Slipping Through My Fingers

Options

Comments

• Happier_Me
    Options
    I don't think you're the only one seeing money slip through your fingers and then struggling to recall what you've actually spent. I have no hope with cash so I try to put as much on a credit card as I can (paid off in full each month). I'm ten days into my credit card month and I've just spent the last few minutes scanning through the transactions, absolutely perplexed by some of the spends I've made. At one point, I'd convinced myself I'd been a victim of fraud until an email search identified a transaction as a deposit for a school trip:o.

Good luck collecting receipts. It might be worthwhile trying to adopt some no spend days too. A few pounds here and there can quickly mount up to £100 a month or more.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Happier Me. I love your use of the word perplexed. It sums me up perfectly. I'm laughing at your school trip story, :rotfl:it's exactly the sort of thing I'd forget about.

I can see how putting everything on a credit card works, but you've hit the nail on the head, it only works if it's paid off every month. My credit card debt stems from not doing this. :o I've put stuff on with the intention of paying it off, but when my cash comes in I've been reluctant to part with it for something I've already had, so I've made a payment but kept most of my cash. Which of course also disappears. In my defence I stopped this habit about 18 months ago and haven't put one thing on my credit card since. Tell a lie, I've put a birthday present on from Mum that I had to order on line but paid it off straight away with the money she'd transferred into my bank.

I can definitely do no spend days, I'm not a fan of shopping but I do go out once a week and tend to pick up a few bits here and there as I'm trundling along, which is fine, I just need to remember I've bought them.

It's interesting how people manage their money. Already suggestions of spreadsheets, keeping receipts and credit cards have been mentioned. As long as somebody finds what works for them that's the main thing. Fingers crossed I'll find what works for me sooner rather than later. :D
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a receipt for everything! I even ask for a receipt in the charity shop and then I can tally it up when at home.

If every I can't get a receipt, I stick a note in my purse reminding me of what I spent, where and on what.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • teafor2
    Options
    I will Pollyanna. I've noticed some of the bigger stores now ask if you want a receipt and my inner environmentally friendly self tends to say no, but it's leaving me in a pickle.

I wrote some Christmas cards today. I always buy them in the January sales and can't remember the last time I paid full price for cards, wrapping paper, ribbon etc. I need to buy some stamps and it's things like this that come out of my money. As time goes on and I can track where the cash goes I might re-look at the joint account and see if we need to change a few things but stamps definitely won't be on the list as I only buy a book of 12 once a year for Christmas.

The point of that little waffle is I'm beginning to think I could be right, and that although it's 'my' money it actually gets swallowed up on things like this over the month. If that's the case I already know what my New Years resolution is going to be :D
  • teafor2
    Options
    Happy December Everybody :) Today is the first day of properly tracking my money and I'm determined to get to grips with it.

My starting amount for this month is £259. I can pinpoint where some money is going and feel better already for seeing it written down. Individually, none of the amounts are excessive but they all add up to £85 which is 33%-ish of my total spends, so that's one third gone already and it's only 10.30am :rotfl:

£10 into DC2 savings - DC1 had theirs when they left for uni
    £15 for coffees - I meet a friend a couple of times a month
    £20 Credit card - extra payment
    £25 Savings pot - hoping to increase this in NY, just don't want to leave myself short this month
    £15 charity donation - a one off Christmas donation

So that leaves me with £174 to keep track of between now and the end of the month. We're off to visit DC1 at uni today so no doubt I'll be on later making a note of what was spent.

Hope you all have a good day.
  • teafor2
    Options
    Spent a lovely couple of hours with DC1 at Uni. It's fairly local so easy enough to keep in touch every few weeks. I spent £15.85 on coffee and cakes so I've got £158.15 left.

Interestingly, and it's only because I'm on here monitoring my money, I'd say 9/10 times it's me that puts my hand in my pocket for things like this. Obviously I don't expect the Uni one to pay but I am taking a sideways glance at the husband.

So, 1st December I'm carrying forward £158.15.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Look forward to following :D

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • teafor2
    Options
    Thanks for visiting WannabeFree :)

Before I start can anybody tell me why I have to change my password every day? Is it because I'm new or does everybody have to do it? It's a bit of a faff isn't it.

Anyway, day 2/31 and I have £158.15 in the kitty with no plans to spend anything.

I've been thinking about my CC and savings plan. In the NY I was going to start saving £50 every month which means I'd have £600 this time next year.

At the moment I pay £100 off my CC every month and according to an online calculator this means the debt will be gone in December 2020.

But I'm wondering if I should stick to £25 savings and pay the other £25 off the CC which will mean I'd be debt free in June 2020.

I really like the idea of £600 savings by this time next year even if it means the CC takes longer to clear but as I'm not saving for anything in particular maybe I should pay more off the debt and bring the date forward.

There's always a chance I could have some money left over at the end of the month which could go into the savings but I don't want to count my chickens just yet - after all, this is only day 2 :D

Any opinions welcome. Have a great day everybody. :)
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    I use a free app called Spending Tracker on my phone which has made a huge difference to me. It's really easy to use and because it's on my phone I enter spends immediately - no getting home and forgetting what you bought! You can put your budget for the month in as 'income', then enter every spend as 'expense' as you go along: you can then look at all your transactions and see exactly where every penny has gone. If you rotate the phone it even shows a pie chart! Hope that helps.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2018 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Hello and welcome
    I use a book and balance centre the cash in my purse and amounts to be debited from my bank account - I always ask for a receipt!!

I "Tilley tidy" pennies in my bank account to pay off a stubborn scorecard

I aim for a 1/3 over the year to be "No Spend Days"

I started the penny per day savings plan at the start of the year so I have Christmas aid for!

Sounds like you are determined and oganised
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure