Virgin Money - Don't want your business

Options
Jaypharris
Jaypharris Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 17 July 2018 at 6:51PM in ISAs & tax-free savings
I need to share the experience last week with Virgin Money.
I am an existing customer and have been for 3 years. My ISA has just matured and although there were higher rate ISA options with other providers I thought "for ease" stay with Virgin. I setup a new account online. Transferred my yearly allowance into it and sent an online message to transfer in my existing ISA of $xxk. I was contacted to verify my status and personal details. I found this strange as an existing customer and I verified this information 3 years ago at a branch in Croydon. I sent the required docs form List A and List B. These were returned. Still no online access. I called on Friday and was told they could not open my account i need to come into one of their branches. Their nearest branch to me is 22.5 miles away. I enquired if they would pay my travel costs - NO. I argued and I have logged an official complaint. They told me to go with another provider which I did on Friday Charter Savings Bank., Amazing from Friday to today I received my letter with my unique user ID and I have logged in and my Virgin ISA is already in my account. I had to call Virgin again today as my £20k is still somewhere in the system. Goodbye Virgin Money you clearly have no desire to keep your customers. I highly recommend Charter Savings Bank...... :j:

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Virgin, and other banks/building societies, have to comply with money laundering regs, each time I open a new account to transfer money to the new account VM ask me for ID as they can only use previously provided ID up to 6 months after it was submitted to them.

Glad you found another company to use.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've opened several accounts with Virgin and have never had to send them ID information The idea that you need to send them when you already have an account with them seems bureauocratic stupidity.
  • Evesham_Hardcore
    Options
    that's annoying.

I have a S&S ISA languishing with them which I will move as part of my new found interest in investment (no pun intended), so it's interesting to hear about another reason to move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure