50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bugslet, really pleased you were able to reach a decision about when you will retire. Expect you are feeling greatly relieved :)

crv, pleased everything is progressing well. You always sound very organized and extremely energetic - puts me to shame lol.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi MRAPJI I find it hard to chill out sometimes, but I'm not the most organised person, have to push myself at times, hoping things do progress but having a bit of a nightmare today with being disorganized with the direct debits and trying to shop for my mother on line!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    I'm another one who used to find it difficult to relax, but now I'm retired I have no trouble at all :). You have my sympathy in respect of the online shopping. Recently I've been roped-in to do a bit of online shopping for an aunt who's in her 90's - it's enough to try the patience of a saint!
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    Oh, I am so looking forward to relaxing when I retire. I never feel rested recently, always tired and a weekend is never enough.6 months to go!
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    Oh, I am so looking forward to relaxing when I retire. I never feel rested recently, always tired and a weekend is never enough.6 months to go!

I'm sure the next 6 months will fly by :). A stroke forced early retirement upon me, but what I've really enjoyed is being able to ''live in the moment''.
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    I'm sure the next 6 months will fly by :). A stroke forced early retirement upon me, but what I've really enjoyed is being able to ''live in the moment''.

Hope you are fully recovered now and enjoying your retirement.
  • crv1963
    Options
    Finally getting some time to catch up!

Sorting The eternal battle with the spare bedroom and it's role as the "go to" for dumping stuff in is coming to head tomorrow- we're going to be dog sitting for sister in laws dogs while she and her family take an annual holiday to Paris. Not that it's actually that bad a few hours should see it cleared. Have to use it for her dogs overnight next week as we're both working nights.

Finally sorted my mothers on line shopping out, lol, I'll take her physically shopping in the future. Admiration for those that can battle on a regular basis with shopping for food on line as opposed to a quick purchase from a one off site. I thought shopping on line was supposed to be both quick and stress free. Not in my case!

Spending Overspent on payday, but am now the owner of two decent coats from charity shops, washed up well and saved me a large amount against their cost new. Got two new with labels cotton work shirts for £2 each as well.

Saving Got my last £200 into the Christmas Savings Club and next year the NHS Trust is outsourcing this scheme so not sure if I'll put as much in next year, thinking of saving some in the local credit union, maybe help others with my savings?

Looking at the different ways to save into Mrs CRV pension, not over keen to have more going into her NEST Pension as she can't salary sacrifice, so thinking of putting £200 pm into a SIPP for her exploring this further when we see the IFA in December/ January.

Other News Having a relaxing day doing little really- nights and then training yesterday means I've not stopped. I may be cynical but it seems that everything is needlessly over complicated as time goes on, did a basic life support course (compulsory for work) now we don't just check airway, breathing, circulation but have D= disability, what is causing the problem and E= Expose and examine. I thought D+E were what caused ABC and had to be tackled to restore the person to breathing? Maybe I am the idiot the guide is written for?

Stayed at my lodgings near work when on nights, slept well but on coming home the Border Collie was put out that I sat next to Mrs CRV on the sofa! Landlady has been nice and got me a wardrobe, and had a discussion about this site as she is looking at increasing income and retire early stuff.

Car serviced- I wish I was practical with things like that though at £200 for the service and a pair of winter tyres for another £155. Still should at least keep me safer when the snow comes.

Mrs CRV got the jukebox going and sewing herself an outfit, and has said she'll get make me a coat!

Busy researching building hen houses/ sheds/ hedgehog boxes. I'm also looking for recycled wood, found some relatively locally for £25 delivery so I'm going to rebuild the shed using timber for the framework that's recycled, the cladding will be new as it's easier to paint. Just got to find some slates or shingles for the roof. Definitely planning on making somethings to sell once the shed is sorted.

Reading up on being an author- I firmly believe there is a good book in everyone, so thinking of spending some time looking at whether I could have a go at writing one.

Hens still laying but tailing off a but Tuffty our oldest has stopped already. Still giving them away as we don't eat 28 a week.

That's all!

People with purpose, goals and vision have no time for drama. They invest their energy in creativity and focus on living a positive life!
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    [QUOTE=crv1963;75

Landlady has been nice and got me a wardrobe, [/QUOTE]

Crikey, I hope she's not dreaming of you moving in on a ''permanent'' basis lol:D
  • crv1963
    Options
    Lol, no ManofLeisure,

Bought me a wardrobe so I have somewhere to hang my work shirts. I think part time staying suits me and part time lodger suits her. Working in the same field helps, in different teams also helps, gaining different perspectives of professional problems.

She is looking to retire early so is looking for the elusive second income stream. Renting a room out wont get her there but helps short term. Steady income.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great catch up there CRV. Lovely to read your progress.

I'm still beavering away but at least I can go at my own pace and don't have any bosses breathing down my neck or have the dreaded office politics to contend with.

I love my retired life now, stress free, relaxed and although I'm often busier than ever it's busyness of my choosing and doing stuff I enjoy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback