Dog boarder without license

Options
Our dog carer is retiring and we today met a potential replacement who comes recommended and seems excellent. He has insurance but not a boarding license, which he says is because of the cost. My question is whether there is any implication for us of our dog staying overnight at someone who does not have a boarding license?

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    He won't be insured if something happens to your dog whilst in his care, for a start.

And if he won't apply for a license because it's 'too expensive', what else is he ignoring? Repairing the fence? Keeping the dog on a lead when out in public? Feeding it?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He won't be insured if something happens to your dog whilst in his care, for a start.
    Are you saying his insurance would be invalid if he was boarding dogs without a license?

Could you also please explain – putting aside for a moment the question of whether his insurance is valid – what types of issues are claimed on the insurance of a day/overnight dog carer and what type on the dog owner’s insurance?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Death of the dog,
    Getting out and being run over,
    Biting a visitor/child
    Fighting with another dog,
    Killing a cat that gets into the garden or escaping and killing a pet
    Escaping and going sheep worrying
    Eating chocolate
    Being stolen
    Being 'lost' and used for dog fighting
    Being used for breeding
    Catching a horrible disease that another animal has brought in

Things like that.

Your own insurance could refuse to pay out as well - they could argue that if the dog was in somebody else's property at night and they weren't licensed as an overnight boarding place, you'd actually sold/given it to them and were trying to get one over on the company by claiming it was still yours.

Sometimes, where cover is in place and everything is done properly, an owner's insurance will pay for the treatment/liability claims and then go to the kennel's insurers afterwards. Like a no fault/knock for knock car accident.

There's also the point that licensing as a boarding place requires inspection to ensure that the premises conform to the particular welfare standards. Without that, there is no way to know for sure that the dog spends its nights curled up on a sofa by the fire or is tied up in a shed with no access to food or water.

He might also have convictions for animal neglect or cruelty. You won't know that if he persuades you that you don't need to insist upon a licence.

https://www.protectivity.com/knowledge-centre/your-guide-to-dog-boarding-licences/

http://www.cfsg.org.uk/The%20Animal%20Welfare%20Licensing%20of%20Activities%20Involvi/g.%20Providing%20Home%20Boarding%20for%20Dogs%20Guidance%20Revised%2030.11.pdf
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The cost of a dog boarding licence is quoted as £140. Is that too much for someone who is charging for his services?

It is more likely he does not want the council inspecting his property or he cannot be bothered , in which case I would not be happy to entrust my pet to him.

Are you happy to entrust your pet to someone who is taking shortcuts and operating illegally?
  • aroominyork
    edited 30 March 2019 at 8:30PM
    Options
    I’m pretty sure the issue is that his small house wouldn’t meet the specs. He clearly understands dogs well and I have little doubt he is a good carer. So it comes down to the risk to us of him not being licensed.

I have just looked at our policy (with More Than) re third party liability and it says we are covered “if someone who is not a member of your family is looking after your dog… as long as you did not agree to pay them to look after your dog.” That suggests they would not pay out if the dog is with a paid carer, though nothing about paid carers is mentioned one way or the other. I can call More Than and ask, but is the general situation that if your dog injures a third party while with a paid carer, the claim is against the paid carer’s insurance?
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I’m pretty sure the issue is that his small house wouldn’t meet the specs. He clearly understands dogs well and I have little doubt he is a good carer. So it comes down to the risk to us of him not being licensed.

I have just looked at our policy (with More Than) re third party liability and it says we are covered “if someone who is not a member of your family is looking after your dog… as long as you did not agree to pay them to look after your dog.” That suggests they would not pay out if the dog is with a paid carer, though nothing about paid carers is mentioned one way or the other. I can call More Than and ask, but is the general situation that if your dog injures a third party while with a paid carer, the claim is against the paid carer’s insurance?

I would't leave my dog with them, if they won't do the insurance then they don't really care enough for my dog...
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • aroominyork
    Options
    Paparika wrote: »
    I would't leave my dog with them, if they won't do the insurance then they don't really care enough for my dog...
    He has insurance, but not a boarding license. So I'm asking about whose insurance - owner's or carer's - is claimed against for third party injuries. We have a 45kg 18 month GSD so he could accidentally knock someone over.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The law says he should have a licence even if only boarding a small number of animals in his own home. There are fines or potential imprisonment (worst case scenario) for not doing this.

I would wonder what other corners he was cutting if he thinks it's ok to ignore the legislation because he doesn't want to pay out.
    Does his insurance cover 3rd party liability because from what you've quoted from your policy there are exclusions for paid carers.

I know there are new more stringent inspections happening at the moment - my kennels say I'm going to have to show paperwork ref vaccs and worming, sign to agree my dog can see their vet etc.
    He may not want the hassle, but if he doesn't he should not be running the business.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    “if someone who is not a member of your family is looking after your dog… as long as you did not agree to pay them to look after your dog.” How does that not men a paid carer? He is not a member of your family and you are paying him.

Morethan exclude cover if looked after by a paid carer as the carer's insurance should cover it. They do not want to be liable to pay out money for someone else's negligence.

But if his insurance is valid without a licence , then he does not have insurance.

Any claim would be against you as the dog's owner.
    You would then have claim from the dog carer.If he had no money then you wouldn't be able to get any recompense from him unless he had insurance.

What happens if you have left your dog with him, the council find out he is operating without a licence and instruct him to stop boarding immediately. ( which is what they would do) What happens to your dog?

But you seem to be wanting to find justification for trusting your dog's care to him.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our dog carer is retiring and we today met a potential replacement who comes recommended and seems excellent. He has insurance but not a boarding license, which he says is because of the cost. My question is whether there is any implication for us of our dog staying overnight at someone who does not have a boarding license?

Nobody on MSE is qualified to give you anything more than opinion (based on experience and common sense), but you are dismissing that and looking for certainties.

Ask your veterinarian AND a council inspector.
    Are you saying his insurance would be invalid if he was boarding dogs without a license?

Could you also please explain – putting aside for a moment the question of whether his insurance is valid – what types of issues are claimed on the insurance of a day/overnight dog carer and what type on the dog owner’s insurance?

Ask your pet insurance provider AND his insurance provider.

He has insurance, but not a boarding license. So I'm asking about whose insurance - owner's or carer's - is claimed against for third party injuries. We have a 45kg 18 month GSD so he could accidentally knock someone over.

Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport