Confusion Over Pension

Options
O.k....The other day I received my Old Age pension notification letter, giving a figure of £147.81 per week.....the government website says that I will get £152.51 per week.....which is correct ??....the gov. website also says that my NI contribution record for 2017/18 is not available yet.....I have over 40 years of contributions.......any clarification welcome....
Retired (Early) April 2015

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A lot of your contributions will be pre-2016, so the whole 40 years won't count under the new state pension system. Possibly when the website has updated to include your 2017/18 contributions the weekly figures will tally.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated
  • Jack_Itin
    Jack_Itin Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that.....I realise that I won't get the full amount, because I was contracted out for some years.....they still say that I can contribute, to allow me to get the £152.51, but I have been advised to ignore this, as people are given two free years.....is this correct ?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Not everyone gets the 'free' years - you have to be male and born before a certain date. Basically, if you had had a twin sister, she would have received her State pension at 63 years and X months, whereas you, as a male, will have to wait until you are 65. As part of the re-equalisation of State pension ages, your twin sister's State pension age is your Pension Credit age. This not only gives you access to means tested benefits, if you qualify, but also - as in your and Mr S's cases - non means tested goodies such as the Winter Fuel Allowance (you had to apply for it) and NI credits if you weren't working (applied to your NI record automatically).
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Automatic NI credits for a man over female SP age maybe?
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jack_Itin wrote: »
    Thanks for that.....I realise that I won't get the full amount, because I was contracted out for some years.....they still say that I can contribute, to allow me to get the £152.51, but I have been advised to ignore this, as people are given two free years.....is this correct ?

Depending when you were born, yes:

https://www.gov.uk/automatic-pension-credits-for-men
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ninja'd by Silvertabby :D
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    O.k....The other day I received my Old Age pension notification letter, giving a figure of £147.81 per week.....the government website says that I will get £152.51 per week.....which is correct ??....the gov. website also says that my NI contribution record for 2017/18 is not available yet.....I have over 40 years of contributions.......any clarification welcome....

The website includes the April 3% increase but your letter doesn't. £147.81 plus 3% = £152.24. Mr S's figures were a few pence out as well - don't know why.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If your contributions record for 2017/18 is required (it gives the final amount to drag you across the line) then without that you have to wait for that to be available.

When the autocredits for men who are over female SPa are added I don't know but it shouldnt take long.

I assume you SPa is after 5th April 2018, otherwise 2017/18 is not a qualifying year anyway.
  • Jack_Itin
    Jack_Itin Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I should be eligible for the free two years......state pension kicks in on 30th April 2018.......
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    Yes, I should be eligible for the free two years......state pension kicks in on 30th April 2018.......

Did you claim your Winter Fuel Allowance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure