PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    :j used up all my leftovers from the fridge - small portion of hm cottage pie, radishes, celery, gem lettuce, rocket, cherry tomatoes, green pepper, sliced meats, new potatoes, cucumber, coleslaw & the sm chicken legs. I left enough of my dinner to have lunch tomorrow :T but DSis & DH ate all theirs :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I bought 6 punnets of 10p YS cherries yesterday :j:j:j - I love cherries but they're normally out of my price range! I've kept some in the fridge and frozen the rest whole, so hopefully they'll defrost ok. If they're not good enough to eat raw, I'm sure I can make a lovely pie
    or something with them :)

I'm down to my last wrinkly orange in the fruit bowl, so all good on the over ripe front :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What a bargain with the cherries My DGS works part time at a local coffee shop and the chap there makes gorgeous muffins using up fruit as a filling His apple and cinnamon ones are to die for At the moment the top selling ones are strawberry as there is a bit of a glut in the shops locally being in season I daresay you could de-stone them and make some muffins once defrosted in the depths of the winter for a bit of summer sunshine.I like to freeze surplus fruit and use it if I can in crumbles etc when the weather is bad in Jan/Feb to remind me of warmer days :) or even turn into jam

I spent a good hour last night topping and tailing and washing a big bag of green beans I had been given from my neighbours allotment They are now all bagged up and in the freezer. I have made her a small fruit cake, and some melting moments biscuits as a thank you.

Fair exchange is no robbery as is said, I often get odds and ends from neighbours who know my aversion to binning perfectly good food and I am always happy to help with the surplus odds and ends.

At the moment I have in my freezer for free, a bag of green beans a big bag of rhubarb, a bag of carrots, and thats apart from some chilli's my young neighbour had a go at growing and suddenly had quite a glut of them.

My sis-in-law keeps me in chutney when she has too much stuff and I keep all the jars I can find for her,I also have another friend who gave me some jars of HM damson jam which went into victoria sponge cakes as a change from strawberry jam. My motto is if its at all edible then I will find a use for it :):) or recipe

JackieO xx
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I found a random box in my fridge this morning.

In my apparent haste to gobble down my ice-cream, nectarine, cream and hazelnut combo last night I had actually put the ice-cream in the fridge instead of the freezer. It's the first time I've bought ice-cream this year, and it had all of 3 small scoops taken from it. What a waste of money :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Making a new salad recipe for lunch and it called for sugar snap peas which I hadn't got so I picked some runner beans from the garden instead and it's blooming tasty!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    What a bargain with the cherries My DGS works part time at a local coffee shop and the chap there makes gorgeous muffins using up fruit as a filling His apple and cinnamon ones are to die for At the moment the top selling ones are strawberry as there is a bit of a glut in the shops locally being in season I daresay you could de-stone them and make some muffins once defrosted in the depths of the winter for a bit of summer sunshine.I like to freeze surplus fruit and use it if I can in crumbles etc when the weather is bad in Jan/Feb to remind me of warmer days :) or even turn into jam
    It makes my day when I get a bargain like that, there were about 5 or 6 which had gone bad across all of the punnets, which was fair enough at 60p for the lot, and the others are perfect. I had a couple in my chopped fruit this morning and they were lovely, a bit like the ones you get on cheesecakes or cakes, which I guess are also frozen, but saving some for winter baking sounds perfect too, like I say I can hardly ever justify buying them (the punnets would have been £2 each, outrageous!) so it makes sense to spread the enjoyment :):)
    I spent a good hour last night topping and tailing and washing a big bag of green beans I had been given from my neighbours allotment They are now all bagged up and in the freezer. I have made her a small fruit cake, and some melting moments biscuits as a thank you.

Fair exchange is no robbery as is said, I often get odds and ends from neighbours who know my aversion to binning perfectly good food and I am always happy to help with the surplus odds and ends.

At the moment I have in my freezer for free, a bag of green beans a big bag of rhubarb, a bag of carrots, and thats apart from some chilli's my young neighbour had a go at growing and suddenly had quite a glut of them.

My sis-in-law keeps me in chutney when she has too much stuff and I keep all the jars I can find for her,I also have another friend who gave me some jars of HM damson jam which went into victoria sponge cakes as a change from strawberry jam. My motto is if its at all edible then I will find a use for it :):) or recipe

JackieO xx
    That all sounds wonderful, I think swapping is such a good idea :)
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I found a random box in my fridge this morning.

In my apparent haste to gobble down my ice-cream, nectarine, cream and hazelnut combo last night I had actually put the ice-cream in the fridge instead of the freezer. It's the first time I've bought ice-cream this year, and it had all of 3 small scoops taken from it. What a waste of money :o
    Oh no! Could you try refreezing it and see if it is edible?
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Do people eat mango skins? I'm new to mango, but I bought one for a recipe and didn't end up using it, so I chopped a bit for my fruit this morning, and left the skin on.

The skin was a bit hard and not that nice, so I googled whether it was edible (after the event!), and it seemed to say that it contains lots of nutrients but can cause an allergic reaction? The same as to poison ivy, which I've never been near so no idea if I'm allergic to it or not!

The annoying thing was that it seemed to say that it might take days for any allergy to show!

So I'm wondering if the norm is to peel or eat the skin?

Also what do people do with the stones? I guess they don't compost well?

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't actually like mango but the one time I had it I didn't eat the skin. I would have thought it would be very hard to digest which would account for why it can take a few days to show if you have an allergy.

Stones always go into my food waste bin which the council collect. I think because it is composted at a large plant even the stones break down because of the heat generated. I doubt a home compost heap would get hot enough for them to break down.

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too wouldn't want to eat the skins ,but I love mangoes and like them smashed up in ice cream .I bought some mango sorbet from Aldis a little while ago and its in the freezer and is a delicious change from ice cream or ordinary cream on top of desserts.

The stones would probably take a month of sundays to break down I would think.
    xx
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I also peel mangoes before eating, I like them this time of year with lime zest and a squeeze of juice. I worked with a Nigerian woman who would eat them like an apple including the skin.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback