Co-owned house - causing friction

Options
My mum, sister and I own a property together (my sister 25% each since our father died 14 years ago, M&D were separated at the time of his death but not divorced).

My sis and I found out the other day that our mum has instructed quite significant work to the property. She noticed that the plaster/render had blown under one of the windows, so she called a builder that she knows (he re-covered her shed roof last summer) and he chipped a bit away and then said that the whole house had blown and needed removing and re-rendering. Within 1 day they had put up scaffolding and stripped the house (original quote for work was £11.5K). My sister was a little shocked when she drove past! I don't live locally so haven't seen it but have seen photos.

Of course (and I’m not surprised) they have found areas of brickwork that are damaged/soaking wet and falling out, wet beams and mum has since told us that there has been water leaking into the spare bedroom for years – now the quote is up to £16.5K.

A bit of background. At the time of our Dad’s death, mum was still working but on a low income and was panicking about how she would cope with any large maintenance bills (ie, new roof), if needed and we assured her at the time that if needed we would somehow work it out between us. We also agreed that this was her home and she was responsible for its’ upkeep, general maintenance, wear and tear, decoration, bills etc. We do not live there, and haven’t for 25+ years and have our own homes to pay for. Since this time she has received money from Dad’s estate, an inheritance, our dads pension, her pension and has re-married and he gives her money too, so her financial situation is far better than ours.

Mum has, in the past instructed various workmen to do odd jobs around the property which have been done badly - one of them definitely contributed to water getting into the property as she paid someone to run a cable from the roof and they just dangled it from the roof without securing it and drilled through the front of the house and didn’t fill the hole, you could see daylight through it, but she doesn’t care about this, has never got it rectified, she just pays them and they move on.

Following these incidents we asked mum to discuss any work that could de-value (or indeed add value) to the house before instructing anyone, and we would get 3 quotes and opinions before doing anything (which I would always be happy to do for her).

Mum is paying for this work, so in her eyes we don’t have a say but we are very worried that this building company are not up to the task (we have no proof of this and very much hope that all will be OK, but her argument that she “knows” him because he replaced the flat roof on the shed is not good enough as a recommendation for this scope of work from our perspective).

We feel strongly that as soon as they told her there was a bigger issue she should have said “Ok, this is a much bigger job than I originally thought, I would be happy for you to quote, but I need to discuss this with my family” and I would have done some research and found a couple of alternative companies to come and take a look, give their opinion and advice and do all we can realistically to try and protect Mum’s best interests financially and the property.

Our only concerns are protecting mum and the family home, but she has got very defensive and quite nasty and this has caused quite a lot of friction between us. We are determined not to fall out but it is very hard when someone is screaming down the phone. I don’t think we are being unreasonable but Mums' view is that we think she is an idiot and that we wouldn’t trust anyone that she has hired, which is not fair.

Last night we emailed the builder and explained that we are co-owners and that we wish to be copied on all quotes and correspondence. We have also requested copies of his insurance details, he says that his work is “guaranteed” for 20 years, and I asked how, in practice that works if his company goes out of business in 5 years – his answer was “this was my dads’ business, and has been going for years, so that will never happen”!

If you've got this far, thanks for reading!

What to do….

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi. Short of taking legal advice, I have no answer for you, sorry. Many legal firms offer free half-hour consultations. If you have legal cover on any insurance policy that is also a possible route.

All I can do is wish you luck. I suppose your mother regards the house as hers alone, whatever the legal position and as such regards your concerns as interference: It is your and your sister's inheritance but it is her home.

I agree with you that a job worth doing is worth doing well; it is cheaper in the long run but only you know what makes your mother tick. What does your sister have to say about it all?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Whilst I can appreciate that you & your sister want to protect your mum from cowboy builders and - lets be honest - your inheritance as well as any future inheritance, you're sending mixed messages.

On one hand you're saying mum crack on, it's your responsibility to keep the house ship shape & pay for it but on the other hand, you're saying we're co-owners we want a say in who does the work & how much it will cost you.

I think you need to decide which hat you want to wear.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My sister and I are in agreement, which of course to Mum means we are ganging up on her, which is not the case.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not sure that is a fair assessment gettingthere, it has been our family home all of our lives, not our "inheritance". I don't think it is unreasonable for the inhabitant of the property to pay the bills, decoration and maintenance, she is also the owner and has lived in it for 50 years. We wouldn't expect to be consulted on the colour of the carpet but this is a much bigger project which I think needed a little more consideration and discussion. We don't see it as my inheritance at all (certainly not for a long time as well, we hope), but there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect her and it, so please don't assume we are that mercenary.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I was your mother I'd be bloody furious with you and your sister. You leave her to pay all the upkeep of the house then complain that she,s not doing it right?
    If you want to check out the builder is he ltd company? You can check on companies house for financial situation. You are right regarding any guarantees, usually treat them as not existing. If I was the builder I would ask you to get lost, his contract is with your mother as she is the one instruction him and paying. The fact you own 25% of the property is immaterial
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    goochie wrote: »
    Not sure that is a fair assessment gettingthere, it has been our family home all of our lives, not our "inheritance". I don't think it is unreasonable for the inhabitant of the property to pay the bills, decoration and maintenance, she is also the owner and has lived in it for 50 years. We wouldn't expect to be consulted on the colour of the carpet but this is a much bigger project which I think needed a little more consideration and discussion. We don't see it as my inheritance at all (certainly not for a long time as well, we hope), but there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect her and it, so please don't assume we are that mercenary.
    But your first post implies that you and your sister each inherited your share after your father's death, which, by definition, makes it your inheritance :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    Have you and your sister. ever offered to pay towards building/repair costs?

When you talked about work on the house with your mum did she agree with your suggestion that any future major works should be discussed in advance of ordering?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to have read your post different to others, is your mum paying for the work herself or is she expecting you to chip in?

If she's paying herself then I don't see the problem, if she's expecting you to pay then of course you can insist on different quotes.

Have you looked up the builder on review sites to make sure he's up to the job?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I seem to have read your post different to others, is your mum paying for the work herself or is she expecting you to chip in?

If she's paying herself then I don't see the problem, if she's expecting you to pay then of course you can insist on different quotes.

Have you looked up the builder on review sites to make sure he's up to the job?

In the OP. First line of Para 7

"Mum is paying for this work so in her eyes we don't have a say......."
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Does your mum have a life interest?
    (fairly typical arrangement)

If she does then that share is in a trust and it is the trustees that need to deal with this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure