortgage 2 £213k paid off May 2021
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cathh70 wrote: »

I think it may be a 'spot the (black) dog' too. ;)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Here's a great house for someone. Strange that it's been around so long that the agent's board features on Street View.

Just think, apart from having huge trees shielding your house from sunshine after mid morning, you may also have the joy of waking to noisy birds and the fun of aphids dripping their sticky honeydew over everything you leave outside.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28038150.html

The agents must be commended for their bold attempt to turn a negative into a selling point. Perhaps they could throw in a recipe for rook pie too, though it would never be allowed in these PC times, and therein lies the problem....:(
  • StumpyPumpy
    Options
    AutumnMist wrote: »
    Look how close the tumble dryer is to the loo. Imagine taking a duvet or something out of the dryer, it would be all over the toilet. Germs :(
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20324304
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • StumpyPumpy
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Here's a great house for someone. Strange that it's been around so long that the agent's board features on Street View.

Just think, apart from having huge trees shielding your house from sunshine after mid morning, you may also have the joy of waking to noisy birds and the fun of aphids dripping their sticky honeydew over everything you leave outside.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28038150.html

The agents must be commended for their bold attempt to turn a negative into a selling point. Perhaps they could throw in a recipe for rook pie too, though it would never be allowed in these PC times, and therein lies the problem....:(
    I'd be happy to live in a wood and listen to the birds in the morning - we have trees outside our house and you get to recognise individual birds, no complaints about it from us, whether it be rooks, pigeons, song birds or even the parakeets! It would certainly be better than listing to the traffic roaring down the A road that the house is on, I'm sure the trees provide good screening against that.

What would put me off that house is its proximity to a 1000+ pupil school and the associated noise and activity it will create. And I wonder how many generations of children have "explored" the woods by their school (aka your garden)

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • EvaCustard
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    Picture 3 - do those chairs have lights in or just massive bits of bling? Where do you even buy this stuff??

Well, you know that lady who makes the dresses in MBFGW?, her husband has a furniture shop*

*Totally made up but deffo as someone else said, traded up from a caravan!!
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options

I really wish I hadn't read that _pale_
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Davesnave
    Options
    I'd be happy to live in a wood and listen to the birds in the morning - we have trees outside our house and you get to recognise individual birds, no complaints about it from us, whether it be rooks, pigeons, song birds or even the parakeets! It would certainly be better than listing to the traffic roaring down the A road that the house is on, I'm sure the trees provide good screening against that.

What would put me off that house is its proximity to a 1000+ pupil school and the associated noise and activity it will create. And I wonder how many generations of children have "explored" the woods by their school (aka your garden)

SP

You don't have a rookery though, and neither do I, but I know a few people who do. They tell me one gets used to it. Perhaps the turnover of houses in that part of the village has nothing to do with it. ;)

I agree the planting of trees is a 'Good Thing,' or I wouldn't have hundreds, but I haven't planted any immediately to the south and west of my house so that we'll be robbed of whatever sunshine is going in the future. Maybe you don't grow things, but it's quite a discipline establishing planting under a tree canopy like that, as I'm finding out.

As for schools as a neighbour, I think they're a positive if you're not on the main route home or in the careless parking zone. Yes, it may be a bit noisy for a few short periods weekdays in term time, but pupils breaking out? Not nowadays. Most have perimeter fences worthy of Stalag 17, though whether that's to keep the kids or the public safe is maybe a moot point!
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    As for schools as a neighbour, I think they're a positive if you're not on the main route home or in the careless parking zone. Yes, it may be a bit noisy for a few short periods weekdays in term time, but pupils breaking out? Not nowadays. Most have perimeter fences worthy of Stalag 17, though whether that's to keep the kids or the public safe is maybe a moot point!
    But the house in question is adjacent to the main entrance, so you will get all the traffic bother and transit noise associated with a school of this size, which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

You sound like someone that hasn't/doesn't live next to a large secondary school: "Short periods weekdays in term time"? You haven't factored in the after-hours clubs, the weekend sports, the breakfast clubs, the summer schools or the evening events.

I didn't say the kids needed to "break out" but you do raise an interesting point that perhaps reflects on the area in which you live more than anything else. The schools around where I live are not like Stalag 17, no locked gates nor different perimeter fences than they did in my day, and the older pupils come and go during break times relatively freely.

Can't comment on what Mlford Haven is like in terms of fencing the kids in as I've never been there, but I do know what living near a rookery is like. I grew up in a house that had a row of poplars near to it that in winter showed they had more nest than tree.

I much prefer the sounds of wildlife to the sounds of traffic and screaming children, I guess for you that is not the case. It is OK to be different.

SP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure