Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CDW/LDW is not the issue...it is whether there is any Excess payable in the event of an incident. Do you ask?

CDW & SLI most definitely are the issue ;) there is an excess, but I can afford to pay that if I have to. What I didn't want to have to afford was the $40,000 to replace the car if it's written off (which CDW covers); and what I couldn't afford was the $1,000,000 costs if I hit someone (which SLI covers).
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    N1AK wrote: »
    CDW & SLI most definitely are the issue ;) there is an excess, but I can afford to pay that if I have to. What I didn't want to have to afford was the $40,000 to replace the car if it's written off (which CDW covers); and what I couldn't afford was the $1,000,000 costs if I hit someone (which SLI covers).

You misunderstood. CDW in itself often leaves an Excess payable.
    If there is an Excess, you can cover it with a relatively inexpensive standalone insurance policy.
  • Woodmancity
    Woodmancity Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 August 2014 at 8:50PM
    Options
    I've just returned from Ibiza where I hired a car for a few days from Europcar. I followed the MSE advice & arranged my own Excess Insurance in advance. I dropped the car off at the airport at 1am so there was no-one to inspect the car but I followed the instructions and dropped the keys into the secure 'letterbox' at the Europcar desk having parked in their area of the airport car-park. There was NO damage to the car & I took pictures. The fuel was FULL as I filled it at the last petrol station before the airport. I have now been charged on my Visa two sums totalling over £600. I presume this is for damage/fuel but I have had no contact with Europcar & wondered how I now proceed.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    I've just returned from Ibiza where I hired a car for a few days from Europcar. I followed the MSE advice & arranged my own Excess Insurance in advance. I dropped the car off at the airport at 1am so there was no-one to inspect the car but I followed the instructions and dropped the keys into the secure 'letterbox' at the Europcar desk having parked in their area of the airport car-park. There was NO damage to the car & I took pictures. The fuel was FULL as I filled it at the last petrol station before the airport. I have now been charged on my Visa two sums totalling over £600. I presume this is for damage/fuel but I have had no contact with Europcar & wondered how I now proceed.

Contact Europcar and ask for a detailed invoice. If not forthcoming, dispute the charge with your credit card supplier. You can supply them with details, including pictures.
    The sooner you do it the better, as they can freeze the amount so that you don't have to pay it.
  • russ331
    russ331 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm off on a fly-drive holiday to the North East USA in a few weeks time. I have a paper UK Driving Licence.

I'm uncertain as to whether I also need an International Driving Permit? Having checked the US Embassy website & the Car Hire Terms & Conditions, I think it's not necessary.

I'd get one from my local Post Office on a belts & braces basis, however, the nearest one that provides this service is an awkward journey, which I'd rather avoid unless I actually need an IDP.

Please confirm I'll be ok with just my paper UK Driving Licence.
  • Bri1
    Bri1 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    russ331 wrote: »
    I'm off on a fly-drive holiday to the North East USA in a few weeks time. I have a paper UK Driving Licence.

I'm uncertain as to whether I also need an International Driving Permit? Having checked the US Embassy website & the Car Hire Terms & Conditions, I think it's not necessary.

I'd get one from my local Post Office on a belts & braces basis, however, the nearest one that provides this service is an awkward journey, which I'd rather avoid unless I actually need an IDP.

Please confirm I'll be ok with just my paper UK Driving Licence.

The paper UK licence will be fine in the US, along with your passport for photo id, But I find that the new card licence is ideal for the US as it slips easily into wallet card section & can be used as ID anywhere so don't have to carry passport around all the time
  • DollyPeel
    DollyPeel Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I have just read through this entire thread (jeezuzwept) and am now even more confused :(
    Our holiday is only 3 weeks away and we (three of us) have decided to book a car. I've been through all the sites in the article and am frightened to book incase I make a deal with the devil.
    So, I need help...
    We need the car for a week, Sep 22-29. Automatic/4 doors/full to full /pick up in Santa Eulalia, Ibiza.
    Two car places keep appearing..Holiday Autos and Argus car hire. Both don't seem to be 'nice'
    How on earth do I find a car hire/rental firm that will give me what I want ?
    This is Day 3 of my hunt and I'm starting to get quite depressed about the whole thing :(
    also..what is the insurance called that I need to cover the excess on the insurance (if that makes any sense)
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    DollyPeel wrote: »
    Hi
    I have just read through this entire thread (jeezuzwept) and am now even more confused :(
    Our holiday is only 3 weeks away and we (three of us) have decided to book a car. I've been through all the sites in the article and am frightened to book incase I make a deal with the devil.
    So, I need help...
    We need the car for a week, Sep 22-29. Automatic/4 doors/full to full /pick up in Santa Eulalia, Ibiza.
    Two car places keep appearing..Holiday Autos and Argus car hire. Both don't seem to be 'nice'
    How on earth do I find a car hire/rental firm that will give me what I want ?
    This is Day 3 of my hunt and I'm starting to get quite depressed about the whole thing :(
    also..what is the insurance called that I need to cover the excess on the insurance (if that makes any sense)

Pickups are generally at the airport. Surely better for you if you are flying in and out.

Automatics are relatively expensive. With Hertz; £150 to £175 for a manual Corsa/Leon. £294 for a Hyundai i30 Automatic.

Car Hire Excess Insurance for £2.99 per day or less from an independent.
  • DollyPeel
    DollyPeel Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    The car hire is for the middle week in our holiday so we won't need one at the airport. Santa Eulalia is our holiday destination so we would have liked to get one local.
    *Car Hire Excess Insurance for £2.99 per day or less from an independent.*
    Thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    DollyPeel wrote: »
    The car hire is for the middle week in our holiday so we won't need one at the airport. Santa Eulalia is our holiday destination so we would have liked to get one local.
    *Car Hire Excess Insurance for £2.99 per day or less from an independent.*
    Thanks

In that case, the only option that fits your requirements is EuropCar:GARAJE STA EULALIA DEL RIO. CTRA ES CANA KM 1.2. SANTA EULALIA 07840 IBIZA. Phone: +34 971336111

That is the option offered by Holiday Autos. So you can go via them or directly to Europcar. Excess will be at least 850 Euros.

Holiday Autos £212

Europcar £220

I'd go direct and get your own excess insurance. If they claim any damage, get full documentation from them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback