35 hour a week work search is becoming difficult. How to not get sanctioned?

Options

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    The DM portrays the 100s of totally inappropriate applicants for this chip shop job (they never take it) - many of them from 100s of miles away - on the 'workshy'. In fact all they're doing is following 'the rules'.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6409257/Chip-shop-owner-furious-workshy-job-hunters-just-trying-qualify-benefits.html

Shocking isn't it? If people took the jobcentre up on free college places gaining useful qualifications they could apply for a hell of a lot more than just chip shops.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    That's how our system is built.
    I made a visit to the jobcentre in Farnborough a few years ago to get a document copy certified (they do it for the public, free). The jobcentre was near empty, more staff than customers!
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    That's how our system is built.
    I made a visit to the jobcentre in Farnborough a few years ago to get a document copy certified (they do it for the public, free). The jobcentre was near empty, more staff than customers!

Well yes, but as I found out the system is also build to aid people in getting better qualified so they can apply for much more, if only they had the will to do it.
  • Stylehutz
    Options
    in my day I recorded all my job search manually hand written and refused to sign up for their jobsearch website. One of the reasons was that if for some reason all info was lost on computer after inputting a weeks activity, do you think they would believe you if you said you had recorded it all on computer and its now disappeared. I think not !
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    Some expert advice on how to play the system, but far less on how to get a job. Knock on doors and offer your services if you have to.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That is a dangerous route to go down. Once you start lying you need to have a very good memory and an ability to think on your feet.

Much better to do what is asked and be honest.

As others have said, at this time of year there is a huge amount of work going, from pubs and restaurants to warehouse or postal work. Even if you are someone who struggles to find work at other times of year it is far easier now.

I believe you record everything in an online journal. No need to remember and really its not feasable to expect people to remember every detail of what they do. I agree if you fib you have to be careful and think about it from all angles to ensure you cant be caught out. And yeah if you are able to fill 35 hours with genuine tasks then do it. My point is just about ensuring you cover yourself should you be struggling. Being honest and saying sorry i didnt manage 35 hours this week wont get you anywhere because they are not known to be reasonable. They make stupid rules like the 35 hours and look for excuses to sanction you. This means you have to be thinking about how to counter that. You should just be focusing on getting a job but the rules dont allow that.
    How easy it is to get a job is a side issue.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    The Advice for Decision Makers which presumably applies to the advisors in the Jobcentre as well is documented online, see from paragraph J3075 (on PDF page 17) here suggests the 35hrs isn't necessarily a minimum:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/720614/admj3.pdf

Not to find a loophole but it appears that as long as you do everything reasonable then that will be good enough. Of course you read stories about people who get sanctioned because they didn't 'look for work' on Christmas Day but there we go.

The majority will have to do 35 hours. It will take something quite strong to make them agree to less.
    My agreement says jobseek everyday so i do jobseek on xmas day. I queried it once while my agreement was reviewed. Is there anything you want to change they asked. I said the everyday thing because its unfair to not allow any free days at all in the 365 days of the year like xmas day or if i am sick. They said we take that into account so no we wont change it. I just thought great the rules dont say what you say and i cant prove you said it.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    gomer wrote: »
    And there I was thinking this was about finding constructive ways you can actually get gainful employment by going to college for free and getting the qualifications you need so that you wouldn't be so limited in what you can apply for.

OK then I suppose you might as well Just lie and blag it and spend your dole money down wetherspoons procrastinating about what excuse to give your adviser next week lol

No, its just understanding the first priority has to be to cover yourself. People have not argued against doing useful tasks. People just say if you are struggling then you may have to resort to some fibbing. Saying sorry i didnt manage 35 hours this week for whatever reason wont end well for the claimant.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Some expert advice on how to play the system, but far less on how to get a job. Knock on doors and offer your services if you have to.

How do you prove that. You need to check first that they will accept that. IF yes then yeah do it.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    I think I should clarify some more. The best thing is to just say tasks took a bit longer to ensure you fill 35 hours. Its not about avoiding looking for work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure