I don't live in a fibre area....help!

Options
Basically what the title says, I recently moved and have quickly realised the broadband I signed up for with EE is extremely slow.... currently in discussions with them trying to terminate my contract early as I've had nothing but problems with them not providing the "guaranteed speeds" but that's a whole other issue.

I don't live in a fibre area, so is the only alternative Virgin Media?? The previous owners had Virgin Media and there is a socket to plug the router cable into, so no problem there, but there isn't a VM phone socket, will I have to get an engineer out?

This is all very new to me so I'm a bit clueless! Thanks!

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the house has had virgin media it is fibre. One of the best ones available.

Virgin media doesnt have to use a landline. You can get one installed if you wish but the broadband does not require a landline.

Depends on the set up if you need an engineer out. Id imagine if everything is good they will look to avoid it but then they do like to install the tv boxes and make sure eveything is set up correctly. The tv packages arent compulsory either but at the time a few years ago i couldnt get the broadband package cheaper than the tv and broadband packages.
  • MsBrown
    MsBrown Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I meant to say I would be looking at getting a broadband and phone package (not really interested in the tv package). So presumably I'd need a Virgin phone socket installed?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    talk to them.

If its a recent install the phone may piggy back off the fibre/coax connection
  • MsBrown
    MsBrown Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks...I have called them but they don't know the answer and want to send an engineer round (at a cost of £40) which I don't really fancy paying if it's just a case of something I could have done myself (i.e plugged it in!)
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    4G is another option for fibre-speed internet, so long as you have decent coverage and can cope with a capped service.

I currently use EE for my home internet connection, was getting 120Mbit/s last time I checked. They're currently offering 50G a month for £35 which I think is quite a good deal:
    https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Three offer 100Gb on 4G for £40 a month. Apparently, only available in store.

If you want to buy online, the best you can get is 40GB for £23 a month.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check that you really don't have FTTC.

After years broken promises,we were left as a no fibre estate surrounded by people who could have the service and I had requested to be informed when fibre became available.

I assumed this was still the case, a few months ago,as I had not seen Openreach vans at the box across the way, the box is unchanged and I'd had no information about switch on.

However, by chance I noted that provider sites were now quoting our house for fibre, so checked with Openreach's site, to find we were enabled and able to make an order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure