AMEX Passport Required?

Options
I applied for an AMEX but they've asked me to send a council tax bill and my passport, but I don't have a passport, they won't accept my driving license as proof of identity as they sent another letter today asking for a copy of my passport again.

What can I do? Do I have to have a passport in order to apply for an AMEX?

Seems a little bonkers.
4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have you phoned them to ask for an alternative? Most banks accept an alternative...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given how few Americans have a passport, there must be an alternative
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've had a look through their website and I can't seem to find anything on what documents they accept in the UK. For US customers they accept a range of documents, including driver licences so I'm not sure why they didn't accept yours. I would definitely give them a call to ask.

https://faq.amextravel.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84/~/acceptable-government-issued-photo-id
  • Shah1
    Options
    I apply for Amex
    Don’t give me instant decisions
    Asking me to send passport and proof of address
    Is that means my application approved?anyone please
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No.

It means it's referred.
  • Shah1
    Options
    Thank you for response I received letter today asking for ID ....I don’t know how good chance to be approved
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cannot understand the obsession with Amex.

Hardly anywhere in this country accepts it as payment, and they charge you a whopping £450 a year for the privilege, oh, but you do get points, nice Samsung TV only 153,880 points.......Hmmm thats one point a mile, how many miles to the shops...!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Amex platinum cashback is fee-free and gives 5% cashback for first three months then 0.5% (or 1% if you spend over £5k)

'Every Little Helps' as my other CC provider would say!

I find it's mostly small independent shops that don't accept Amex.
  • jim1999
    jim1999 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Cannot understand the obsession with Amex.

Hardly anywhere in this country accepts it as payment, and they charge you a whopping £450 a year for the privilege, oh, but you do get points, nice Samsung TV only 153,880 points.......Hmmm thats one point a mile, how many miles to the shops...!!

Only the platinum charge card is £450, which most people have for the insurance, hotel statuses and lounge access if they travel frequently for work - not for the points.

The other cards are much cheaper (e.g. £0 - £25), and are accepted in the vast majority of retailers. 1% back on all your spending is not to be sniffed at.

In all honesty, I'm equally puzzled by the number of people who slam them.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Amex platinum cashback is fee-free and gives 5% cashback for first three months then 0.5% (or 1% if you spend over £5k)

'Every Little Helps' as my other CC provider would say!

I find it's mostly small independent shops that don't accept Amex.

Small shops take Apple Pay and it takes AMEX :j

Haven't had issues using my AMEX in most online stores and instore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure