ISA rate cut today - how to move

Options
Virgin sent me an email today telling me they are reducing the interest on my ISA from the end of October from 1.1 to 0.51. I opened this ISA 2 years ago but most of the contents in it were deposited this financial year. So can I now find another supplier and move the money (using ISA transfer) or should I/ do I have to wait until April?

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can move ISAs between providers during the tax year and they will share details of your contributions so far this tax year so you will still have the ability to use the remainder of your allowance with the new provider.

Just pick a new provider, check they allow transfers in and then ask them to perform the transfer.

Alex
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Virgin sent me an email today telling me they are reducing the interest on my ISA from the end of October from 1.1 to 0.51. I opened this ISA 2 years ago but most of the contents in it were deposited this financial year. So can I now find another supplier and move the money (using ISA transfer) or should I/ do I have to wait until April?

Have you checked out their Defined Access e-ISA paying 1.11% (instant access with a limit of 3 withdrawals a year)?
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/defined_access_e_isa_issue_16/overview/

Might be easier than moving as the transfer would be instant.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A defined e-access is what I already have - why do they bump you off one to offer another with the same rate, if I'm going to go to the trouble of moving it - then I'll move it to another supplier. I haven't made any withdrawals so its not the 'defined' bit that's caused the rate drop. Just a bit miffed really. I already have fixed rate bonds with virgin.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2017 at 12:26PM
    Options
    The savings market is all about getting punters through the door with best buy rates then taking the customer through a journey to lower rates (while launching a new product with better rates to attract new punters) hoping the existing punters won't notice or care enough to leave.

Ideally the customer will continue to perceive the account to have a special quality (using bespoke terminology such as e-access) as they seek to reaffirm their original reason for opening it or they linger onto happy memories of the earlier interest payments.

So don't hold it against the providers (it's how you are getting access to unsustainable rates) just keep playing your part as the exception in the game moving to whatever will give the best return with the same or a new provider.

Don't get confused - it's not personal, loyalty doesn't pay (even when it does this is usually in support of cross selling) and it should be all about the money.

Alex
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    A defined e-access is what I already have - why do they bump you off one to offer another with the same rate, if I'm going to go to the trouble of moving it - then I'll move it to another supplier. I haven't made any withdrawals so its not the 'defined' bit that's caused the rate drop. Just a bit miffed really. I already have fixed rate bonds with virgin.

Yes, they all play the same game though, tbh its very easy to switch to the new account, you just apply and as part of that you can transfer in the old isa immediately.

Agreed though, it's a pain in the backside.
  • topgearfan08
    Options
    I was thinking of simply moving it from issue 7, to issue 16. However this year I opened a stocks and shares isa with cavendish....

Based on the below, I assume I am unable to transfer o this, as it will result in a second isa subscription this year?

Before completing your application please review the declaration below. If all details are correct select 'Confirm', alternatively select 'Back' to amend your details.
    Tax Year: 2017/2018
    I apply to subscribe for a cash ISA for the above tax year and to contribute to it for each subsequent tax year until further notice (subject to the terms and conditions of the account). Note this is an option, not an obligation.
    I declare that:

- All subscriptions made and to be made belong to me
    - I am 16 years of age or over
    - I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, more than the overall subscription limit in total to a Cash ISA, a Stocks and Shares ISA, an Innovative Finance ISA and a Lifetime ISA in the same tax year
    - I have not subscribed and will not subscribe to another Cash ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this Cash ISA
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, if you use the ISA transfer process to move all of your current year contributions from issue 7 to issue 16, that doesn't count as subscribing so is OK.

Not only that, but after you've transferred, you can subsequently subscribe to the new one if you have any of your annual allowance left, as the new one effectively becomes your cash ISA for the year, as if you'd paid into it all along....

That last line of the declaration is clumsily drafted though, so this isn't immediately obvious!
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Same for me. I just went to my online account, opened the issue 16 & ticked the box to transfer the existing ISA into the new one. Did it in about 30 seconds. Just waiting on the confirmation, but I'm not expecting any problems.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have online access for your current Virgin ISA (issue 5?), simply

* log on
    * scroll down to the 'open new account' option, and then
    * select the latest ISA (issue 16, which pays 1.1)
    * complete the application
    * when asked if you want to fund it from an existing Virgin ISA, select 'yes'
    * select your existing ISA from the drop-down menu

Virgin will then immediately
    * transfer your money to the new issue 16 account
    * close your issue 5 account

Your new issue 16 account will have the same account number/sort code.

It's quick, easy, instant.

Keep an eye out for issue 17 which will doubtless come along with a higher interest rate - so repeat the process!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure