Carers allowance question

Options
Hi, hope someone can help.

I care for my husband and i recieve the £64 per week for Carers allowance but this gets deducted from UC every calander month.

I cannot see any logics in claiming carers allowence that is being paid in one hand but being deducted via UC.

Am i right in thinking that if i stop carers allowance being paid weekly the amount being deducted from UC would not be deducted?

Thanks Debbie:)

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Because you receive carers allowance and additional carers element would be added to the Universal Credit

If you stop the carers allowance claim, you would lose this element. You would also lose your National Insurance credit which is going towards your state pension/B]
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    trojan1964 wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone can help.

I care for my husband and i recieve the £64 per week for Carers allowance but this gets deducted from UC every calander month.

I cannot see any logics in claiming carers allowence that is being paid in one hand but being deducted via UC.

Am i right in thinking that if i stop carers allowance being paid weekly the amount being deducted from UC would not be deducted?

Thanks Debbie:)
    It may look like you're worse off but in fact you're not because of the premium that's added to the UC.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    Because you receive carers allowance and additional carers element would be added to the Universal Credit

If you stop the carers allowance claim, you would lose this element. You would also lose your National Insurance credit which is going towards your state pension/B]

In fact the carers element is paid regardless of whether you claim carers allowance, so what the OP suggests is possible. You do of course need to qualify the other conditions - i.e. the person you care for gets the appropriate disability benefit and you care for over 35 hours per week.

Regarding the NI contributions, it is correct that you lose class 1 contributions if you discontinue the carers allowance, however UC will generate class 3 contributions. Both qualify for state pensions, however class 1 will count towards contribution based benefits too. This may not be an issue.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    WillowCat wrote: »
    In fact the carers element is paid regardless of whether you claim carers allowance, so what the OP suggests is possible. You do of course need to qualify the other conditions - i.e. the person you care for gets the appropriate disability benefit and you care for over 35 hours per week.

Regarding the NI contributions, it is correct that you lose class 1 contributions if you discontinue the carers allowance, however UC will generate class 3 contributions. Both qualify for state pensions, however class 1 will count towards contribution based benefits too. This may not be an issue.
    To me it's rather obvious that the OP cares for her husband for 35+ hours per week and the husband claims a qualifying benefit, if not then the OP wouldn't be claiming the CA to start with.
  • trojan1964
    trojan1964 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    UC have stopped the carers element £151 because they state that you cannot claim that element and claim LCRWA at the same time.

By claiming carers allowance this is taking out of UC payments so i cannot see any logics in this.

I do care for my husband for more than 35 hours per week and he is in receipt of PIP, enhanced rate for daily living and standard rate for mobility.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    UC have stopped the carers element £151 because they state that you cannot claim that element and claim LCRWA at the same time.

By claiming carers allowance this is taking out of UC payments so i cannot see any logics in this.

I do care for my husband for more than 35 hours per week and he is in receipt of PIP, enhanced rate for daily living and standard rate for mobility.

I do not understand why you are not receiving the Carer's element. Are you sure?

Look at you award letter.

The only reason you wouldn't receive it was if you ( not your husband) were receiving the LCWRA element.

If you are unsure go to CAB and ask for a benefits check up.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See also https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5840598

Go to your local CAB and ask them to get advice from their central EAT team - when combined with the overpayment issue this is not straightforward. You need accredited advice.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    I do not understand why you are not receiving the Carer's element. Are you sure?

Look at you award letter.

The only reason you wouldn't receive it was if you ( not your husband) were receiving the LCWRA element.

If you are unsure go to CAB and ask for a benefits check up.

Quite.
    Looks like another UC error.

See: https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/entitlement-to-uc/elements/
    " the claimant cannot get the LCWWRA element and the carer element if they are the one who satisfy the criteria for both."

So, you should be getting both as a couple -
    Your husband the LCWWRA element (as he satisfies that criteria), and
    You the carer element (as you satisfy that criteria)

Write this on your UC journal, and challenge the decision to withdraw the carer element in a Mandatory Reconsideration letter.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • trojan1964
    trojan1964 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    They have just stopped this without giving notification.

I will ask for a mandatory reconsideration.

The other part that i cannot understand is that UC take from UC award £279.93 for the Carers Allowance that i am claiming for looking after my husband.

I can put up the statement for this month if that helps.

We ended up being paid £1,069 UC this month, the benefit calculator states we should be recieving £1,542.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    They have just stopped this without giving notification.

I will ask for a mandatory reconsideration.

The other part that i cannot understand is that UC take from UC award £279.93 for the Carers Allowance that i am claiming for looking after my husband.

I can put up the statement for this month if that helps.

We ended up being paid £1,069 UC this month, the benefit calculator states we should be recieving £1,542.
    That is correct because Carers Allowance will then pay you. Either weekly, 4 weekly or i think every 12/13 weeks which ever you chose when you applied for the CA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure